Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    My guess is that google/youtube looked at the rise of Trump and the far right in europe and thought "maybe we'd better change things", because the echo chamber they created is causing some serious polarization. I don't think this is advertiser-led-advertisers care about nothing beyond ROI. The advertising executives I've met would have advertised on a snuff movie if it made them money.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of censorship, but I could do without all the hate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    boogie2988 talked about it today on his channel. I guess they've already demonetized half a dozen of his videos.

Is that the physical definition of a neckbeard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    My guess is that google/youtube looked at the rise of Trump and the far right in europe and thought "maybe we'd better change things", because the echo chamber they created is causing some serious polarization. I don't think this is advertiser-led-advertisers care about nothing beyond ROI. The advertising executives I've met would have advertised on a snuff movie if it made them money.

Of course some will, but Youtube wants the big guys that TV channels have.

Edit In: Advertisers like as much control as they can get. Thats why sponsorship are dropped on athletes, and even some shows when something very controversial is done. They dont want their names associated. Lets not kid ourselves, this was not done out of morals, this was done for $$$$, much like Fb, and other social media.

Basically youtube just wants every one to be like the new MatPat from game theory. Clean, sterilized, and content for everyone. (granted his was never a channel that was super controversial, but I use him as an example)
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2016-09-01 at 07:50 PM.

YT is becoming the new TV. It's been happening in little increments over the last year or two.
    Time for a new video site!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Of course some will, but Youtube wants the big guys that TV channels have.

Edit In: Advertisers like as much control as they can get. Thats why sponsorship are dropped on athletes, and even some shows when something very controversial is done. They dont want their names associated. Lets not kid ourselves, this was not done out of morals, this was done for $$$$, much like Fb, and other social media.

Basically youtube just wants every one to be like the new MatPat from game theory. Clean, sterilized, and content for everyone. (granted his was never a channel that was super controversial, but I use him as an example)
    Yeah its all about the money and not about ethtics or morals so all it wants now is its Pewdipies and Matpats tough I wonder if it will take care of bully channels like Keemstar or Leafytishere.

My guess is that google/youtube looked at the rise of Trump and the far right in europe and thought "maybe we'd better change things", because the echo chamber they created is causing some serious polarization.

You're exactly why these guys (YT, FB, Twitter) have introduced such policies.

They want to limit your exposure to opinions that don't suit the confirmation bias you've been conditioned to accept.

YT, FB, Twitter are all leftist owned and operated entities.

The long standing tactic of leftism is to decree that all conflicting opinions are "racist" or "bigoted" or "whatever-a-phobic" with no consideration paid to the truth of whether they actually are or not.

You demonstrate that effectiveness with your association of Trump+far right Europe = serious problem/hate.

The consequence here is that in addition to whatever small amount of actual hate coming from a side (which can be either side btw) these policies are/will be striking any and all counter opinions whatsoever via priority manipulation, demonetizing, or outright banning.

So you have a historical tactic of dismissing any opposing viewpoint combined with a modern tactic of limiting peoples ability to even hear those opposing viewpoints in the first place.

That's some pretty serious population control, you see that right?

And I don't care how smart or educated or informed somebody thinks they are...

...limiting ones intake of information is the absolute antithesis of being smart or educated or informed.

What this creates, incoming irony, is the very echo chamber you criticized.

Something to think about.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    boogie2988 talked about it today on his channel. I guess they've already demonetized half a dozen of his videos.

ohnickel talked about it too.

Formerly known as Arafal

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    Yeah its all about the money and not about ethtics or morals so all it wants now is its Pewdipies and Matpats tough I wonder if it will take care of bully channels like Keemstar or Leafytishere.
    I read that Keemstar had like 90% of his videos demonetized.

this might not be as bad as we thought?

is he correct?

Maybe stop being a cynical asshole and your channel won't be blocked?

Ido not see the problem here

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

i didnt know saying the word "Acne" makes you a cynical asshole.
    https://twitter.com/melaniietweets/s...099904?lang=de

Formerly known as Arafal

15+ Year Old Account
    This is obviously pressure from advertisers to not associate their products with videos they don't want to be connected with.

Why don't they just allow the advertisers an option to state instead, "I would like my videos to only be shown on videos which are:

- not sexually suggestive, and contain no bare skin
    - free of all violence or talk of violence
    - free of any words which may be offensive to anyone
    - free of any drug references
    - lacking in any controversy or sensitive subject matter, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphic imagery is not shown"

Then there can be a million advertisements before you watch one non-gender-identifiable person, clad in a Niqab, sing Kumbaya My Lord, because it's the only video left on youtube that is universally non-offensive, free from sexual suggestion, drug references, or controversy.

That is, until some dude starts wacking off to the mystery of the niqab, and a militant atheist reports the video for oppressing his religious opinion - just to make a point.

Then they can take that down, and youtube can just be advertisements before other advertisements - and we'll all end up on Vimeo or WorldStar or whatever comes next - that lets us post whatever we want.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Basically YouTube is all about the uh cha-ching cha-ching and yeah b-bling b-bling
    I don't understand the video. Is there more to life than setting interest rate targets? Do people have lived experiences outside consumption-leisure trade offs in a two period setting? Sorry, I cannot comprehend things not contained in the Central banks minutes and there is no mention of fundamental liberties in them.

In all seriousness without money you are not getting anywhere in this life and the more you have it, the easier is to achieve happiness.

Also Youtube is too big to fail, so I don't see how any of these youtubers will move. They just need the big youtubers and youtube is set to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    You're exactly why these guys (YT, FB, Twitter) have introduced such policies.

They want to limit your exposure to opinions that don't suit the confirmation bias you've been conditioned to accept.
    As should be obvious, this affects the left as much as the far right. Left-wing sites were complaining about demonetization YEARS ago,

And there isn't any educational benefit to listening to a bunch of dribbling unreconstructed racist cunts making the same five points they plagiarized off articles written by the two far right guys who can actually construct coherent sentence in an english to an acceptable level.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-09-01 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    So with all the conspiracy theory posts on mmoc lately I guess those are allowed here now?

It is funny though to see all the usual suspects crawl out of the woodwork projecting their victim complex. "You mean I can't monetize my alt-right hate speech anymore? Illuminati confirmed! No step on snek!!!!!!11!111!"
    If what you do is allowed, I don't see why "conspiracy theories" wouldn't be allowed...

OT: This can either turn out really bad or "okay."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Why does cynicism deserve censorship or blockage or any type of punishment?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    If what you do is allowed, I don't see why "conspiracy theories" wouldn't be allowed...

OT: This can either turn out really bad or "okay."

- - - Updated - - -

Why does cynicism deserve censorship or blockage or any type of punishment?
    I think you miss the point. What is happening is bad. Worse, in google's opinion, than censorship.

I am not sure I would do the same in their position. But I'd have to think about it. It is obvious google have a lot to do with political polarization. I'm not sure I'd want a Trump presidency on my conscience.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-09-01 at 09:08 PM.

I think you miss the point. What is happening is bad. Worse, in google's opinion, than censorship.

I am not sure I would do the same in their position. But I'd have to think about it. It is obvious google have a lot to do with political polarization. I'm not sure I'd want a Trump presidency on my conscience.
    People will polarize regardless. I doubt there are many neutral people out there who happened to see some alt-right guy on youtube praising Trump.. and after seeing this video they changed their vote to Trump. Most (i'd say 99.9999%) of people who see those video would probably already be voting for Trump anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit of an update.

it's pretty obvious this isn't about censorship but YT capitulating to advertisers that are stuck in a bygone era. oh we don't want our products advertised on this video because we feel like it wont reach out to the max number of people possible! I think the amazing atheist is right to say YT just has a hair up it's ass and it will eventually fall out. or it wont, and people who want the content they want will move elsewhere. really this is nothing but bad news for YT if they keep going down this road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    it's pretty obvious this isn't about censorship but YT capitulating to advertisers that are stuck in a bygone era. oh we don't want our products advertised on this video because we feel like it wont reach out to the max number of people possible!
    So...exactly how ads work on every other medium, pretty much? You realize that advertisers can target their ad buys on TV, in magazines/newspapers, on the radio etc. to avoid them appearing new certain content for the most part, and to target specific audiences, right?

I mean, Google definitely could do a lot to improve things on YouTube, both for advertisers and content creators, don't get me wrong. It never really feels like they try very hard, but then again I don't think they actually make a profit off of YouTube, at least not as of last year, so it makes sense that they're not pushing very hard.