Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    oh i was just going to wear the headband and walk around with the dakimakura of my waifu
    Bals in Japan
    Spoiler: 

So wait, you guys are saying I should continue watching Taboo Tattoo because of how bad it is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So wait, you guys are saying I should continue watching Taboo Tattoo because of how bad it is?
    Did you watch Big order?

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    Did you watch Big order?
    Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I finally finished Spice & Wolf S2.

Spoiler: 

I still enjoyed season 2 a bit more than season one. I like the simpler and more playful relationship that Holo and Lawrence had in this season, though I agree with Neichus that it taking centerstage the way it does starts to take away from the show in general a little bit.

I also agree with Neichus on the side characters. They were much more interesting and had more staying power, though I still really dislike Amarty.

My overall opinion of the anime didn't change much, but I have to say that it was a bit boring in parts this time because I knew what was going to happen. Conversely other parts were more enjoyable or had more impact on me than the first time I watched the show. I lowered my rating for S2 before the rewatch even started from an 8 to a 7 and I'll probably leave it there. I have S1 at 7/10 as well. I guess I just ever so slightly prefer S2 in the end.

My question also went unanswered the last time I posed it, but is the manga for Spice & Wolf worth reading or are the LNs what I'll have to go with if I want to finish the story?

Also, about the rewatch in general: I should probably think about how much time is going to be available to me in the upcoming weeks before I organize or join something like this. I managed to somehow get through it before the official end, but I dislike falling behind on anything.

It was also to be expected, but Spice & Wolf didn't necessarily supply enough content for discussion, though I have to say that I enjoyed reading Neichus' observations.

- - - Updated - - -

Watching the anime really makes me realize how weak the writing is in some parts. Kira had countless opportunities to steal the bag from Shigechi without the situation turning out the way it did.

Read the LNs. The manga cuts out material, doesn't finish the story and rearranged the plot. The LNs are better anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope!
    That's the first time I've seen that way of /10char type things...
    [CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    That's the first time I've seen that way of /10char type things...
    What ever do you mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope!
    I was gonna ask how you did that. 10/10

10+ Year Old Account
    What ever do you mean?
    Was so distracting I forgot to comment: so bad it's good anime are good. My favorite of recent ones would be Omoidashita
    [CENTER]

Thoughts on Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood?

I'm surprised how average quality it is; for a project SE has sunk tens of millions into a game and a film, you'd think they could afford to throw in a few more for a high quality production to truly get people riled up (as an anime, it'd have potential to get anime fans who weren't interested in the game before to do so now (ie, an Ufotable production). Very puzzling.

Episode 2 light spoiler: Anyone else surprised to find out that Luna was a four years older than Noct? It is quite refreshing to see the SE writers break tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    So I just read the first (and only currently-translated) chapter of The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and it was pretty raw and depressing. It's an autobiography of the artist that was originally posted as a strip on Pixiv.
    That was actually quite good. I almost never click on links for manga; just not usually my interest. But glad I did for that one. I'm quite curious now to see it continued.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynax View Post
    Seeing i'm struggeling with a depression currently, i can relate all too well to that....
    Yet i also want to read the rest of it.
    I think that the series is more depressing to the non-depressed than the currently-depressed. There is solace in finding that others have experienced similar things, especially since the dialogue indicates that she has since pulled out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Thoughts on Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood?

I'm surprised how average quality it is; for a project SE has sunk tens of millions into a game and a film, you'd think they could afford to throw in a few more for a high quality production
    Why bother, they already have a large fan base. They are basically making a sure thing.

Why bother, they already have a large fan base. They are basically making a sure thing.
    it's like gundam.
    just push out a turd and the fans will fucking devour it

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm just putting this out there but koi to uso is probably one of the worst mangas that I have ever dropped then picked back up because of you fucks.

It's time to finish Spice and Wolf season 2!

Episode 10
    Spoiler: 

Holo: “I need to leave my scent on you.” …she is, quite literally, marking her territory.

So the plan is predicated on the assumption that merchants will immediately accept in that in blind faith…? That sounds incredibly stupid.

Holo: “I may not show it, but it’s tough for me to say this.” YOU DON’T SAY.

You know, before I sat down to watch this, I was talking to myself, stating that Holo needed to open up and actually tell Lawrence how she felt. It’s nice that this conversation happened almost immediately in this episode.

…yet she feels the need to explain away wanting to hold his hand. Sigh.

I understand that this episode is laying the groundwork for the next two episodes, but I wanted more from this episode. It was nice to get the Holo conversation, but that’s about all I liked from the episode.

Episode 11
    Spoiler: 

‘Because of this, we place our trust in you.’ Man, I don’t understand why merchants are so trusting in this show. If a transaction would likely bankrupt me/be a considerable amount of my worth, I’d be doing a bit more investigating.

Eve: ‘She appears to be very intelligent, and I expect she’s nice under those clothes, too.’ Damn, Eve.

Eight minutes in, and Holo hasn’t said a word. I don’t like it.

Heh, she’s way too proud to accept that head pat.

There was something really cute about her wanting him to panic.

I…I’m not sure I follow her logic. Why would ending their journey right there make it more of a thing than if they continued?

So she’s potentially throwing their relationship away because ‘eventually’ they can’t top what they have right now? That seems absurd to me. I understand the trepidation, but that’s no excuse to suggest what she’s suggesting.

‘Everything’s going favorably.’ ‘Yeah, it’s almost scary.’ I’m 100% sure it’ll all go smoothly and there’ll be no conflict. Yup.

‘Things have gone bad.’ No. Way.

The next episode is ‘Wolf and the Endless Tears’. I’m not sure I like that…

Episode 12
    Spoiler: 

Wait, there are that many fur traders? When I think of rebellions, I think of the entire general populace, not fur traders.

It’s kinda frustrating to see Holo and Lawrence talk like this – I have no doubt that their relationship is more valuable than any sum of money, so why do they act this way?

I do like the talk with Eve and her saying how the merchants that will let them out of here are blinded by greed. Hopefully this will put things into perspective for Lawrence.

You know…I like this arc much more than the previous ones, but man…enough with the betrayal and double-crossing.

Holo’s voice actress does a pretty good job in delivering yelled lines (and voice acting in general…).

Oh, he said it! He said he loves her. *giddy*

Holo: ‘You’ll take responsibility, right?’ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Holo: ‘That’s why…I…I’ll go along with your foolishness.’ Fucks sake, you’re not going to confess, are you, Holo? UGH

Holo: ‘You know, it’d be troublesome if I fell in love with you.’ If? IF?!

Those are definitely wedding bells. In my mind, sure. But I’ve decided that’s wedding bells.

Overall thoughts on the series
    Spoiler: 

Spice and Wolf is unlike most of the anime I watch; I'm used to comedy and ecchi, so this was a welcome change from my normal viewing. And, while I do genuinely did enjoy the series, I have some problems that make me unable to rate it any higher than a 7.0/10 (not that that's a bad score, it just felt like if it did some things differently, I'd be head over heels for the show).

There is little question that Holo is the life of the show, and my sense of enjoyment of the show almost lives and dies upon her character. She is very well-written, and something that, as Neichus states, is one-of-a-kind character, but I can't help but feel frustrated at her character. Now, I want to make it clear that what I'm about to write isn't a slight on the character, however it made me angry at the character as a person. When I watch the show, my wants is essentially for Lawrence and Holo to be together, be happy, and have interesting travels together. For the most part, I feel that the show achieves that. But I can't help but feel that the relationship that they have is, at the very least, partially toxic. I can't fathom being with a significant other that constantly belittles me, belittles my gender, tests my devotion to them...I could go on and on. The two definitely do bond and get closer, but I feel like if this was real life, and this was a real couple, there'd be some real issues here.

Conflict in a show is often extremely important to the development of the show, and yes, ultimately, Holo and Lawrence do grow as a result of that conflict. However, I can't help but dislike a large majority of how those conflicts were presented, and/or why they were conflicts in the first place, and/or how they were resolved. One of the conflicts I remember disliking was that of the depreciating armor. Now, I can appreciate Neichus' input in that there were signs that this wasn't a deal that Lawrence wanted to take, but as a first-time viewer, I didn't catch those. More importantly, however, it just felt...I don't know, arbitrary? I have a hard time articulating why I dislike this, but I'll try. It had nothing to do with the party members; it's done off-screen. In addition, Lawrence should have done his fucking homework. As I have complained in one of the above episodes, the merchants in this show are far to trusting. If my livelihood depended on this trade, I would make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Doesn't that make sense? Another conflict that irritated me was in season two, with Amarty. I completely understand that Holo is shellshocked about her home and is experiencing a myriad of emotions, but to make the assumption that Lawrence would want to sell her is just utterly fucking absurd. It's obvious to the viewer, it's obvious to the townsfolk, but somehow it's not to Holo? What?

The setting and various things that go with that was very much appreciated. I'm trying to think...I can't say that I've watched any piece of media in this time period. That said, I fucking hated some of the things that are associated with that, such as Holo being unable to talk, etc. Again, not something I 'dock' the show for, just saying.

Responding to Neichus' post
    Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Again, I know this doesn't impress a lot of people but it is a fairly large advance compared to her previous attitudes.
    I'm not sure that I'd use the phrase 'impress'. Yes, it is an advancement, but I feel like this (dare I say, little) development isn't as much as I'd like.

Previous suggestions of their separation originated with Lawrence, and were often born of practical concerns. This time it was from Holo, and this made all the difference.
    Hmm. I hadn't considered this before. I will agree with you that it is very different, but I don't see it the way you do. When I watch this show, I put myself in Lawrence's shoes, and I view the show through his eyes. When I heard her suggest this, I felt like it was childish. To suggest that they end their relationship because she doesn't want to be burdened/whatever, I just have to ask: how would a reasonable adult act to this situation (the adult in question being Lawrence)? I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I would be almost offended that you'd throw it away. I do appreciate your commentary, and I can see your point of view, but I see it from a different perspective.

2) The side characters are superior. In the first arc Amarty wasn't bad...he just wasn't great. He did the job he needed to for the story and that was it. Lawrence's merchant friend Mark and his apprentice were similar.
    I mean, yeah, they are definitely better, but I can't say I liked them that much. I guess I was so focused on Holo and Lawrence that almost everyone else felt like a nuisance.

I would have loved to see more of Dian (bird woman) but that was not to be.
    Oh yeah! She existed! I did find her interesting, but man was she underutilized...

(That said...can't Lawrence win a single fight in this entire series? Just once?)
    You know...I kinda appreciated that Lawrence wasn't the domineering male alpha that so many shows seem to make the male lead be. I appreciate that Holo, more or less, was that. But yeah, I understand what you're saying, heh.

In the end, while this rewatch gave me many new insights into the series my overall assessment remained the same.
    I'm really curious if I'd view/rate this series differently if/when I rewatch this show...

I have both seasons rated as an 8/10 on MAL, but if I were given more subtlety of ranking I would give S1 a solid 8/10 while S2 strays closer to a 7.5/10.
    Trying to rate the individual seasons was interesting, because it felt like two polar opposites for me: season 1 with the strong opening and mediocre finish, and season 2 with the mediocre opening/middle, and strong finish. Ultimately, I think I'd reluctantly say I liked the second season slightly more, but perhaps that's all down to it being the ending of the show, which will likely stick with me longer than any other event in the show.

In the final analysis, what I have to give S&W the most credit for is Holo as a personality. Even as infuriating as she is at times, I know of no other character like her. I never found myself bored while she was on screen.
    Absolutely.

Her relationship with Lawrence is similarly interesting. Even if I was irritated by the way some aspects of it were handled, they form a unique pair in anime with how their relationship forms and manifests itself in their exchanges. Their development is the shining centerpiece of the story.
    Definitely a love/hate relationship. Mostly love, but...

That said, I fear that this interplay came at the cost of story. It's as icedwarrior lamented in his post for 7-9: that once again the plot was about the personality conflicts between Holo and Lawrence. After a while everything is about whether Lawrence and Holo are getting closer or further apart. They can't just let their relationship slide for a few episodes. It ultimately robs us of the ability to experience anything else in the world. So even as the names and places change, there begins to creep in a sense of sameness about everything that happens.
    While I do agree that I would be interested to see more of the world, ultimately I came for Holo (and to a lesser degree, Lawrence), so I'm satisfied with the fact that the large majority of the show revolved around them. In fact, I want more of them, so...

I'd write more, but I've got to go. Bah, stupid responsibilities and such...

If that one I linked that everyone liked isn't to be finished by whoever started it, I'll do it myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    If that one I linked that everyone liked isn't to be finished by whoever started it, I'll do it myself.
    What are you even talking about?

What are you even talking about?
    Lesbian Depression Manga. It's a new fad.

- - - Updated - - -
    @icedwarrior I'll probably reply to you tomorrow. I'm teetering here and I suspect that once I get into responding it will take me some time to feel I have a sufficient post.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm going to give up on Rainbow. I started watching it a few weeks ago, but I've just stalled by episode eight. The rate at which the relationships developed was unbelievable, and it feels like it has just degenerated into one, "I love you Bro!" scene after another. Also the OP indicates that all of them but Bro survives (I don't think this a spoiler; it is literally in the OP), so I feel like the tension over the uncertainty of their fates is missing. The allure of a different time period and unusual setting can't quite overcome these issues for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I think I'm going to give up on Rainbow. I started watching it a few weeks ago, but I've just stalled by episode eight. The rate at which the relationships developed was unbelievable, and it feels like it has just degenerated into one, "I love you Bro!" scene after another. Also the OP indicates that all of them but Bro survives (I don't think this a spoiler; it is literally in the OP), so I feel like the tension over the uncertainty of their fates is missing. The allure of a different time period and unusual setting can't quite overcome these issues for me.
    You must persevere! The show is so much more than just the prison.

10+ Year Old Account

Aw shit.

I also just realized my post count keeps dropping massively. Fuck MMO-Champion. I've somehow lost close to 1k posts in the past 2 or so years (probably not that much)(I could also be insane).