Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Playing Warcraft as a European

I just thought I'd tell you all why I like Warcraft as a hardcore European:

Because the game is European in its core elements, and they are all of quality.

Here, enjoy Medieval European kind of music to get a sense of what I'm talking about:

This is lovely.

Do other Europeans share the sentiment?

As an exercise of your professed form of jingo-Euro-nationalism, it's complete BS if you are going to play American games made by American companies. As noted, the one and only reason you see all this European influence is because the US has all this European influence. They didn't call in experts to figure out how to make it "European-ish", the medieval aesthetics arrive culturally to the minds of Americans honestly, because that is also our history for the largest part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    As an exercise of your professed form of jingo-Euro-nationalism, it's complete BS if you are going to play American games made by American companies. As noted, the one and only reason you see all this European influence is because the US has all this European influence. They didn't call in experts to figure out how to make it "European-ish", the medieval aesthetics arrive culturally to the minds of Americans honestly, because that is also our history for the largest part.
    Hello boring cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    *snip*
    US company makes the game... Where do you think those folks in the US came from? Here's a hint, a lot of them came from Europe... does that make the US European now? You tell us.

PS. Your anti-American hatred should probably extend to your gaming choices also, lest someone take the opportunity to point at your rank hypocrisy and mock the hell out of you.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2016-08-29 at 03:18 PM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Not really. America has its own rich fantasy culture. The Wizard of Oz couldn't have been written by a european or any one of another nationality. There were many other interesting fantasy stories from the same era.

Blizzard probably went with the medieval fantasy genre because it is by far the most popular, possibly because of the disproportionate influence of LOTR within and without the US.

Deleted
    So, Americans appreciate their part-European ancestry and culture, make a game dedicated to it, and I, a European, shouldn't enjoy it even though I am closer to it than they are?

Deleted
    Do other Europeans share the sentiment?
    There is little common cultural identity among europeans.

I assume you are trying to wind up the yanks by exhibiting the same kind of idiotic nationalism that they do. You are probably wasting your time, they don't get irony.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, Americans appreciate their part-European ancestry and culture, make a game dedicated to it, and I, a European, shouldn't enjoy it even though I am closer to it than they are?
    By playing and giving your money to Blizzard you are furthering the American dream, which you clearly hate, which makes you a hypocrite... or a bad liar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post

I assume you are trying to wind up the yanks by exhibiting the same kind of idiotic nationalism that they do. You are probably wasting your time, they don't get irony.
    I suspect you might be onto something.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

By all means enjoy it, but just accept that you are violating your own stated ethos about how awful it is to patronize American goods and services when you do it, because Warcraft is a quintessentially American product.

Deleted

Europeans are branches of the same tree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europeans are branches of the same tree.
    And like it or not the US is a branch of that same tree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Absolutely NOT. They are the fallen leaf that the tree shook off on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, save me that bull... and you really shouldn't keep making these EU v US threads... its likely to bring you unwanted attention.

Deleted
    Please, save me that bull... and you really shouldn't keep making these EU v US threads... its likely to bring you unwanted attention.
    This isn't the EU vs the US. Americans keep turning my threads into that, but that's not my intention. I am merely justified my use of some American-made products.

Really, Warcraft is European. Everyone knows that. It is like being in Medieval Europe with fantasy in it. That's why I love it.

Deleted
    It's almost as if the US was mainly European.

Look, I know you are trolling and having a good time and I'm having fun watching it, but you shouldn't be this blatant about it.

Europe didn't shake off America

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't the EU vs the US. Americans keep turning my threads into that, but that's not my intention. I am merely justified my use of some American-made products.

Really, Warcraft is European. Everyone knows that. It is like being in Medieval Europe with fantasy in it. That's why I love it.
    But there is no 'justification' it's you freely admitting that the Europeans cant make anything better that Warcraft so you are compelled to shit all over your anti-american hatred and buy American, its hypocrisy. Admit your hatred and hypocrisy it and just move along.

Deleted
    I'd go along with that. Most UK citizens see themselves as at least as if not more interconnected with US culture than europe. Affection for the US, and that is not to overstate the sentiment emotive as it may be, was a major part of the motivations behind the Brexit campaign.

That said, I'm very curious (before this descends into another series of predictable flames no one will read) as to why the US has never developed its own fantasy mythos from very promising beginnings. The "Wizard Of Oz" was actually published before LOTR and there was a time when US fantasy culture could hold its own with Europe.

Nowadays the fantasy genre is dominated by medieval euro-fantasy and, increasingly, asian fantasy. What happened to US culturally-based fantasy?
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-08-29 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Look, I know you are trolling and having a good time and I'm having fun watching it, but you shouldn't be this blatant about it.

Europe didn't shake off America
    ?

In a way, it did.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go along with that. Most UK citizens see themselves as at least as if not more interconnected with US culture than europe. Affection for the US was a major part of the motivations behind the Brexit campaign.

That said, I'm very curious (before this descends into another series of predictable flames no one will read) as to why the US has never developed its own fantasy mythos from very promising beginnings. The "Wizard Of Oz" was actually published before LOTR and there was a time when US fantasy culture could hold its own with Europe.

Nowadays the fantasy genre is dominated by medieval euro-fantasy and, increasingly, asian fantasy. What happened to US culturally-based fantasy?
    Thats a brilliant question one of which I dont have an answer.