Thread: About Illidan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wildmoon, the eternal guardian of Illidan's true legacy. Blizzard will never get away with their whitewashing and lies!!1!1!one!!1! Wildmoon will always be here to set the record straight!!111!1!!!!eleventy!!1!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Because back then Illidan was never "the savior Illidan" Blizzard is trying to make him into now. He didn't give a fuck about anyone. He just wanted to escape KJ's wrath. Killing the legion was just a mean not an end for Illidan back then. He wanted to defeat the legion so he would be hailed as the hero. The goal is being the glorious hero.
    So? He was a chaotic neutral in WC3 they retconned that and made him into a one-dimensional villain with designated insanity in TBC and I don't see you whining about that.

Give it a rest man

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Wildmoon, the eternal guardian of Illidan's true legacy. Blizzard will never get away with their whitewashing and lies!!1!1!one!!1! Wildmoon will always be here to set the record straight!!111!1!!!!eleventy!!1!!1
    He's not though.

He's defending TBC Illidan.

Which made absolutely no fucking sense, and wasn't Illidan's true legacy for that matter either.

I've been posting on Story forums for a decade now about how badly they fucked up TBC plot and how it made no sense from his WC3 character.

What they're doing now isn't whitewashing Illidan.

They are fixing the mess they made in TBC, or at least doing as much damage control as they can at this point

- - - Updated - - -

Legion Illidan appears much more in line with WC3:ROC/TFT Illidan (aka True Illidan) than TBC Illidan ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Kil'Jaeden needed him to destroy Lich King by then, and Illidan was good enough at hiding his true intentions & pretending to be subservient. Compared to other demons, such as Archimonde, KJ is rather forgiving sometimes. He is willingly to give someone a chance if he thinks that someone can still be used. Gul'dan gave him the middle finger for a while in the Tomb of Sargeras, yet KJ didn't go all indignant and is still treating him well enough now.
    Ummmm no KJ is the one who wanted Velen and the Draenei dead for years upon years while Archimonde didn't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    Illidan is a big bait for the community, mainly because he looks cool and because the 10000 years plot summary
    Pretty much. Most of the people who were excited about Illidan in WoW were "12 years old" when they played WC3 and thought "maaaaaan he's soooooo coooooool" when he really wasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos View Post
    So? He was a chaotic neutral in WC3 they retconned that and made him into a one-dimensional villain with designated insanity in TBC and I don't see you whining about that.

Give it a rest man

- - - Updated - - -

He's not though.

Which made absolutely no fucking sense, and wasn't Illidan's true legacy for that matter either.

I've been posting on Story forums for a decade now about how badly they fucked up TBC plot and how it made no sense from his WC3 character.

They are fixing the mess they made in TBC, or at least doing as much damage control as they can at this point

- - - Updated - - -

Legion Illidan appears much more in line with WC3:ROC/TFT Illidan (aka True Illidan) than TBC Illidan ever did.
    Being as selfish as he is does not make him neutral. He was chaotic evil. Greed is pretty much an evil trait and Illidan ALWAYS had it in boatloads.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? He was a chaotic neutral in WC3 they retconned that and made him into a one-dimensional villain with designated insanity in TBC and I don't see you whining

He's not though.

- - - Updated - - -

TBC Illidan was perfect. We saw him like almost every Azerothian saw him, a villain with no other goal than growing his power. We didn't see the true side of him, we didn't realize that we were fighting the enemy of our enemy when Kael'Thas was summoning a Lord of the Burning Legion TWO FEET FROM A MAJOR CITY! We should feel bad for what we did, for once we were not the good guys. Killing Illidan was a sad failure on our part in a game that is full of NOTHING but stereotypical saving-the-day antics. I really hate that they are taking it away because too many people didn't understand BC's plot intricacies. I'm sure Blizzard has taken note of this and will only create your regular fantasy hero troupe stories from now on. In before someone bashes this comment saying BC story was lazy and are too butthurt about how they didn't see it now that the novel Illidan spelled it out. No, it wasn't a retcon. THAT WAS THE STORY ALL ALONG! Can writers not have subtlety anymore? Can we have a game where not every character /yells their motivations and plans in front of some random dirty mercenary?

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Ummmm no KJ is the one who wanted Velen and the Draenei dead for years upon years while Archimonde didn't care.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. Most of the people who were excited about Illidan in WoW were "12 years old" when they played WC3 and thought "maaaaaan he's soooooo coooooool" when he really wasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Being as selfish as he is does not make him neutral. He was chaotic evil. Greed is pretty much an evil trait and Illidan ALWAYS had it in boatloads.
    You're just being naive if you think selfishness is inherently evil.

He was chaotic neutral.

He was chaotic neutral.
    He was not. See I can blatantly state "no you're wrong" with no support as well.

He was not. See I can blatantly state "no you're wrong" with no support as well.
    Being selfish is pragmatic. It's not a matter of good or evil. Prudence is the art of self-interest.

Your argument hinges on backwards religious system of morality and ethics.

7+ Year Old Account

He was chaotic neutral.
    Actually there's a good case to be made for him as chaotic good as well.

Chaotic Neutral
    The true individual, the chaotic neutral character prizes their own freedom above all else. They do not want ties to either good or evil to influence them, preferring to make their own way as they see fit. Most chaotic neutral care nothing for people in their groups, have little to no allegiances, caring only for themselves. Most Elemental Lords, or the Netherwing Dragonflight are of this alignment. Kael'thas Sunstrider is a good example how a Chaotic Neutral can be. Illidan Stormrage is also an example of a character with this alignment.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Alignment

Guess that settles that debate

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    Actually there's a good case to be made for him as chaotic good as well.
    Every major philosophy and religion in the world begs to differ. So you're in a minority if you think greed is not evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Chaotic Neutral
    The true individual, the chaotic neutral character prizes their own freedom above all else. They do not want ties to either good or evil to influence them, preferring to make their own way as they see fit. Most chaotic neutral care nothing for people in their groups, have little to no allegiances, caring only for themselves. Most Elemental Lords, or the Netherwing Dragonflight are of this alignment. Kael'thas Sunstrider is a good example how a Chaotic Neutral can be. Illidan Stormrage is also an example of a character with this alignment.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Alignment

Guess that settles that debate
    Chaotic evil
    A chaotic evil character tends to have no respect for rules, other people's lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have much regard for the lives or freedom of other people. Chaotic evil characters do not work well in groups because they resent being given orders and do not usually behave themselves unless there is no alternative.

100% Illidan. He couldn't live in NE society(as seen in the quest in Legion with Cenarius) while being told what to do. He's selfish and cruel. The same bs about freedom from the neutral is in there.

Also your post was just something someone wrote on their own so the implications of Kael or Illidan are not anything supported by in game saying so. It was someone's opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every major philosophy and religion in the world begs to differ. So you're in a minority if you think greed is not evil.
    Greed is good. It's only logical to use every weapon at your disposal to defeat a seemingly unstoppable enemy. The Night Elves were justifiably afraid after seeing the damage arcane and fel magic could do, but they were still biased. Illidan's choices were the logical ones.

This is such a blatantly uneducated statement to make. If you want to source specific philosophies or religions go for it, but avoid generalizations like this.

Also there is a difference between a pursuit of self-interest vs insatiable greed at the expense of everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...anAndFollowers

7+ Year Old Account
    We're gonna have some really angry people in this game in Legion: Wildmoon, purebalance, etc. It's going to be some funny shit around these forums as the expansion rolls on and these guys keep beating that "OMG whitewashing bad bad wrong! /wrists" drum.

Some people just like one-dimensional villains with designated insanity to be their loot pinatas

Complicated characters are too much like the real world this is a videogame I want easy martyrs like thrall and malfurion to beat up the evil monsters like illidan and arthas

(actually they probably like arthas since the two of them tend to be so polarizing)

Deleted
    Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed is a clean drive that captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms: greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind 'Gordon Gekko, Wall Street

In other words Illidan is more human than all the characters in the warcraft universe combined since like us he wants to evolve evolve evolve ...imagine that

Illidan is the 5th strongest being in WoW post time skip powerup.

Illidan was a double-agent. He realized that the Night Elves were ill-equipped to deal with the Legion, so in an attempt to learn their secrets and therefore a weakness he joined their side. Sargeras infused him with fel power, burning out his eyes and etching on tattoos. After the Legion was repelled and Illidan was freed by Tyrande from his 10,000 years of imprisonment, he consumed the Skull of Gul'dan to prevent the further corruption of Ashenvale (Felwood is the corrupted part of Ashenvale), turning him into a half-demon half-Elf "monstrosity." He was disowned by his brother Malfurion and left to find the Tomb of Sargeras to consume whatever power was left within it. After saving Tyrande's life much later, he left to the shattered world of Draenor where he thought he could hide from the Legion, but Kil'Jaeden found him. He was tasked with destroying Ner'zhul, the Lich King, before Arthas could reach the Frozen Throne. Illidan failed, and retreated once more to the Black Temple. There he trained outcast and orphaned Night and Blood Elves into Demon Hunters, his Illidari. He opened portals to Legion worlds to make their presence known and further enhance his Demon Hunters' capabilities. However Kael'thas sent a group of Blood Elves to assault Shattrath, which fooled the Aldor, the Scryers, and the players into thinking Illidan ordered the attack.

In short, Illidan is a misunderstood character whose story was thrashed in the Burning Crusade and is trying to be fixed in the novel Illidan and in Legion. It will all make more sense during a maximum-level questline in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
    Illidan is the 5th strongest being in WoW post time skip powerup.
    What does post time skip powerup mean?

Also what is your list?

10+ Year Old Account

Also what is your list?
    I want to see this list as well. #5 has to be Azshara, and we have a long way to go between Azshara and Illidan

Also what is your list?
    Illidan gained a gigantic powerup within the time skip from between Burning Crusade and Legion.

As for my list.

1. Lich King Bolvar Lord of the Damn - i believe he has surpassed Arthas as the host of the damned. He also has the corrupted dragon fire within his body.
    2. Void Titan - If the Void Lords ever corrupted a World Soul and build a Void Titan than there isn't anything that can stand in its way with the exceptional of a few of course.
    3. Sargeras - defeated the Pantheon alone and is the strongest being in the Burning Legion
    4. Void Lords - the mysterious superpower behind the void. They should be really strong.
    5. Illidan the Betrayer has a massive powerup. Hes up there with the top 5 strongest warriors of Warcraft.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I want to see this list as well. #5 has to be Azshara, and we have a long way to go between Azshara and Illidan
    Azshara should be pretty strong but im not sure about putting her at 5th. She's more like 7th and thats me being nice.