10+ Year Old Account

Question about Fire Mage Rotation

If i just acquired Heating up (with charges of fireblast ready to go) and i just started casting fireball as Heating up Procced,

should i stop mid cast to use fireblast to get hotstreak or continue the fireball cast, use fireblast instant to still get Hotstreak and continue with rotation?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    If i just acquired Heating up (with charges of fireblast ready to go) and i just started casting fireball as Heating up Procced,

should i stop mid cast to use fireblast to get hotstreak or continue the fireball cast, use fireblast instant to still get Hotstreak and continue with rotation?
    Door #2: finish the cast, use fireblast during the cast and cast Pyro straight after fireball cast finishes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire Blast has changed, it is now castable while casting. You no longer need to stop anything to increase a Heating Up to a Hot Streak. You can cast Fire Blast during your casts, like Fireball and Pyroblast itself.

If you are a key spammer, just be careful to not use both charges instantly by accident. I'd recommend cautious clicking when using Fire Blast, specially during the Combustion combo and even more if you are using the Pyromaniac talent from the first tier because it has a bit of a delay before its proc.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    what kat said. I found this really useful. long read though.
    https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...php?f=4&t=2553

"It is important to note that Fire Blast is used while casting Fireball. When you chain Fireball and one critically strikes, do not cancel your cast. Simply keep casting another Fireball, hit Fire Blast while it's casting, and follow it up with a Pyroblast."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenpt View Post
    If you are a key spammer, just be careful to not use both charges instantly by accident. I'd recommend cautious clicking when using Fire Blast, specially during the Combustion combo and even more if you are using the Pyromaniac talent from the first tier because it has a bit of a delay before its proc.
    Isn't there 0.3 sec cd on fire blast after you use one? Can't test now

Deleted
    About that guide on altered-time, he mentions that you need to use Flamestrike once it hits 10+ targets. I don't really understand the reasoning behind this. Pyroblast deals 400% damage and Flamestrike 180%. If there are 3 targets you will deal a total of 3*180=540% in total with Flamestrike on 3 targets while you only hit 400% with Pyroblast on one target. I am aware that Pyroblast can proc Heating Up and Pyroblast can't but still at like 4 or more targets Flamestrike should be cast instead of Pyroblast right?

You get Heating Up from the Pyro and you get more Ignite damage once it spreads.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MithosX View Post
    About that guide on altered-time, he mentions that you need to use Flamestrike once it hits 10+ targets. I don't really understand the reasoning behind this. Pyroblast deals 400% damage and Flamestrike 180%. If there are 3 targets you will deal a total of 3*180=540% in total with Flamestrike on 3 targets while you only hit 400% with Pyroblast on one target. I am aware that Pyroblast can proc Heating Up and Pyroblast can't but still at like 4 or more targets Flamestrike should be cast instead of Pyroblast right?
    It's 3-4 discussion atm. At 4 it's definitely flamestrike.

Quote Originally Posted by koaxialus View Post
    It's 3-4 discussion atm. At 4 it's definitely flamestrike.
    It's actually a discussion of burst vs sustain. For Burst AOE, Flamestrike will win out; but for Sustained AOE, you will use Pyroblast since it does more damage and procs HU, and the stronger ignite will spread itself.

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    It's actually a discussion of burst vs sustain. For Burst AOE, Flamestrike will win out; but for Sustained AOE, you will use Pyroblast since it does more damage and procs HU, and the stronger ignite will spread itself.
    Also depends on if you are using Flame Patch. But if you are, you expect the fight to have AoE/Cleave anyway.

On 2 targets Flamestrike with Flame patch, it's ((180*(1+MasteryValue)) + 200)*2 = 804.6% SP(Mastery with a guildie mage's mastery level, ~2600 rating)
    On 2 targets Pyro, it's (400*1.1*(1+MasteryValue) + 400*MasteryValue) = 554.2% SP + Heating Up chance

Is Heating up chance worth 260% SP? Wouldn't bet on it. Also I don't know what are the exact mechanics behind Ignite when 2 targets already have Ignite, but I assume there is no weird double dipping/refreshing itself to higher dmg every tick.

Deleted
    If I'm not mistaken most of those results are an outcome of replacing pyroblast with flamestrike on the APL. It's unclear if it only on conserve or also the burn phase but maybe both. For an up to date result one could just run a special sim with an increased number of patchwerks.

PS. I wouldn't conclude based on napkin math. They tend to be overturned by sim results more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Also depends on if you are using Flame Patch. But if you are, you expect the fight to have AoE/Cleave anyway.

On 2 targets Flamestrike with Flame patch, it's ((180*(1+MasteryValue)) + 200)*2 = 804.6% SP(Mastery with a guildie mage's mastery level, ~2600 rating)
    On 2 targets Pyro, it's (400*1.1*(1+MasteryValue) + 400*MasteryValue) = 554.2% SP + Heating Up chance

Is Heating up chance worth 260% SP? Wouldn't bet on it. Also I don't know what are the exact mechanics behind Ignite when 2 targets already have Ignite, but I assume there is no weird double dipping/refreshing itself to higher dmg every tick.
    It's not only the heating up chance, we have to account for the fact that Pyro's larger ignite will automatically spread itself after 2 seconds.

As far as I can make out, ignite will only spread to a valid target that has lower ignite values.