Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    Im new to fire mage here, and want to get some clarification on something.
    How do you chain your fireball and fire blast to guarantee a hot streak?
    I remember reading recently, you need to cast fireball, then as it hits the target cast fire blast to activate a hot streak, this only works 50% of the time for me, so Im wondering what is the logic behind this, how does it work, if it even does work, or was i mislead by where i read it?
    Assuming you aren't talking about the Combustion burst phase, you chain cast Fireball. Never stop. At some point you'll get a heating up proc. By this time you'll already be casting your next Fireball. That's ok. Simply press Fire blast. You can cast it while casting. Then, as the Fireball cast ends, fire off the instant Pyro too. Then hopefully one of the Fireball/Pyro crit, and rinse and repeat.

I'm looking for a strong class in myth+ and pvp (if it's good in single target better) actually I'm sp but I'm tired about our lack of aoe, is the fire mage that Class? It was my main since vanilla to mid bc when I did reroll to Rshaman , I love the new fire gameplay in pvp and wanna know your opinion about it in pve thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisha View Post
    I'm looking for a strong class in myth+ and pvp (if it's good in single target better) actually I'm sp but I'm tired about our lack of aoe, is the fire mage that Class? It was my main since vanilla to mid bc when I did reroll to Rshaman , I love the new fire gameplay in pvp and wanna know your opinion about it in pve thanks in advance for your help.
    Fire Mage is currently considered to be the best caster ranged dps of the game, in both PvE and PvP environments.

So how is Phoenix Flames supposed to be used? As an extra FB? AOE only? Bank 3 for burst?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    As an extra FB?
    Yes, during Combustion phase. Use it when you are running out of FB. You will get the full benefit of Pyretic Incantation that way. But you only need 1-2 for that.

AOE only?
    No, it is worth using on ST. Keep it always at 2.5 charges outside Combustion.

Bank 3 for burst?
    No, you only need 1-2 Phoenix during Combustion. Ofc, you may want to save all 3 if there is an add phase coming up soon.

In heavy AoE situation, I usually save all 3 Phoenix and unload with Combustion:

- Without HU proc: Phoenix > FB > Flame Strike > Phoenix > FB > FS > FO > Phoenix > FB > Pyro > FB > FS.

- With HU proc: FB > FS > Phoenix > FB > FS > FO > Phoenix > FB > FS > Phoenix > FB > FS.

Ofc this is just what I do. I'm not sure that's ideal. Love to hear from other ppl.
    Last edited by HTowN; 2016-08-22 at 03:47 AM.

Deleted
    It only gets weird when you have 3 and you're out of combustion. It might be worth waiting for Heating Up for a couple of seconds. Or not, I doubt it's any big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Demon View Post
    Fire Mage is currently considered to be the best caster ranged dps of the game, in both PvE and PvP environments.
    So we can expect loads of flavour of the month re-rollers? We all know there's an inevitable nerf coming, I can feel it in my water.
    Wonder if they'll stick around after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    So we can expect loads of flavour of the month re-rollers? We all know there's an inevitable nerf coming, I can feel it in my water.
    Wonder if they'll stick around after that.
    I kind of feel the same way. I want to go frost, but the amount of DPS difference is pretty substantial. Hard choice right now.

I haven't played any Beta, so I don't know of the raid fights, if there are more AOE then single target fights, perhaps fire is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by HTowN View Post
    Yes, during Combustion phase. Use it when you are running out of FB. You will get the full benefit of Pyretic Incantation that way. But you only need 1-2 for that.

No, it is worth using on ST. Keep it always at 2.5 charges outside Combustion.

No, you only need 1-2 Phoenix during Combustion. Ofc, you may want to save all 3 if there is an add phase coming up soon.

In heavy AoE situation, I usually save all 3 Phoenix and unload with Combustion:

- Without HU proc: Phoenix > FB > Flame Strike > Phoenix > FB > FS > FO > Phoenix > FB > Pyro > FB > FS.

- With HU proc: FB > FS > Phoenix > FB > FS > FO > Phoenix > FB > FS > Phoenix > FB > FS.

Ofc this is just what I do. I'm not sure that's ideal. Love to hear from other ppl.
    So outside of Combustion, I should use it as an extra FB as well, just make sure I have 2 stacks for when Combustion comes off CD?

So we can expect loads of flavour of the month re-rollers?
    Possible. It's already a good indicator seeing this many "i am a new mage and heard fire is great can you help me out" threads opened in this very forums. People will always tend to play what is generally considered to be superior in any given time. And that decision is always biased by non other then... us, the community, continously saying that this or that is OP, instead of pointing out that strong is dependant on the player much more than on the numbers.

I still haven't finished taking my good share of laughs with seeing how many terrible, TERRIBLE Demon Hunters there are out there in Beta that are unable to properly pull out the Momentum playstyle... and yet want to play the class because in random heroics that no one cares about simply press Eye Beam followed by Blade Dance and they are topping damage meters.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    So outside of Combustion, I should use it as an extra FB as well, just make sure I have 2 stacks for when Combustion comes off CD?
    You could use it 2 ways outside Combustion:

- As an extra FB if you have HU proc.

- Phoenix + FB if you don't have HU proc.

Regarding the Hellfire Citadel class trinket Tome of Shifting Words, it's very good for Fire at level 100. I'm wondering if it would be good at level 110 also, since the trinket itself contributes no stats or stamina or any other thing that would scale down poorly at higher level. It's just the percentage chance for a Flamestrike. That wouldn't change at all at 110.

Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    Regarding the Hellfire Citadel class trinket Tome of Shifting Words, it's very good for Fire at level 100. I'm wondering if it would be good at level 110 also, since the trinket itself contributes no stats or stamina or any other thing that would scale down poorly at higher level. It's just the percentage chance for a Flamestrike. That wouldn't change at all at 110.

Am I missing something here?
    Trinket doesn't work at 110.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    Regarding the Hellfire Citadel class trinket Tome of Shifting Words, it's very good for Fire at level 100. I'm wondering if it would be good at level 110 also
    Never wonder that. Blizzard always nerfs to the ground anything that belongs to the previous expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Demon View Post
    that doesnt really mean anything when you consider most of the other caster dps have gone down the crapper, like boomkin, ele, frost and arcane are kinda meh, warlocks are middle to upper middle of the pack and hunters+spriest+fire mages are upper tier and are pretty equal in raids but with that said, fire mages get absolutely destroyed on aoe by demon hunters unless you use RoP+combust as that is literally your only way of competing with dh on aoe.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2016-08-23 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    that doesnt really mean anything when you consider most of the other caster dps have gone down the crapper, like boomkin, ele, frost and arcane are kinda meh, warlocks are middle to upper middle of the pack and hunters+spriest+fire mages are upper tier and are pretty equal in raids but with that said, fire mages get absolutely destroyed on aoe by demon hunters unless you use RoP+combust as that is literally your only way of competing with dh on aoe.
    Among the contenders for top DPS spots there are several factors that shift the ranking up and down. Burst AoE, ST, 2/3 target cleave... no class is consistently top at ALL of these. Add in factors like movement, target switching etc. and you'll see further disparities. Ranged tends to have some inherent advantages over melee, for example, while melee also has things they are much better at that ranged. I think it's fairly futile to be looking for THE best spec; rather, it's about the top 5 or so across a variety of scenarios. You can narrow it down further if you narrow your scope, e.g. Mythic+ dungeons vs. raids or whatever, but even there you likely won't get it down more precisely than, say, top 3 (if even that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so the first tweaks to fire are in (source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/7...xes-august-22/)

Cinderstorm will no longer consume additional stacks of Ice Floes when damage occurs. (Bug fix)
    Fire Mage critical strike chance has been increased by 5%.
    Critical Mass multiplier has been decreased to 1.1 (was 1.3).
    Developer's Note: We shifted some critical strike chance from a multiplier on gear to a flat bonus. This brings the value of critical strike for Fire closer to other stats and also limits the very high amounts of critical strike chance that can be reached with certain gear.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is the nerf to critical mass compensated for by even more baseline crit?

It's a nerf, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    You can't transmog items of a type to another type because there are animation issues. Imagine having an animation of a rogue stabbing someone with two daggers. Why would you transmog a hammer there?
    The Demonology artifact, which consists of a MH/OH is actually a staff, so it wasn't an unreasonable question.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Ok so the first tweaks to fire are in (source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/7...xes-august-22/)

Cinderstorm will no longer consume additional stacks of Ice Floes when damage occurs. (Bug fix)
    Fire Mage critical strike chance has been increased by 5%.
    Critical Mass multiplier has been decreased to 1.1 (was 1.3).
    Developer's Note: We shifted some critical strike chance from a multiplier on gear to a flat bonus. This brings the value of critical strike for Fire closer to other stats and also limits the very high amounts of critical strike chance that can be reached with certain gear.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is the nerf to critical mass compensated for by even more baseline crit?
    For me on live (45% crit before the change) it's a nerf of about 3% crit on Fireball/Pyro/Scorch, but a buff of 5% crit on Cinderstorm/Flamestrike/Dragon's Breath/trinket & set procs, so overall a nerf, but probably not a big one. At lower levels of crit it's probably a wash.
    Last edited by Sturmcantor; 2016-08-23 at 05:58 PM.