Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vvaniish View Post
    At first it was basically an exact Discord rip-off with some other colors. Now they bloated it with tons of other shit and soon those who use the curse addon client will be forced to use it. No thanks.
    The second and third points are valid, but the first statement is not accurate. Curse Voice was already being used by the public a year before Discord came out. It can't really be a rip-off of something it predated.

There's only so much you can do with a chat client. They all going to be pretty similar, even developed totally independently of each other.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Curse Voice is the only option for PVP.

sorry mate, discord came to shiet on your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I do not trust curse.
    I can't stop laughing considering MMO-Champion is owned by Curse, and your have a near 1k post count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I can't stop laughing considering MMO-Champion is owned by Curse, and your have a near 1k post count.
    I'm with him actually. I use Curse, but don't trust it. Thus all the ad & script blocking. The mistrust is not unfounded, they have been a vector to spread wow account stealing malware in the past.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

MMO-Champ's participation in the Curse network is of no bearing to the Curse client. And to be fair, years ago there were multiple claims of security breaches which stemmed from using Curse client. (Mostly via malware contained in click-thru Google ads which showed up in early versions of the program.) Those security breaches have long since been patched but I'd wager this is where the poster in question's distrust of Curse originates.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    MMO-Champ's participation in the Curse network is of no bearing to the Curse client. And to be fair, years ago there were multiple claims of security breaches which stemmed from using Curse client. (Mostly via malware contained in click-thru Google ads which showed up in early versions of the program.) Those security breaches have long since been patched but I'd wager this is where the poster in question's distrust of Curse originates.
    Well it's a good thing you don't need to download a single thing to use the Curse voice client. You can use it in your browser.

Well it's a good thing you don't need to download a single thing to use the curse voice client. You can use it in your browser.
    Right. I'm not disparaging Curse client in any way, I'm just providing a reasonable explanation for the distrust. In this case, I think it's largely unfounded since the issues it had weren't even implicitly a fault with the program itself but I definitely understand why people would feel uneasy using a program (browser or desktop client) which was once associated with security breaches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mazuno View Post
    Discord get REALLY laggy from time to time, and unlike with teamspeak where you can actually pay for a stronger server, there is nothing to do to prevent these lags. if they dont fix it I dont know if they can live
    D'ohh.. Move the server to a different dataceenter? Takes like two clicks, doesn't cost a penny and is included by default (it's a dropdown menu, lol).

Oh wow, Curse now merged with Curse Client. I saw them talking about it and going into beta with it but now looks like Curse handles it. I'm going to make a HUGE push for Curse to be used as our voice coms.

I can't find a reason *not* to use it. Is there something the other clients offer that Curse does not?

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys might as well argue over using Philips, Robertson or slotted screws. Different types but still do the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    They are just tools that do the same job. While I can understand people preferring one over the other for *reasons* - what I can't understand is some neckbeards fanboi-ing over a fucking voice program.
    the most tru thing in this forum ^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I guess it is more about personal preference.

I don't really like Discord, nor Ventrillo, RaidCall etc. Had no problems using Mumble myself, though it all comes down to people's choices in the end.
    I have used all but discord, so far I've enjoyed mumble the most. but i still keep everything so can use it if end up joining another group.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedelmo View Post
    You guys might as well argue over using Philips, Robertson or slotted screws. Different types but still do the same job.
    They do a similiar job -- not the same. Phillips and Torx offer differ different advantages. I'm not an engineer but I once was around an engineer when someone made that kind of remark and they enumerated each and every type and why you'd use each one.

As best as I know Curse is free while all but Discord are not. I don't know a lot about Discord so I can't really enumerate anything about it. If it's decentralized then it's extra bandwidth. Not sure it's sustainable if it's centralized and free. Bandwidth is not free or cheap.

For me, personally, I like how I can add friends on Curse *and* it manages my WoW addons. This is a service I'd pay a small fee for. I'm not sure how Curse will make money and be sustainable. They'll need to charge for something at some point I imagine. I just hope they don't want ass-rapey expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    They do a similiar job -- not the same. Phillips and Torx offer differ different advantages. I'm not an engineer but I once was around an engineer when someone made that kind of remark and they enumerated each and every type and why you'd use each one.

As best as I know Curse is free while all but Discord are not. I don't know a lot about Discord so I can't really enumerate anything about it. If it's decentralized then it's extra bandwidth. Not sure it's sustainable if it's centralized and free. Bandwidth is not free or cheap.

For me, personally, I like how I can add friends on Curse *and* it manages my WoW addons. This is a service I'd pay a small fee for. I'm not sure how Curse will make money and be sustainable. They'll need to charge for something at some point I imagine. I just hope they don't want ass-rapey expensive.
    Different Trades use different heads. The biggest difference is the distance between the threads, but all screws are made to fasten which is their main function as all the voice app's main function is to allow vocal communication between a group. -The point I was trying to make.

I'm sure there's also quite a bit of money they make from advertisement and subscribers from Curse Premium.

Deleted
    I can't find a reason *not* to use it. Is there something the other clients offer that Curse does not?
    *shrug* They're all about the same. There's absolutely no need to switch if your guild already has voice comms.

I just use whatever the raid is using, its all the same to me.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Discord for me. It's just better in every way.
    Except that with its unclear business model when Discord actually becomes extremely popular now that it's the hipster voip of choice, in order to maintain itself it's likely going to do some shady shit with your personal information. So yeah I'd stay away from discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Why would anyone ever use Ventrilo, TS or RC, displaying your IP to a random idiot on the Internet? Third-party servers/cloud solutions are the only sane option.
    Because the random idiot on the internet is totally going to be able to do something with your IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedelmo View Post
    Different Trades use different heads. The biggest difference is the distance between the threads, but all screws are made to fasten which is their main function as all the voice app's main function is to allow vocal communication between a group. -The point I was trying to make.

I'm sure there's also quite a bit of money they make from advertisement and subscribers from Curse Premium.
    I'd argue that's silly though. You can compare a truck to a car and go "they are the same in which they get you from point A to point B" but that'd be quite a silly thing to say though for most people, I'd imagine. Sure the core idea is the same -- thus why they are similar -- but I don't know anyone who would think they were the same beyond that.

Here's a link that might help: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-be...ad-or-Phillips

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd argue that's silly though. You can compare a truck to a car and go "they are the same in which they get you from point A to point B" but that'd be quite a silly thing to say though for most people, I'd imagine. Sure the core idea is the same -- thus why they are similar -- but I don't know anyone who would think they were the same beyond that.

Here's a link that might help: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-be...ad-or-Phillips
    I'd argue the fact that cars /sedans are focused to transport personal goods with the exception of passengers. What would you define as a truck? a commercial 16 wheel rig? in which is made to transport industrial/commercial freight which has is it's own regulations and laws that goes with it. If you are referring to a Pick up truck then you could classify it as a hybrid since they are used for Both personal and commercial.

(unless you are one of those people who buys a pick-up truck, lower the body and turn it into a modern style El Camino, in which is definitely no longer a truck.)