Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    They are just saying that they are leaving the door open for that, because if they dare say "no we aren't planning to do that at all" and 5 years later they feel they need to do it, there will be people all over the place quoting this phrase like "YOU LIED !" and bashing Blizzard.

Not sure why "retiring" heroes would even be on the table when they've never had that idea for games like Heroes of the Storm

Doubt it'll ever happen

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Ehh, there's no chance that they'll do this. The uproar would be way bigger than the whole "no flying in draenor" crap.

If blizzard retired heroes they would kill there game.

On top of that many people spent RL cash to get skins for those heroes. If they became unplayable then I am sure there is some kind of lawsuit that would fallow.

I know the first time I hear *X Hero is getting retired* I would stop playing OW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    They are just saying that they are leaving the door open for that, because if they dare say "no we aren't planning to do that at all" and 5 years later they feel they need to do it, there will be people all over the place quoting this phrase like "YOU LIED !" and bashing Blizzard.
    They should have outright said no, because once they start retiring heroes people will stop playing.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

On top of that many people spent RL cash to get skins for those heroes. If they became unplayable then I am sure there is some kind of lawsuit that would fallow.

I know the first time I hear *X Hero is getting retired* I would stop playing OW.

- - - Updated - - -

They should have outright said no, because once they start retiring heroes people will stop playing.

Well first of all I don't think they would retire it instantly, I'm pretty sure they would give them the Hearthstone treatment, with a Standard format (Competitive match making) and a Wild Format (Quick play).

But even then, if they remove a hero, they can offer currency refunds for their skins / emotes / whatever so people can spend them on something else.

I'd rather they keep the option to remove champions if they feel the game would be better rather than keep them at all cost and have a broken game (if we ever get to that point).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradingus View Post
    Not sure why "retiring" heroes would even be on the table when they've never had that idea for games like Heroes of the Storm

Doubt it'll ever happen
    The difference is, with Heroes of the Storm, you buy those individual heroes. So "retiring" them means taking away an item you purchased.

You didn't pay for any individual heroes in Overwatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Which they'd lose. Because those users did NOT spend real life cash to buy skins for those heroes. They spent RL cash for lootboxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I don't get why removing? I mean, what it must happen for them to remove hero? I understand they add new hero to change gameplays and such, but removing a hero also means removing a gameplay style. I don't see a reason except "Oh well, too many heroes too few resources. Cut cut cut!"
    Imagine they've got a good hero idea, but it's too similar to an existing hero. Let's say a problematic hero, like McCree. So in the lore, they have a new "hero" (probably "villain" like Reaper, but playable for our purposes) called "Young Gun" or whatever, who challenges McCree to a duel, and wins. McCree dies, shot in the heart. New guy's half-Omnic (because that's something they haven't done, and explains how he can out-shoot McCree maybe).

This way, they get rid of a tough-to-balance hero, with a new version without the same issues, essentially replacing McCree, removing the flashbang for something more workable. The new hero's too similar to introduce them alongside McCree, so they'd have to swap them out.

Just as a what-if. Don't take that as an accusation that McCree is "unfixable", it was mostly the imagery of losing a high-noon duel that brought him to mind.

Deleted
    That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Which they'd lose. Because those users did NOT spend real life cash to buy skins for those heroes. They spent RL cash for lootboxes.
    I doubt that'd be as black and white as you suggest it is. A lot of it'll depend on what Blizzard does to compensate players for lost unlocked items. Furthermore this wasn't communicated clearly, so an argument could be made along the line of the product no longer meeting the initial expectation. That might not stand-up in the United States of America, but it might just be considered in some European countries as a valid line of reasoning.

Deleted
    i don't think they are going to do this. You can pay for skins, so they won't take your money like that

Don't touch my Pharah. Genji can turn to a pile of ash for all I care.