Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You have not proven that usage rates are the top factor in who gets caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I never said they were, and that's not relevant. You're trying to get me to disprove your claim that usage practices mitigate the observed arrest bias.
    Oh I thought you were claiming usage rates were a top factor. If you understand they are merely one factor with a minority influence, then we are likely in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Actually the burden of proof is on you. You have interpreted the data, and as thus it's on you to actually prove your case. You've made an assumption based on said data, the data didn't make any.
    Claim: black people are more likely to be arrested for drug crimes than white people, despite violating drug laws at the same rate. This is racist.

Proof: Data provided a couple pages ago.

I've met my burden. The second part of the claim is just a description of the rest of the claim.

Claim: black people are more likely to be arrested for drug crimes than white people, despite violating drug laws at the same rate. This is racist.

I've met my burden. The second part of the claim is just a description of the rest of the claim.
    Which page? can you just provide said link since you seem to know where it is?

Usage rates are the same, and drug arrests are one of the most common arrests. Overall crime rate wouldn't explain the vastly outsized arrest rate.
    Drug arrests really don't have much to do with it either. You've made a leap to racism. But maybe drugs are just more prevalent because more people are buying them in higher crime areas. Sellers are selling because people are buying. Stop buying and pushers move elsewhere.

How does one know that there has been a drug law violation if one does not get arrested for it and therefor it be put in the books?

Quote Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
    I wasn't aware usage rates were the same, is there a citation for this? I knew the violent crime rate was way higher but did not know about the usage rates being the same.
    Sure, a couple pages ago, big graph, can't miss it. Black people smoke weed at a slightly higher rate, and white people use several hard drugs at a higher rate.

Though as a cop, wouldn't you go to where the crime is more concentrated overall?
    This can be a self fulfilling prophecy. Let's say you're a cop in my town. We're a moderate sized college town with a lot of wealthy out of towners going to school. Weed is legal in my state but we'll overlook this for the time being.

If you're a cop and you go downtown you could make a couple arrests for drug possession, and the crime rate would seem higher there. You could also go to the college and do the same. So when you decide where to go based on crime rates you end up going to places that are already policed more, reinforcing the cycle. So the poor and minority citizens in the "high crime" area get arrested and the rich white kids at the school don't.

The rate people are arrested at in an area isn't a measurement of how many people are breaking the law in a given area.

What do you expect from a bunch of miscreants like the 49ers and their fans?

Signed Sincerely,
    Seattle Fan

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    His choice.
    There's no discussion here
    This. Free country means free country. Do what you want so long as it's not harming others physically.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    What do you expect from a bunch of miscreants like the 49ers and their fans?

Signed Sincerely,
    Seattle Fan
    Excuse me sir, but Seahawks fans are basically the missing link between man and our common ancestor with chimps.

What usage? Data really doesn't say anything about what is being used. Maybe usage rate arrests are higher due to harder, more addictive and dangerous drugs. Maybe white people get arrested less because it's mainly pot. Where, maybe, arrests are higher due to more crack or whatever. Simple supply and demand.

So there's a counter argument against racism. Basically it's an interpretation of the data, just as you are doing.

Excuse me sir, but Seahawks fans are basically the missing link between man and our common ancestor with chimps.
    And we're still a good step above 9ers, even with our lacking chins and simian countenances.

No one flings shit like a 9er

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    What usage? Data really doesn't say anything about what is being used. Maybe usage rate arrests are higher due to harder, more addictive and dangerous drugs. Maybe white people get arrested less because it's mainly pot. Where, maybe, arrests are higher due to more crack or whatever. Simple supply and demand.

So there's a counter argument against racism. Basically it's an interpretation of the data, just as you are doing.
    I've already linked usage rates. The vast majority of drug usage is weed.

- - - Updated - - -

And we're still a good step above 9ers, even with our lacking chins and simian countenances.

No one flings shit like a 9er
    Hawks can't win a game unless they're at home so their fans can boost their fee-fees.

Hawks can't win a game unless they're at home so their fans can boost their fee-fees.
    9ers can't win a game period. At least not against us.

So I am not sure how usage rates necessarily correlate to arrests as if I do just about any kind of drug at my home and bother no one I will not be arrested. Seems like a weak jump to racism just by raw usage rates vs arrest rates. Now if you could show me where white people get stopped for drugs by police at the same rate as blacks and just get let go then that would be a much stronger link to racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    which doesnt happen. People start screaming about being unpatriotic for every little thing, and "move out if you're so unhappy" for every single criticism of America, even if said criticism is warranted. I find such people worthless to society.
    I find people who think that in 2016, they are solely judged on their race, in a first world country, and that their race is treated so unfairly, as if other countries are better, to be equally worthless in society.

9ers can't win a game period. At least not against us.
    After a couple decades of being the best its nice to let the poors have a few.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dark666105 View Post
    So I am not sure how usage rates necessarily correlate to arrests as if I do just about any kind of drug at my home and bother no one I will not be arrested. Seems like a weak jump to racism just by raw usage rates vs arrest rates. Now if you could show me where white people get stopped for drugs by police at the same rate as blacks and just get let go then that would be a much stronger link to racism.
    Why do you assume different usage practices?

7+ Year Old Account
    No you have jumped to a conclusion without causal evidence.

For example, tell me why the following statement conclusion is right or wrong:
    In China, Asian people are more likely to become billionaires than white people, despite similar income rates. This is racist.

9ers fans are still the best.

At stabbing people in the stadium restrooms or parking lots.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you assume different usage practices?
    Why do you assume same usage practices? I am just playing devils advocate to show the flaw in correlating the data based on an assumption.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I would be interested in seeing possession vs distribution (though more for my own curiosity) arrests rather than having them all lumped into drug offenses. Also arrests based on drug type would be interesting to see the breakdown of.