Thread: No Man's Sky

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ns-sky-really/

What's the "context" here? He was flat out asked if you could run into other players, he said yes with his usual "BUT OUR GAME IS SO BIG!" caveat. Here's another (from the article as well)
    Can you be in the same system on the same planet in the same spot on the planet as another player at the same time? yes.
    You just can't see them. But you can see how they named the planet you are on, or they can see how you named it - or that either of you discovered it. Basically if you can encounter a planet discovered by someone else - you ran into another player. But it's very unlikely due the yugeness of the universe.

Wanna argue that's not what he meant? Please do!

If there was no multiplayer where you could see/interact with other players, then he should not have given this answer. This answer indicates that yes, there will be a multiplayer mode where you can physically (in-game) see other players.

So what context am I missing?
    It's the correct answer for a First Person game. The only way to see how you look like in the absence of mirrors or true water reflections (which are absent, did they promise them though?) - is for other players to see you. You cannot see your own character. Duh. Did he say that others will be able to see you in the 1.0 game? no. Did people infer that they will? Yes. Did Sean lie? no.

That's not an excuse.
    Correct. That's explanation. Did he lie though? no.
    So even if your theory is right (it's not)
    Ok
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I've been reading a lot about this controversy.. and its clearly the issue of people overhyping themselves, mostly. The developers are an indie group of 15 people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Pssst, you can even spend the entire day repeating that if it makes you feel any better… in the end quality still isn't based on personal opinion only, oranges no matter how you feel about the taste, they can be rich in nutrients, that's an objective quality and your personal opinion about the god damn fruit won't change that, sorry if that kind of breaks your bubble
    Lol. Quality is NEVER objective. Since you mention oranges... Let's say you have 3 oranges. And you have to rate them on the scale of 1 thru 3, based on their quality. 1 has X nutrients, the other Y nutrients and the last one Z nutrients. Now X > Y > Z. According to your "objective" quality meter X is rated 3, Y - 2 and Z - 1.

So Orange X is of the highest quality. Right? But then I give you another orange which has A nutrients and A > than X, watchagonnadonow? Rate it. Without changing the scale. I dare you.

And when you realize that you need to change the scale, you should realize that the scale is subjective. And taste is subjective and quality is subjective and ARBITRARY.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Can you be in the same system on the same planet in the same spot on the planet as another player at the same time? yes.
    Can you "run into" then? No, you will never know they are there unless they happen to tell you.

You just can't see them.
    Which Sean said you could.

But you can see how they named the planet you are on, or they can see how you named it - or that either of you discovered it. Basically if you can encounter a planet discovered by someone else - you ran into another player. But it's very unlikely due the yugeness of the universe.
    No, you don't. The player may be on the totally opposite end of the universe by then. You've run into a planet first discovered by the player, but nothing more. There may have been dozens, or thousands of players that have been to that planet. They may even be there with you right now!

But you'd never know, because there's no multiplayer in the game.

Wanna argue that's not what he meant? Please do!
    I don't need to argue. His statements were explicitly clear and the fact that Hello Games has refused to address the topic since launch, despite repeated questioning, speaks volumes.

It's the correct answer for a First Person game. The only way to see how you look like in the absence of mirrors or true water reflections (which are absent, did they promise them though?) - is for other players to see you. You cannot see your own character.
    Yup!

Did he say that others will be able to see you in the 1.0 game? no.
    Are we really going there? So if he said that you could create your own universes, that players could create custom servers, and that there would be multiple player classes in the game, you would be fine with them not being in the game at launch because "they may come eventually"?

Because he never once indicated that this would be something coming post launch, all his responses were in relation to the game as it would be at game launch.

Basically, you're doing mental gymnastics that would make the US Olympic womens team jealous, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I've been reading a lot about this controversy.. and its clearly the issue of people overhyping themselves, mostly. The developers are an indie group of 15 people.
    Ya totally had nothing to do with the developers going to interview after interview and lying...

I love how people like you blame consumers first. Guess what the consumers wouldn't have been hyped so much if it wasn't for the fact the dev's kept fueling that hype and lying.

Clearly you didn't read enough about this.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, you're doing mental gymnastics that would make the US Olympic womens team jealous, right now.
    Its Elim what do you expect and its clear what hes doing..
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you "run into" then? No, you will never know they are there unless they happen to tell you.
    So if they tell you, you will know? Can your friend tell you if they are there? They can. Right? bam. You "ran into" them.

Which Sean said you could.
    Didn't see the quote.

No, you don't. The player may be on the totally opposite end of the universe by then. You've run into a planet first discovered by the player, but nothing more. There may have been dozens, or thousands of players that have been to that planet. They may even be there with you right now!
    Irrelevant. You seem to be very specific in how you think you should be meeting other players in a non-multiplayer focused game You run into a planet discovered by someone else - you ran into another player.
    But you'd never know, because there's no multiplayer in the game.
    Like Sean said, right?

I don't need to argue. His statements were explicitly clear
    You've got to be kidding. First people accuse him for vague statements, now you claim he was explicit.

Are we really going there? So if he said that you could create your own universes, that players could create custom servers, and that there would be multiple player classes in the game, you would be fine with them not being in the game at launch because "they may come eventually"?
    If he just said that on his own as a pitch, no. If he were answering a vague present tense question of a rookie interviewer - yes.
    Because he never once indicated that this would be something coming post launch, all his responses were in relation to the game as it would be at game launch.
    Nope. All his responses were in the tense of the question, which most of the times were present tense. That is vague. You keep forgetting that we are talking about interviews here. that's why I keep mentioning the "out of context" thing.
    I'm not the one inferring stuff and then refuse to face reality.

Are people even still playing this game? I figured that being one of the biggest scams in the passed few years second only to csgo that everyone would have stopped playing by now. What a shit game no mans sky was, great platform but sold off of pure lies and deceit. Very happy I seen through it all and didnt actually buy the game. Cause it sure as hell wasnt worth 60 dollars thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya totally had nothing to do with the developers going to interview after interview and lying...

I love how people like you blame consumers first. Guess what the consumers wouldn't have been hyped so much if it wasn't for the fact the dev's kept fueling that hype and lying.

Clearly you didn't read enough about this.
    Well, thats like, your opinion man.

I have read plenty. And yeah, people do overhype themselves pretty often. Thats clear. It happens whether developers make 0 lies, or 100 lies.

Deleted
    You just can't see them.
    He literally says you'd pnly be able to know what you look like if someone else, whom can see you, describes it to you.

that seems to imply you can see other players

So if they tell you, you will know? Can your friend tell you if they are there? They can. Right? bam. You "ran into" them.
    I'm not the one inferring stuff and then refuse to face reality.
    You literally are. This isn't running into someone. If your friend tells you they are there, right down to the exact co-ordinates, you will never see them. This is fucking stupid to defend.

It's like me booting up a single player game, telling a friend I'm at a certain area on the first level, him going there too and claiming that we "ran into" one another. This can only be a thing if you have the ability to fold realities into one another.

There is no multiplayer of any sort in the game. The reason why you can't see yourself and no one will ever see you, is probably because there's no actual player model. Given the height from the ground that the player views the world, if there even is a player model, it will be some horribly deformed dwarf creature.

Regardless, I don't see why people are putting so much effort into being outraged by the game. It's just a really, really, bad walking simulator. A walking simulator where you have to constantly hold a button down, while pointing your crosshair at a rock or plant, so that you can continue to point your crosshair at rocks and plants, so you can go and see the same rocks and plants, maybe in slightly different colors. There is no real discovery in this game. There's nothing to discover beyond new colour pallets for worlds you've seen before and random combinations of a limited number of parts for creatures.

It's literally a terrible version of Minecraft, without the benefit of being able to craft something you can then look at and appreciate the work and effort you had to put into creating.

Starbound has more interesting exploitative direction, in that it does a very similar thing to No Man's Sky - having a ton of randomly created worlds and areas, but there are actually interesting points of interest and sometimes even storylets for areas. There's an overarching goal and actual things to do outside of recharging your shit constantly.

No Man's Sky is a non-event and not worthy of this much discussion or bickering. It was a disgusting and clever money grab and that's all it will ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, thats like, your opinion man.

I have read plenty. And yeah, people do overhype themselves pretty often. Thats clear. It happens whether developers make 0 lies, or 100 lies.
    Ummm no the dev's lying and misleading people isn't a opinion its fact.

Seems the playerbase on steam has dropped off by 90% since release.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Ummm no the dev's lying and misleading people isn't a opinion its fact.
    Its not that they lied its that they are British and nothing the British do turns out they way they intend it to.

And other players telling you what you look like isn't technically a lie because there is no character model so when a person tells you they can't see you, its correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, all of the people who are super bitter about NMS will have forgotten about it in 7 days when they'll be super bitter about all of the features that Legion didn't get and how the devs lied to them.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems the playerbase on steam has dropped off by 90% since release.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/concurrent-players-no-mans-sky/

That's a hell of a drop, but it comes with some caveats: It doesn't reflect the total population of the game but rather the number of people playing it simultaneously, and that measurement of intensity of interest is bound to drop as a game's newness wears off and players become less likely to sink 14 hours at a time into it.

But compared to other, better-received recent releases, NMS may not be cratering as badly as it appears. Far Cry Primal, for instance, saw its peak player count slide 82 percent over its first month of release; Fallout 4 dropped by 74 percent; Doom fell by 85 percent; Battleborn slid by 82 percent; Stellaris dropped by 82 percent; even The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which we recently placed atop our Top 100 Games list, saw its peak player count slide by 71 percent during its first month of release. The hugely popular Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain slipped by an almost identical amount. One notable exception is Stardew Valley, which saw its peak user count slip by just 30 percent over its first month.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Don't worry, all of the people who are super bitter about NMS will have forgotten about it in 7 days when they'll be super bitter about all of the features that Legion didn't get and how the devs lied to them.
    as they should be, if that's the case

15+ Year Old Account
    Darn facts, always ruining the hate filled narrative. And they would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    as they should be, if that's the case
    So you advocate people whining for every single game ever made?

Features are cut from every. Single. Game.

Lots of them.

The question is how open mouthed developers are about the process and what features they plan to include.

If the devs talk too little, players get mad and start coming up with wild conspiracy theories about the game sucking so developers aren't talking about it much, or some other kind of discontentment from the people who are hyping themselves up over. Yeah, that kinda thing happens. If they tell too much and inevitably (as in, it's going to happen no matter what) don't deliver on features, they're liars.

Blizzard used to let players in on a lot more of their plans and ideas, but then players took "we're planning on implementing this" and then later "We couldn't get it to work" even before the expansion released as "OMG THE DEVS LIED TO US AND PEED IN OUR CHEERIOS, BASTARDS."

So for Legion they decided to be very tight lipped. But they still talked about some features that yeah, did get cut.

Things getting cut isn't some kind of thing that devs do maliciously to hurt people deliberately, despite popular belief. It happens in every single game that the majority of features that are on the drawing board don't make it into the final product.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Ok point is????

- - - Updated - - -

What features mite those be?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok point is????
    Its pretty clear what the point is if you read what was posted but I'll explain it to you. The 90% drop in concurrent players is not really that big of a number as it sounds. Most games on steam see a large percentage drop in concurrent users after launch. Focusing on the 90% out of context is the same as a click bait title on an article. Misleading. Other games having this is talked about in the video you linked but it is still worth mentioning.

It also isn't the player base, like you said, but the concurrent players. It could still have a high player base but they just are not all playing at the same time like happens on any launch of a new highly anticipated game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Darn facts, always ruining the hate filled narrative. And they would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

- - - Updated - - -

So you advocate people whining for every single game ever made?

Features are cut from every. Single. Game.

Lots of them.

The question is how open mouthed developers are about the process and what features they plan to include.

If the devs talk too little, players get mad and start coming up with wild conspiracy theories about the game sucking so developers aren't talking about it much, or some other kind of discontentment from the people who are hyping themselves up over. Yeah, that kinda thing happens. If they tell too much and inevitably (as in, it's going to happen no matter what) don't deliver on features, they're liars.

Blizzard used to let players in on a lot more of their plans and ideas, but then players took "we're planning on implementing this" and then later "We couldn't get it to work" even before the expansion released as "OMG THE DEVS LIED TO US AND PEED IN OUR CHEERIOS, BASTARDS."

So for Legion they decided to be very tight lipped. But they still talked about some features that yeah, did get cut.

Things getting cut isn't some kind of thing that devs do maliciously to hurt people deliberately, despite popular belief. It happens in every single game that the majority of features that are on the drawing board don't make it into the final product.
    features getting cut is fine.

pretending and advertising like they're still in the game when it launches is not.

If a feature gets cut, announce it well before launch and give clear answers to people questioning those features. If Hello Games had done that the outcry post-launch would have been almost non existent and any outcry that would still occur could be easily silenced.

Though they would've also made less sales, so I guess they went with that. Altough i'm not sure if it was worth it in the end.
    Last edited by mmoc30ed4cc660; 2016-08-25 at 11:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    features getting cut is fine.

pretending and advertising like they're still in the game when it launches is not.

If a feature gets cut, announce it well before launch and give clear answers to people questioning those features. If Hello Games had done that the outcry would be almost non existent and any outcry that would still occur could be easily silenced.

Though they would've also made less sales, so I guess they went with that. Altough i'm not sure if it was worth it in the end.
    I doubt the outcry would have been much better. Blizzard made it explicitly clear that many WoD features they were revealing were not final and subject to change, and people still whined loudly about several features being but "WHERE'S FARAHLON? WHERE'S MY FLYING? BLIZZARD LIED!"

Players are whiny.