Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Unless Toronto event centers and catering is immensely inflated cost, this article is full of shit. 9 years in the wedding business and you would have to go out of your way to spend 90k on a wedding. But that was central Texas. Maybe we are just cheaper.

Also I'm assuming that 90k is in CAD, so it's really like $13 in USD

7+ Year Old Account
    Pointless

{10char}
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2016-08-28 at 07:05 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow....I think I spent 8k including venue, damn good food, 7 day cruise honeymoon, etc.

Been to 100k weddings and they are truly awesome but definitely not how I like to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    Shes getting ripped off. I Maitre D' at a 4star wedding venue on Long Island and the average price for a pretty lavish 200person wedding is around 20-30k.

This is in Toronto, where because of high demand for most venues there, the prices have gone up because of shortage of supply.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    In western culture the gift should be worth more than the money the hosts put out to feed you. So if the wedding is 30/head and you have a family of four: your family's gift should be more than 120$, I would say at least 200$. I typically give at least double (depends on how close the host is to me) the estimated cost for each head in my family (we have four). I also always give cash, for any occasion. I figure it is better than a blender, it saves me time and as we all know "time is money, my friends......."

- - - Updated - - -

I would go to that pizza hut wedding (as long as they had the checkered tablecloths and the red sort of transparent glasses) and I would eat my fair share, but my gift will compensate for the damages....
    cool then i wont show up to the wedding. if someone doesn't like my gift too bad.
    also am i the only who finds it appalling that people are looking at a wedding as a way TO MAKE MONEY? WTF? that sounds sick to me. like your exploiting your family or something.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-08-28 at 08:19 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    You should get life insurance. I mean, it's not about expecting to die. It's that you could.

Or every other insurance for that matter. I mean, they are not guaranteed to happen, but it could happen, so i mean, better safe than sorry, right.

My gripe with this line of thinking, is that it puts the one proposing this, in very odd and stupid situations.
    You should have life insurance. I have two separate policies - one through my job, and one personal.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    $130 a plate? What kind of food is going to be offered? $130 is more than I would spend if I were to invite 10 people to a day long party.

And 200 people... Seriously, where do you even get so many? Do you invite like every niece-of-a-friend-of-a-brother-of-a-friend-of-a-friend or something?

---

I don't know, I can't imagine spending more than $1,000 on my wedding. And even that would be quite a luxurious wedding. But people who have incomes in hundreds thousands a year... Well, sure, it is understandable.
    A plate is per person for the whole wedding, will normally include a Venetian hour, open bar, and a choice of 4 entree' usually a fish dish, a steak dish, a chicken dish and sometimes a vegetarian option. Then desert, not including the cake which you have to have made separate. I've been to weddings as cheap as $75 a head, and probably close to $200 a head. And weddings in excess of 100+ guests are not uncommon here. If you're italian,greek or hispanic you may have 100 guests just among aunts, uncles, cousins and their spouses and children. Toss in your close circles of friends for bride and groom, good friends of the family and coworkers and 150-200 isn't that far fetched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Unless Toronto event centers and catering is immensely inflated cost, this article is full of shit. 9 years in the wedding business and you would have to go out of your way to spend 90k on a wedding. But that was central Texas. Maybe we are just cheaper.

Also I'm assuming that 90k is in CAD, so it's really like $13 in USD
    Toronto is a world class city so obviously it's pricey. A decent detached home is gonna run you 1.5 Mil or so.
    I'm not sure why you think central Texas is comparable. Maybe South beach or somewhere sure but central Texas....nah.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you spend all your money then she can't take anything in the eventual divorce.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    China is the same. $50 each.
    For $100k, you need to have 2000 people to show up to break even

To be fair, a princess costs millions of dollars, not $100k.
    Well, $100k is a really extravagent wedding. You also have to consider that some will give more than the 50$/head. The rich uncle for instance. It might be balanced out by the cheap people that will give less though. So, rule of thumb, for your expensive wedding- do not invite the people unlikely to give a nice gift, haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    cool then i wont show up to the wedding. if someone doesn't like my gift too bad.
    also am i the only who finds it appalling that people are looking at a wedding as a way TO MAKE MONEY? WTF? that sounds sick to me. like your exploiting your family or something.
    It is actually the whole purpose of a wedding. A wedding is a celebration of the bride and groom coming together to start a new life. The family and friends of the groom and bride all pitch in to help the bride and groom start a new life. What is wrong with that, family and friends are supposed to help each other.

Aside from that, it is insanely bad taste to give a gift at any party less than what it cost to have you at the party. So if you goto a Birthday party that costs roughly 30/head, you have to at least give a gift more than that. It is considered common decency in most circles. You are free to do as you want of course, everyone was raised differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSense View Post
    A plate is per person for the whole wedding, will normally include a Venetian hour, open bar, and a choice of 4 entree' usually a fish dish, a steak dish, a chicken dish and sometimes a vegetarian option. Then desert, not including the cake which you have to have made separate. I've been to weddings as cheap as $75 a head, and probably close to $200 a head. And weddings in excess of 100+ guests are not uncommon here. If you're italian,greek or hispanic you may have 100 guests just among aunts, uncles, cousins and their spouses and children. Toss in your close circles of friends for bride and groom, good friends of the family and coworkers and 150-200 isn't that far fetched.
    Yeah it really all comes down to what is included. Typically, the open bar is usually more expensive than the food- especially if they are offering premium bottles. Then there are extras like desert bar, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Al Bundy is a man who peaked in High School after scoring 4 touch downs in a single game. He is a legend among men, but is not someone to be seen as the idol of marriage either for or against

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    That is not the norm though.
    That depends on where you are, in most parts of the northeast that is definitely common. Also common here to give money instead of gifts, I've been to weddings out of state where people gave sets of wine glasses and luggage and shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Eh, their wedding their business. Although 100k would be too much for me. Maybe more like 20 or 30k. I'll probably spend like 3k on my dress
    I'm getting married in 18 months, we plan on spending less than 10k (not counting the cost of rings + her dress, which totals about 4k).
    Granted, we are only having ~40 guests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Man, and I thought my sister blowing 30k on her wedding was ridiculous. I spent about 1k, got married at a nice venue, had most of my family with me, had a wonderful reception, and a great honeymoon in Atlanta. And still had 9k left from my dad (he put aside 10k for each of us to use for our wedding) to help finance the start of our life together.

Why do people need big, splashy affairs? Who looks back in 10 years and says 'Man, that one day was totally worth the several dozen grand we spent on it'?

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    Shes getting ripped off. I Maitre D' at a 4star wedding venue on Long Island and the average price for a pretty lavish 200person wedding is around 20-30k.
    That sounds far too good to be true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Mine was less than 200$ Just went to a judge brought my sister and her man and my mom. Who ever spends more is just insane or really into big family get togethers
    My friend invited 400 guests for big numbers and kicks. Some she barely knew or liked. The reception sucked because it was only simple hor d'oeuvres and they completely ran out of food and beverages. And beverages were only bottled water, juice and pop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in an odd way fortunate. I have a small family, and it is even smaller than it should be since I don't talk to the majority of them.

I would be inviting about 8 people from my family to my wedding. The rest will be close friends, so maybe another 20. My g/f has a larger family, but we will try to keep that around the same amount of people.

So we are looking at less than 60 people. I never went through all the religious practices (confirmation, and communion) So I can't exactly get married in a church. It will likely be an outdoor event, or a small hall. I will have one of my friends officiate the wedding as I have a bunch who are pseudo ministers.

I don't really want to spend more than $5,000 tops. In my opinion, a wedding should be a memorable event, but it shouldn't put you in debt either.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I feel this kind of cost is mostly due to having very large families. Wedding dresses are expensive, sure. But that's only about 1/3rd the cost. Most of the budget goes to the reception and temple/church arrangements.

Honeymoon costs are a separate thing in my view. That's a vacation of sorts and it's not part of the wedding, exactly.

This is why there's such a thing as "the 1%"
    Because morons give away their money.

Deleted
    kek
    I would never pay that
    just to have it on paper that you love someone
    seems silly
    even if I had that money, seems more reasonable to spend it elsewhere
    so let's be reasonable for a second

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    thats to much for a wedding sry you can have a big wedding and paying lesser then 10k even this is to much i personally dont like big weddings its enough to have the inner family best friends on the wedding just my opinion.
    Even 10k is too much for what is essentially a party

Weddings in general are just ridiculous. I am coming up on second wedding I am best man for. Bachelor party, tux rental, travel fees, hotel fees. Shit adds up even when you're not getting married....