View Poll Results: what do you think? Did the right person die?

Voters
105. This poll is closed
  • yes

34 32.38%
  • no

2 1.90%
  • varian should be alive

20 19.05%
  • vol'jin should be alive

37 35.24%
  • someone else should have died

12 11.43%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Did the right person die at legion invasion?

My question to you all:
    Did the right person die at the start of this new expansion.
    In my opinion for the alliance yes, for the hord no.
    Explanation:
    Alliance: If varian would have been alive, peace would have been very likely between hord and alliance. And story wise that would have been very useless. And he was very big and loved. So it makes a nice impact on the players. And we have enough hero's left to fill the spot. And he also had not that much left to tell.

Hord: This was bad choice. Yes the hord know him very well. But he has barely been seen as a leader. It still felt like a hero that had some story to tell. He was loved, but only for a hero. Not yet for a warchief. And unlike the alliance. the hord has almost no one left to fill his shoe's. Yes they have allot of hero's but they are very minor ones, or a contested ( gallixwax for warchief??). Only reason why he should stay dead is the same reason as varian. They could have brought peace between the hord and alliance.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. So not facts. I am a alliance only player. So this is what i think as alliance player.
    Last edited by baskev; 2016-08-26 at 12:34 PM.

Vol'Jin should be alive. I wouldn't mind offing him in a later date or have him not be made warchief at all. Offing a character at their prime is dumb as fuck. Who's next to die in Legion? Anduin? Wrathion? Khadgar? Magni?

The Allianc at least had Varian go through a complete character arc and had a heroic death. Glory to the Allianc I guess.

Agree, and dissagree

Vol'Jin should have had some more storyline as the leader of the Horde without a doubt. This is a pretty sad ending for a character filled with so much storyline, even going back to WC3. It's a damn shame we didn't get to see more actions of his while trying to lead the Horde.

One thing I don't agree on tough is what you said about Varian. He was becoming more friendly towards the Horde for sure, but Anduin is pretty much the posterchild of Ally-Horde peace.. Varian was a much more intresting person imo, so I'm sad to see him go and getting a naïve child in his place. Altough it makes sense for the storyline to get someone who sees the Legion as the biggest threat in this world, but it feels like a classic case of good vs. evil. Extremely happy about Jaina's position right now tough ^^ Brings some extra spice in the storyline.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way the story is going, with the exceptions of Vol'Jin & the peace-loving Alliance wimp.

Deleted
    You think Varian is dead, that's cute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Varian turning into a Fel-puzzle was a good call. Despite him changing his ways from a hot-headed Xenophobe to a less-hot-headed less-Xenophobe, he was a weak leader when it came to decisions and his son was always there to pick up the pieces. Anduin had it coming sooner or later, that he would take the crown.

Vol'jin's presence throughout WoW seemed.. lackluster at best. He hardly took the spotlight, apart from the time he (finally) took back the Echo Isles and was nearly assassinated by Garrosh. Other than that, I didn't really care too much about him.

Quote Originally Posted by zubaja View Post
    Varian turning into a Fel-puzzle was a good call. Despite him changing his ways from a hot-headed Xenophobe to a less-hot-headed less-Xenophobe, he was a weak leader when it came to decisions and his son was always there to pick up the pieces. Anduin had it coming sooner or later, that he would take the crown.

Vol'jin's presence throughout WoW seemed.. lackluster at best. He hardly took the spotlight, apart from the time he (finally) took back the Echo Isles and was nearly assassinated by Garrosh. Other than that, I didn't really care too much about him.
    Well there was the whole rebellion, but i also believe he really should have done more. I was glad he got Warchief... They just flat out ignored he existed from then on.

To be fair im much more sad about Tirion than about either Varian or Vol'Jin tho.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandta View Post
    You think Varian is dead, that's cute.
    Sure seems like a plausible side-effect of getting ripped apart by fel magic.

Varian lost all faith in the Horde before he died. The cinematic had him yelling "for Azeroth!" And upon his death, he said "For the Allianc". His sneer just after Sylvanas pulled away her archers kinda showed that too.

I think if he were to survive the broken shore, all faith in the Horde would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Sure seems like a plausible side-effect of getting ripped apart by fel magic.
    tell me, do you see any chunks? do you see a corpse on the ground (for the pg excuse)? i dont. and i dont think gul'dan, nor the legion are the type to waste such a glorious opportunity.

do you have ANY idea what seeing him fight as a member of the legion would do to the alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Varian lost all faith in the Horde before he died. The cinematic had him yelling "for Azeroth!" And upon his death, he said "For the Allianc". His sneer just after Sylvanas pulled away her archers kinda showed that too.
    I think if he were to survive the broken shore, all faith in the Horde would be gone.
    I don't think so. You can see how Varian looks up to the ridge where Sylvanas stood and sees the demons approaching from there, and you can see a short change in his expression. I believe that he understood why the Horde needed to fall back, and he was probably the only one of the battlefield who looked up there. And his last sentence...well Gul'dan said that he sacrificed himself for nothing, where Varian replies he sacrificed himself for the Alliance because Genn and other leaders escaped and the Alliance will continue to exist, even though they have failed. Sadly the truth died with him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    The Alliance has lost all faith in the Horde as a reliable ally. Since WotLK, the Alliance/Horde team ups have almost always ended badly for the Alliance, whether it be due to betrayal (Ashran) or oversight (Putress) on the Horde's part. At the moment, it seems to be that the Alliance is just tolerating the Horde under the presumption that they need them to fight against the Legion.

I wouldn't be surprised if the building Alliance-Horde animosity is taken advantage of by N'zoth when it takes center stage.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they died - then they were the right persons to die.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keydiam View Post
    You can see how Varian looks up to the ridge where Sylvanas stood and sees the demons approaching from there, and you can see a short change in his expression.
    To me, it looked like panic setting in. The ridge connected directly to the Alliance's flank, essentially cutting short any ambitions of them fighting their way forward.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    tell me, do you see any chunks? do you see a corpse on the ground (for the pg excuse)? i dont. and i dont think gul'dan, nor the legion are the type to waste such a glorious opportunity.

do you have ANY idea what seeing him fight as a member of the legion would do to the alliance?
    Nor do I see any zombie-varian flexing over having survived that explosion. And they already did that story with Bolvar/Saurfang , there's no need to overcomplicate what is already a very memorable moment.

Horde didn't necessarily have to lose Vol'jin, just return him to his level as mere Darkspear chieftain. He wasn't a good fit for Warchief.

Having said that, I don't mind that he died, especially as his death was dignified and well done. It just felt very sudden considering he just had his major character development in MoP (albeit a shitty one), then didn't do jack in WoD. His death at this point makes it seem like he's a character Blizz "cancelled" after community backlash.

Varian had a full run and went out like a hero. It didn't feel forced or questionable, and his death also forces Anduin to take on responsibilities he didn't have as a mere prince, who of his own accord went AWOL on an undocumented continent.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It was Vol'jin's time. If he had remained leader we'd probably be wiped out during the next confrontation with the legion.
    Probably with him throwing all our forces at a fel scorpion with nothing but shitty siege weaponry and whatever armor we were wearing. Adventurers would survive, but regular horde troops? Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post

Check the cinematic again. You quite clearly see his body explode at 3 mins 47 secs. There wouldn't be a corpse left behind from that, just chunks and ashes. Looks certain to me.

I would concede your point that the Legion wouldn't waste an opportunity to turn him into something fel and demonic to be used against the defenders of Azeroth but Gul'dan said he's be remembered as the "king who died for nothing" which backs up the visuals of Varian's death. However, again as we know, not much stays dead in the Warcraft universe but this seems pretty final.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    i should stay dead
    Jeez dude. Turn that frown upside down!

Deleted
    I'm glad Varian died, I never liked his design or the fact that he was voiced by Metzen of all people. His character progression was also positively schizophrenic, from aggressive counterpart of Garrosh to mellow and noble voice of reason. At least his death generated all kinds of buzz, so Blizzard must have done something right with him, but he never sat right with me.

An older Anduin leading the alliance seems like a good opportunity.

Vol'jin who?

Alliance: Yes
    Horde: LOL NO
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."