Thread: No Man's Sky

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I had a friend that got frustrated with the game after a couple of hours of play, got piss ed off at how barren and lifeless the game was, etc. And he sounded just like every other person complaining.

Last night I sat down with him, explained to him how to upgrade his ship, multi tool and exosuit, explained to him how to find high class planets with lush environments and rare resources. Explained much of the game to him and now he's loving the shit out of it.

So my analysis proves more and more right all the time. The people bad mouthing the game were those who spent very little time because the game did not show them how to play and they got frustrated and bored with not know g what they were "supposed" to do in a sandbox.

Once you explain to them how to play and the open ended nature of game play of sandbox, and that Preston Garvey is not going to hold their hand through tutorial modes, they start having a ton of fun.
    I think the core issue is that some people don't understand what "exploration-based gameplay" means.

They expect it to mean a setting like open-world games, where convenient little treasures are evenly spread across the map. But that's not "exploration", that's 100% clearing a map.

NMS is about diving into the unknown, just to see what's there. And what's there might be eh, or it might be fantastic. You don't know. That's the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-.../1100-6442802/

Are mods even ok to use considering that uploads are shared across everyone?
    I'd disagree with a few of those, like the hyperdrive boost; you're not really gaining anything but time, and skipping over content. I'm using a graphics mod to tweak some of the graphics features the settings don't allow, but that's got no effect on anything gameplay-oriented.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just found a really small moon next to a regular normal sized planet, real close you can see it rise and take up most of the sky.
    It's like really really small moon, you can see that it's round from the lowest fight point. I just circumvented it in 11 minutes at lowest altitude at 220u/s.

Not to mention the planet is purple-blue-red with rocks sticking out. It was awesome.

To people who complained that you cannot fly real low and between the rocks - well upgrade your ships, because with all the thrusters upgrades I can fly real low, real fast and between those rocks. I fly practically at tree level - I can see fauna during flight.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-.../1100-6442802/

Are mods even ok to use considering that uploads are shared across everyone?
    I've been using Fast Action mod for a while, and it makes the game so much better. It still needs a speedup for getting text and menu items to appear when talking to npc's or interacting with objects though.

I'm honestly surprised they're allowing you to alter hyperdrive speed and be invincible etc. That will let those people reach the center of the galaxy instantly and claim "rare" discoveries while others play the legit way. Unless using mods makes you unable to upload discoveries?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I'm honestly surprised they're allowing you to alter hyperdrive speed and be invincible etc. That will let those people reach the center of the galaxy instantly and claim "rare" discoveries while others play the legit way. Unless using mods makes you unable to upload discoveries?
    Can't really stop it unless they make it serverside

15+ Year Old Account
    If Hello Games wanted to protect the "integrity" of whether or not players could cheat, then they would have had a lot more info server-side. But then of course, players couldn't play while offline. And since it's not a strictly online, yeah, players are gonna mod.

I don't want "cheating" mods so much as quality of life mods like instant NPC text and smoother interface.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Okay how long is this journey to the centre of the galaxy? I'm warping like a mofo and I'm still 177380 light years away. I found some sort of Atlas station with an NPC that put a black hole on my map and that seemed to take me closer but I've not seen any more of those stations and I've not seen any more black holes. Don't tell me I have to manually warp well over 100 times?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Okay how long is this journey to the centre of the galaxy? I'm warping like a mofo and I'm still 177380 light years away. I found some sort of Atlas station with an NPC that put a black hole on my map and that seemed to take me closer but I've not seen any more of those stations and I've not seen any more black holes. Don't tell me I have to manually warp well over 100 times?
    Way, way more.

As far as I know, the max warp range per-warp is about 1680ly; that's about what I can pull off. You need all three warp reactor upgrades, with the highest in the middle, so it's getting boosted by the two next to it.

And that's 1680ly along the wiggling paths between stars. In practice, that works out to somewhere between 300-500ly, direct-line. Per warp. In terms of getting closer to the center.

Black Holes seem to take you about 2000ly closer per, on average. So way faster than warping, but you'll have system repairs to handle (each black hole transversal breaks a ship system).

My "express-route" method is to fully charge my Hyperdrive (5 warp cells), hit a black hole system as far into the center as I can and jump into it, and repeat that three more times. Then, with the last hyperdrive jump, I find a blue star at near-max range, ideally with 3+ planets/moons. There, I spend some time doing repairs and getting more stuff, and then I'm off again. If I have enough stuff hoarded, I might make more warp cells en route and add more black hole travel.

I'm at just under 110k light years, now. I usually get about 10k closer per 5-jump session.

It's expected that a relatively fast push to the center should, from game start, be about 30 hours.

Edit: Do try finishing the Path of the Atlas before making a solid push for the center. That's my only recommendation. Bonus: It's the only thing you need Atlas Stones for (I think), and you need the 10 you'll get from hitting Atlas stations, so you may as well get it out of the way and get that inventory space back.

How do you find black hole systems? Also how do you find Atlas stations? Early on a couple of Atlas stations showed up on my galactic map but they're not showing any more. I think I managed about 3 Atlas stones before I stopped getting any stations.

It seems a lot of players are completing the game in 20-30 hours but it seems I have much further to go. I don't know how to finish the Path of the Atlas, I don't even know what that is, lol. Meh. I just want to get to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    If Hello Games wanted to protect the "integrity" of whether or not players could cheat, then they would have had a lot more info server-side. But then of course, players couldn't play while offline. And since it's not a strictly online, yeah, players are gonna mod.

I don't want "cheating" mods so much as quality of life mods like instant NPC text and smoother interface.
    they could have done a checksum of the gamefiles when you launch the game and flag your save to prevent data uploads.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    How do you find black hole systems? Also how do you find Atlas stations? Early on a couple of Atlas stations showed up on my galactic map but they're not showing any more. I think I managed about 3 Atlas stones before I stopped getting any stations.

It seems a lot of players are completing the game in 20-30 hours but it seems I have much further to go. I don't know how to finish the Path of the Atlas, I don't even know what that is, lol. Meh. I just want to get to the end.
    That's the wrong attitude to have in No Man's Sky. It's very much about the journey.

For black hole systems, there's something you get eventually, if you do the right stuff. I really don't want to spoil it. You CAN find black holes and atlas interfaces on the map by clicking on the system, too; instead of the planet readout first, it'll say "Black Hole" or "Atlas Interface". As long as you stay on the Atlas path each Interface, it should point you to another relatively nearby one, and give you a waypoint there to follow.

You can spoil it for me if you like, I don't care. I've googled it but I can't find what I need. Apparently you randomly get 'anomaly detected' on the galaxy map but this has happened to me only once. I've clicked dozens of systems but it says nothing about black holes or Atlas Interface, just the usual system info. You say 'follow the Atlas path', what does that mean?

The way I usually play games is get to the end quickly the first time then take my time on subsequent playthroughs. I've maxed my suit and ship so all that's left is get to the centre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    they could have done a checksum of the gamefiles when you launch the game and flag your save to prevent data uploads.
    Wouldn't stop memory editing

I like how I never heard about this game until I just saw a ton of YouTube videos on my sub box saying how much of a lie it is. As someone who has NOT followed this game at all until literally yesterday, it looks neat... for a $20 early release title.

If it got all the content that was supposedly removed from it, I'd totally jump on this game. Seems like an awesome sandbox game that's just extremely lacking things to do.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game was such a massive fucking letdown, so many things that where promised that are not in the game, but I expected that.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Way, way more.

As far as I know, the max warp range per-warp is about 1680ly; that's about what I can pull off. You need all three warp reactor upgrades, with the highest in the middle, so it's getting boosted by the two next to it.

And that's 1680ly along the wiggling paths between stars. In practice, that works out to somewhere between 300-500ly, direct-line. Per warp. In terms of getting closer to the center.

Black Holes seem to take you about 2000ly closer per, on average. So way faster than warping, but you'll have system repairs to handle (each black hole transversal breaks a ship system).

My "express-route" method is to fully charge my Hyperdrive (5 warp cells), hit a black hole system as far into the center as I can and jump into it, and repeat that three more times. Then, with the last hyperdrive jump, I find a blue star at near-max range, ideally with 3+ planets/moons. There, I spend some time doing repairs and getting more stuff, and then I'm off again. If I have enough stuff hoarded, I might make more warp cells en route and add more black hole travel.

I'm at just under 110k light years, now. I usually get about 10k closer per 5-jump session.

It's expected that a relatively fast push to the center should, from game start, be about 30 hours.

Edit: Do try finishing the Path of the Atlas before making a solid push for the center. That's my only recommendation. Bonus: It's the only thing you need Atlas Stones for (I think), and you need the 10 you'll get from hitting Atlas stations, so you may as well get it out of the way and get that inventory space back.
    :I

Omg... I was thinking of doing the atlas path first and then jumping to see the center... but damn. That is so going to take a loooooong time.

A question about black holes... so I talked to some dudes. I got them to mark me a path to a blackhole in galaxy map. At this time I wasnt even sure what I was doing, but I decided to do the atlas path first. So now I got that black hole waypoint. Do they need to be taken in some kind of order? Will I need to get back to that point somewhere much closer to where i started the game? How will I find more blackholes, if I don't? Do I just click on the stars until something pops up saying there is one?

Also... there appears to be a scan for discoveries button on galaxy map (tab), but it doesnt seem to do anything. Is this related to finding black holes? IT seems to DO something when I use my controller, but with keyboard nothing happens at all. I don't even know what happens when I use it with controller, but the icon changes and "does" something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    :I

Omg... I was thinking of doing the atlas path first and then jumping to see the center... but damn. That is so going to take a loooooong time.

A question about black holes... so I talked to some dudes. I got them to mark me a path to a blackhole in galaxy map. At this time I wasnt even sure what I was doing, but I decided to do the atlas path first. So now I got that black hole waypoint. Do they need to be taken in some kind of order? Will I need to get back to that point somewhere much closer to where i started the game? How will I find more blackholes, if I don't? Do I just click on the stars until something pops up saying there is one?
    There's no "order". You're free to do whatever, whenever. I haven't reached the center, yet. I do think I put off doing the Atlas path for too long, which is why I recommend finishing it in the earlier part of your time; it isn't the "endgame".

I'm also trying to be as spoiler-free as possible, which is why I may seem vague on some points.

Also... there appears to be a scan for discoveries button on galaxy map (tab), but it doesnt seem to do anything. Is this related to finding black holes? IT seems to DO something when I use my controller, but with keyboard nothing happens at all. I don't even know what happens when I use it with controller, but the icon changes and "does" something.

I'm not actually convinced that button does anything.

Angryjoes review

Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-22 at 04:18 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Any word yet on fixing the hyperdrive bug? Really getting tired of the one system I've been stuck on since day 3

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Any word yet on fixing the hyperdrive bug? Really getting tired of the one system I've been stuck on since day 3
    And starting a new game has not yet accord to you?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death