Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    People who manually update their addons are a minority? Never thought about it.

Curse is worthless now. They got greedy, and it's not going to happen. Why would people want to pay for a premium service for add-on management? Great job, in offending your entire user base.

I actually don't mind the big ad, but I have no interest in this new app at all. I will stay with my current version until they forcefully take it away from me. Then I will find another simple little addon manager without at all the extra sh*t.

I have used Curse for years and would hate to have to stop. I just don't need all the extra bloat every time I want to simply update my addons.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2016-09-02 at 01:38 AM.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    the other day I went to Curse to try to get addons manually.

It took like an hour to find out where they were on the site. I hate the new Curse. I want Addons, not Facebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no interest in anything else other than it managing my addons. I will keep using the current Curse client until it's ripped from us, then it'll be back to manual updates like how it was prior to my discovering the program during WotLK.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

I open curse, I update addons, then I close it. A total overhaul wasn't required.

If you are only interested in the add-on management features of the new Curse client then open the new app and in the bottom left corner click on the gear icon. This will open your settings. Now in the left pane select 'Addons'. Now in the top of the right pane select 'General'. Go to the option 'Show my addons at launch' and click the check box to toggle it to green.

Now when you start the new Curse client it will open straight to your add-ons. You can hit update and then close the application.

This should make it so the additional features do not inconvenience anyone who is only interested in managing their addons.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I understand why Curse is making this transition, but I plan on using Curse Client v5 until I no longer can use it. All I need is add-on management. I don't raid, I don't have a guild, I'm not a social media maven, who would I even make calls with... and I did leave several feedback notes after trying the new Curse application (may the word "app" die an ignominious death from the English language), so I do know something of what I am talking about. And, I view it only as fair warning to others: because of the addition of several features, the application used nearly half a gigabyte of memory. I have plenty of RAM, but that's not the point.

(And just to soothe some feathers out there, it's not Curse-specific. I hate the Battle.net application, too, for many of the same kind of reasons, even though I understand the technical and business reasons for Blizzard using it.)

Fuck outta here with that full page ad.

Can we have a bigger ad, I'm not sure I could see that one really well.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Curse make money off those extra services, so it makes sense to have them up front and center in the client if people do use them.
    and they can f... off - we never asked for additional services we wanted addon managment tool - if they refuse to provide that im sure there will be someone else willing to make new tool which does just that

Deleted
    Another app that blows up while I only use 10% of it. So sad that wowmatrix minion etc all died and are garbage due to the curse monopoly.
    And wth is this stuff about discord - as I see it it's like just the same overblown new generation thingy. Roger Wilco and IRC do exactly the same!

It is a very useful to have them all in one program but I dont know if it work if people dont use it and use skype or teamspeak

Until one day, when this fancy new curse decides you actually dont have any addons and all you can do is thank god you kept the old client around to do the job.

How did anyone at Curse try this and thought it was a good idea? I've never been a paid subscriber, but this program is so bad that I would pay to use the old version.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by I Cannot Fap To That View Post
    Time for someone to write a lightweight addon manager and kill Curse. Such a shame, it really did do a good job at addon management.
    The writing an update manager isn't hard, as you know it's been done several times before, the problem is the cost of bandwidth for millions of users, take DBM for example:

3.8 MB download
    3.8 MILLION downloads per MONTH
    that's 15200 GB or 15.2 TERABYTE per MONTH just for DBM, not including all the other addons they host as well.

People whinge, bitch, moan and complain but I don't see many people willing to pickup the slack for the cost of hosting all that bandwidth, and it certainly doesn't grow on trees, maybe Blizzard should? I mean it's their game...

I just wanted to say that I've been using the curse app for a while and I think it's fantastic. I've been trying to get people to switch for a while. I'm really not sure what the complaining is about. The interface is a lot cleaner than the old client. I guess it's a bit bloated if you don't want to take advantage of the other features but at the same time those features work great if you want to utilize them.

Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    The writing an update manager isn't hard, as you know it's been done several times before, the problem is the cost of bandwidth for millions of users, take DBM for example:

3.8 MB download
    3.8 MILLION downloads per MONTH
    that's 15200 GB or 15.2 TERABYTE per MONTH just for DBM, not including all the other addons they host as well.

People whinge, bitch, moan and complain but I don't see many people willing to pickup the slack for the cost of hosting all that bandwidth, and it certainly doesn't grow on trees, maybe Blizzard should? I mean it's their game...
    this actually coudl be potentialy good idea - addon download manager build into blizzard launcher - very simplistic tool just managing addons

I've been paying for Curse premium for several years now as I found it convenient be able to update all at once and sync my addons on three PCs I run WoW at, not to mention backup of settings into cloud is handy as well (whoever lost settings of all addons due to OS fuckup knows what I'm talking about). So I find it cool they make new tool I could use. Fine and all. But as all I need is addon management, I would like to keep my v5, thank you very much. I can imagine someone might like the Curse app but please for heaven sake don't force me hand, orc. I'm fine if v5 will have new design as long as it will work as standalone app. It's good to have an option, but really, not everyone wants to have all-in-one solutions.

10+ Year Old Account
    A full page ad? not at all interested. I manually update my addons anyways.