Page 1 of 2
LastLast

This copy of Windows is not genuine?

So, my dad recently bought an HP laptop from a guy at work. It didn't come with any discs or anything. Everything was running fine for a few days until yesterday the desktop background went black and at the bottom right corner of the screen it says "This copy of Windows is not genuine". It has also started prompting him to activate windows upon load-up but the windows activate key on the back of the laptop doesn't work. Could the guy he bought it from have installed a non-genuine version of windows? I have an old Windows 7 installation disc which I tried using to reinstall it but it wouldn't let me. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: The other thing is that there is a Windows Vista sticker on it but it appears Windows 7 is installed. Also, when I try to look for Windows updates it says none have ever been installed and it just searches for updates endlessly but never finds anything.
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2016-08-22 at 07:22 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the guy your dad bought the laptop from installed a clean win7 without activating it, which would last for I think 30 days until it turns on the black background and refuses to do anymore updates.

I'd try the option to contact Microsoft support and explain your situation to them. Unless it's being used on another installation, they would most likely help you to activate Windows with your product key. They are pretty good about that from what I hear.

Nope - do not advise piracy or circumventing licensing issues.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2016-08-23 at 04:20 PM.

You can do what Hungerr said, if that doesn't work you can call HP and give them the model and serial number and see if they'll send you recovery media. They almost definitely wont though if it is a vista computer.

Just try to find Vista recovery media for that exact model online.

15+ Year Old Account
    No posting of illegal or presumed illegal ways to get Windows to activate, this includes resetting the trial back 30 days.

Second the guy who sold you the laptop is a douche since at best it's a Core2Quad/Core2Duo mobile CPU if it's Vista.
    Tell him to fix it or simply put money back.

As far as Windows 7 updates go... that's (unfortunately) normal, bandwidth reduction thanks to Windows 10 promotion.
    Let it go on... it'll take a long ass time but it'll show up eventually.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    No posting of illegal or presumed illegal ways to get Windows to activate, this includes resetting the trial back 30 days.
    As far as I know, the rearm is perfectly legal as Microsoft only gives you a total of three rearms before you absolutely have to do a proper activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    So, my dad recently bought an HP laptop from a guy at work.
    I hope he didn't pay more than like... $30 for it..
    but the windows activate key on the back of the laptop doesn't work.
    You cannot activate 7 with a Vista license.

Could the guy he bought it from have installed a non-genuine version of windows? I have an old Windows 7 installation disc which I tried using to reinstall it but it wouldn't let me.
    Maybe. What do you mean it 'wouldnt let you'? Do you have a license key to use for it if it did?

Edit: The other thing is that there is a Windows Vista sticker on it but it appears Windows 7 is installed. Also, when I try to look for Windows updates it says none have ever been installed and it just searches for updates endlessly but never finds anything.
    That 'searching' thing is common, there are ways around it.

There are more important issues to deal with, though.

Personally, I'd say you ought to try to salvage the situation, buy a $30 Win7 license from kinguin or something, do a format/reinstall, activate, and call it a day. That, or give the laptop back, and the money back (unlikely) and look into a cheap new laptop

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hungerr View Post
    If you google "my windows is not genuine" you can fix this issue with ease. There's a command prompt command to reset the 30 day period. There's also instructions to go into the registry and disable the entire process.
    That's not a fix. Thats a band-aid that lasts a month. It doesn't fix the fact it sounds like it's running either a cracked or oem with no license.
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-08-22 at 08:06 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnosh View Post
    As far as I know, the rearm is perfectly legal as Microsoft only gives you a total of three rearms before you absolutely have to do a proper activation.
    There was more then just that procedure in his post, not really legal that way.

7+ Year Old Account

Second the guy who sold you the laptop is a douche since at best it's a Core2Quad/Core2Duo mobile CPU if it's Vista.
    Tell him to fix it or simply put money back.

As far as Windows 7 updates go... that's (unfortunately) normal, bandwidth reduction thanks to Windows 10 promotion.
    Let it go on... it'll take a long ass time but it'll show up eventually.
    1.) You aren't a mod.
    2.) The rearm, while not a solution, is legal.
    3.) The promotion is over and has been over for almost a month.
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerroth View Post
    1.) You aren't a mod.
    Relevancy? Pointing out something that isn't legal isn't just the job of mods.
    2.) The rearm, while not a solution, is legal.
    Not the only thing he posted.
    3.) The promotion is over and has been over for almost a month.
    That doesn't change the fact that the bandwidth for said updates have been reduced for Windows 7 to promote Windows 10 still.

The same thing happened with Windows 2000, XP, Vista and now 7.

15+ Year Old Account
    There was more then just that procedure in his post, not really legal that way.
    Touche.

1.) You aren't a mod.
    And? Better a to get a courtesy reminder up front than reported behind your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    "Rearming" is legal. Rearming for the purpose of avoiding buying an OS license, or to avoid activation, is not. While you won't get in trouble for it, it's still not authorized or legal.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    You could also go with an insider account for W10, it's legally free and the downside is that you'll need to be some builds ahead of the current release. (The slow ring builds are pretty stable, never had any problems with them).

You can run win 10 without ever registering it, it's not like it used to be, you'll just have a small watermark telling you register it, otherwise it is the same OS. It's not illegal.

I think the activation code is fake and no longer work after windows update

I recently had this issue with Win 7, genuine install and I made a thread about it here too. I just got in touch with Microsoft, they took control of my computer remotely and then generated a new CD key from my old one and re-activated it for me.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a job for Linux. As in install Linux. Unless this is a gaming laptop, then get a cheap Windows key from G2A.com or something.

Why not just reinstall Vista?

(snip)

Please do not advocate piracy, or insult users for not doing so.
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-08-24 at 04:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pu3Ho View Post
    (snip)
    And these people prove my point thoroughly.

Don't do his suggestion, it is illegal and stupid as his statement is so broad it'll likely infect your PC with spyware trying to do so.
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-08-24 at 04:54 PM.