Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I didn't read his post, but I can tell you from experience "Western Diets" do include a lot more meat.

I like Mediterranean dishes, because they're like 80% vegetables.
    Yeah, I know that, but that's still not exactly fast food. That's just general meals, including hot dogs, steak, hamburgers, bacon, etc.

If anything, Taco Bell has less meats than any of that, so...hurray fast food!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    A scumbag wouldn't care about how their food is produced. Whether it was grown ethically or not. Whether the animals were treated properly and fed well. These things factor in as to whether one is a decent human being or not. We all have a responsibility as citizens.
    Care to elaborate on how you "ethically" grow a plant?

And for the animal part, there are guidelines against extreme cruel behaviors, and there's places like Perdue which, at the very least, claim to care for the chickens well (Example of a product from their website), yet they don't label their meats as "organic".

Still sticking with it being a stretch. Also as Crissi said, poor people can't afford more expensive food, which is what organic tends to be, so if you truly had an issue with it, you should be going after the companies, not the people.

Have a well rounded diet. Try new recipes out and discover how many amazing types of food exist.

- - - Updated - - -

A scumbag wouldn't care about how their food is produced. Whether it was grown ethically or not. Whether the animals were treated properly and fed well. These things factor in as to whether one is a decent human being or not. We all have a responsibility as citizens.
    So someone who has barley enough money to eat should do research which will cost them time and money to figure out whether their food is grown ethically and then purchase food grown ethically even if it costs more? Do you really hate poor people that much ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yeah, I know that, but that's still not exactly fast food. That's just general meals, including hot dogs, steak, hamburgers, bacon, etc.

If anything, Taco Bell has less meats than any of that, so...hurray fast food!
    TBF it's probably not even meat. *Shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    TBF it's probably not even meat. *Shudders*
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ients/8501981/

Apparently it is at least 88% beef. Although my friend who worked there insisted it was made from oatmeal somehow...

Either way, not bad.

It's really due to inflammation, from what I've read. Can be caused by meat but also several other factors (high sugar, etc...stress alone can cause inflammation).

I saw an interesting video, that was part of a documentary, of mice that were fed a standard American diet (high sugar, meat) and how long it took them to pass a swim text (basically a swimming maze). Took them like 30-60 seconds longer than mice on a low-sugar diet.

Have a well rounded diet. Try new recipes out and discover how many amazing types of food exist.

- - - Updated - - -

There are many people who cannot afford that luxury. They eat what is cheapest and lucky if they can even have any balance to their 'diet'. Example: organic milk is 2-3x as much as non organic milk. Most people on a budget would be stupid to throw money away on the organic version.

The same goes for 'ethnic' stores and such. And I disagree if you make 'ethnic' food to have variety you are a more well rounded person. People can eat what they like and what they can afford; neither of those things makes a person a scumbag; but brin that judgemental against other usually does.
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't new news, at least not for me. It's been known for a while that Advanced Glycation End Products is related to Alzheimer's. Basically sugar and cooked food can produce AGES, which cause many problems like diabetes, cataracts, and stiffening in the arteries. It's also why skin ages and wrinkles.

This is why I eat salads for lunch and dinner, and any meat I consume is boiled and not fried or baked. I haven't consumed sugar in years, cause I know how bad it is for you.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-08-28 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think tha...

Damn it! What was I going to say?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Another study that hasn't been vetted or confirmed by more doctors. Its like every week I turn on the news Coffee is either turning me into Superman or giving me terrible cancer. I will be concerned if more doctors come up with this conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    This isn't new news, at least not for me. It's been known for a while that Advanced Glycation End Products is related to Alzheimer's. Basically sugar and cooked food can produce AGES, which cause many problems like diabetes, cataracts, and stiffening in the arteries. It's also why skin ages and wrinkles.

This is why I eat salads for lunch and dinner, and any meat I consume is boiled and not fried or baked. I haven't consumed sugar in years, cause I know how bad it is for you.

Wouldn't it be funny if you still got alzheimer's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol blaming meat again! It never gets old. And they even threw in specifically 'low-fat' dairy as a food correlated with health, despite plenty of papers showing health benefits of full-fat dairy.

reducing meat consumption could significantly reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease as well as of several cancers, diabetes mellitus type II, stroke, and, likely, chronic kidney disease
    Uhhhhhhhhhh right.

Because meat causes diabetes. Yup.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder when people might consider that these diseases - which are diseases of inflammation - might be caused by low-grade immune responses to combinations of food additives that have really only been studied in isolation. Colony collapse disorder, but for humans!

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Personally, I think tha...

Damn it! What was I going to say?
    Your diet can't be that bad, living in the East.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Lol blaming meat again! It never gets old. And they even threw in specifically 'low-fat' dairy as a food correlated with health, despite plenty of papers showing health benefits of full-fat dairy.
    One of the problems with these studies is that the type of meat is relevant. Processed versus non-processed, etc. Farm raised and wild game are very different from one another.

That being said, there are a lot of studies out there tying meat to adverse health risks, specifically processed red meat. Could have more to do with the chemicals used in the processing than the meat itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    They found that when many people in Japan left behind the traditional diet to start consuming a more Westernized diet, Alzheimer’s disease rates rose from one percent in 1985 to seven percent in 2008.
    I'm probably the only one this bothers. <bungee mumbles something involving the words correlation and causation> Diet shifted across a population, did the change correspond to the aging of a group whose diet shifted?

There is a specific form of Alzheimer's known as early onset Alzheimer's:

Alzheimer's is not just a disease of old age. Younger-onset (also known as early-onset) Alzheimer's affects people younger than age 65. Up to 5 percent of the more than 5 million Americans with Alzheimer’s have younger-onset.
    Source: http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_early_onset.asp

Note that even in the US, early onset accounts for less than 5% of the cases. That means that most cases fall to the 65 and over category, with the average age being late seventies.

Now, about the Japanese diet:

The daily diet of the Japanese people has changed drastically over the past years, with corresponding changes in agricultural production. In the early postwar years of food shortage, people ate sweet potatoes, barley and millet more than white rice, which was scarce and expensive. Vegetables and fish in small quantities served as side dishes. Although rice regained its traditional place at the center of the preferred Japanese diet by the early 1950s, western staples of meat, bread, and dairy products soon made inroads. Many people credit the national school lunch program with changing the diet preferences of the younger generation because it served milk and a roll along with a hot dish. Japanese now eat much more meat, bread, and dairy products, while consumption of rice has declined. By the 1970s, western style restaurants and fast foods further changed the eating habits of urban Japanese. Instead of the traditional diet of rice for breakfast and dinner and noodles for lunch, most urban Japanese now eat a western breakfast and lunch, with rice remaining the staple food only for most dinners.
    Source: http://www.crosscurrents.hawaii.edu/...&unit=JFOOD021

Take 75 as a ballpark figure for Alzheimer's. 2008-75=1933 Take 1975 as the period when Western diet had become a major influence. 1975-1933=42 Japanese born in 1933 would have been 42 by then and people tend to be fairly set in their ways by that age.

So, does the this study show causation, or does it merely reflect the aging Japanese population: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Japan
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Tennis has already made serious actions to counter this - no worries people.

can someone explain to me what type of posts does tennis do? a weird SJW-esque ones?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    can someone explain to me what type of posts does tennis do? a weird SJW-esque ones?
    Any type of post that glorifies canada in a "progressive" way, often taken to the extreme. I do like them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Any type of post that glorifies canada in a "progressive" way, often taken to the extreme. I do like them though.
    Don't forget that all women are fragile little creatures to him and any woman considered even remotely strong are butch.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Don't forget that all women are fragile little creatures to him and any woman considered even remotely strong are butch.
    isnt that a little bit sexist? and against everything progressives do?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    isnt that a little bit sexist? and against everything progressives do?
    No one ever said he was consistent.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Yep, it's always funny though to see how people argue against him/her.