Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Do you have a specific critique of political correctness you want to point that finger at, or are you just watching too much South Park and confusing PC Principal for a person, rather than a satire.

Blackhawks / Indians are offensive because, when most other teams are using animals - you're using a minority - which equates them with animals / sub-human. You create mascots and imagery that reduce them into cartoon caricatures:

Do you understand why that is inappropriate?

I don't believe that anyone has a right to not-be-offended, but there is a legitimate argument for not needlessly denigrating people and cultures. It's one thing if it's a racist / inappropriate joke (I believe in giving great leeway to humor), it's another if it's plastered all over your city.
    Mascots are often chosen as a symbol of fierceness. Bears, Tigers, Bulls...You don't hear about the Dallas Teletubbies or the Charlotte Butterflies or the Minnesota Minnows. Blackhawks and Indians used as mascots is a compliment, not something to cry about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post

This is why political correctness is dangerous. Or lets call it treating other people with respect.

It hides under the guise of doing so. I mean, can you have anything against treating people with respect?

The problem is moderation. Just like pride, a good strong feeling that is positive. Self confidence and charisma can spring from it. But in too large amounts? Arrogance and cruelty are born.

Same thing here. Too much respect will lead to making every subject a "holy cow" that must not be mistreated or wronged upon, because that could potentially offend someone, and thus be disrespectful. Suddenly you cannot talk about problematic social problems in your society, in fear of being labeled a racist or rude person. Now your society will be crippled to handle any crisis springing from this, or in worst case, create a slow growing problem that will not be too obvious, but disastrous in the long run.

I dont want a society where people are afraid of talking about difficult and problematic subjects. There must always be a thought as to make the message as objective and respectful as possible, but getting out the message and discussing it is the alfa omega. But that is just me.
    Last edited by mmoc8c93e36b48; 2016-09-02 at 10:51 PM.

I kinda doubt it'll ever completely fade away. the younger generation has embraced it and the older generations can only really hang on for as long as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What does the ability to use photoshop matter? Realism existed long before photoshop.
    Sure it did, but the cartoony look of mascots from the old days was the style in which things were drawn.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I don't think it'll ever end, mostly because too many people confuse "Political correctness" with "Basic human decency".

It's usually that category that complains about political correctness being a problem.

Culture change, OP. What you are (foolishly) lumping all together as a 'fad' is a change in Western culture.

We will never have a more coarse culture than now.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-09-02 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Do you have a specific critique of political correctness you want to point that finger at, or are you just watching too much South Park and confusing PC Principal for a person, rather than a satire.

Blackhawks / Indians are offensive because, when most other teams are using animals - you're using a minority - which equates them with animals / sub-human. You create mascots and imagery that reduce them into cartoon caricatures: <snip Indians logo>
    I don't find that any more offensive than these:

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Culture change, OP. What you are (foolishly) lumping all together as a 'fad' is a change in Western culture.

We will never have a more coarse culture than now.
    your icon might be considered offensive..you get what i'm saying?

People who complain about being PC are just assholes who are pissed off that other people don't think it is okay to be an asshole and the asshole is mad that they can't be an asshole like they want to be.

It is also the mating call of the alt-right racist homophobe.

Wow. This was an interesting perspective from the OP. Every other day I think to myself "how long will this anti-PC shit last"? And you enter opposite land and turn it all around. Very interesting indeed. Anti-PC is just a word people use to excuse their racist, bigoted, generalizing or stereotyping statements - as they keep telling themselves that they are saying what Everyone is thinking but won't say because of this fantasy "oppression" that some invisible hand has extended over society at large, when the actual truth is that there is no such oppression and no such invisible hand. Year after year after year for a large chunk of the 21st century people keep saying things, only to in the same breath complain that they can't say what they just said. How long can they keep this charade up before even some of their sympathizers call bullshit? It's getting really old, really fast. The reason why some people don't say these anti-PC things is because Everyone isn't thinking the same as you; many people do not think along racist, bigoted, generalizing or stereotyping lines.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    People who complain about being PC are just assholes who are pissed off that other people don't think it is okay to be an asshole and the asshole is mad that they can't be an asshole like they want to be.

Yep, thread done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    What? Jokes about republicans, hicks, hill billies, rednecks, conservatives, christians, whites, men (when all of those) are all fair game and encouraged.
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2016-09-02 at 11:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I don't think anyone actually read the original post..meh

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    It's been a couple years now of this crap. I know back in my day in the early 90's, mothers around the world were upset with Marilyn Manson but that died out after a couple years I think?

I know i'm whining about whiners, but its getting kind of out of control. Kids in my city's schools can't wear chicago black hawk jerseys or cleveland indian shirts because its offensive lol.
    back in my day people who were anti-pc, were called assholes.

do you remember Beatles, Elvis, rock and roll.....dancing, shakespear, Mozart......in their time the adults had major issues with all of them.

Trust me white christians get more salty then any other group of people when it comes to being "politically incorrect" against them

Well its been around about 2-3 years now. Depending on how volatile it gets (like the recent Black Lives Matter sniper guy, or attacks on free speech) i reckon another 3-10 years.

It's already gone on too long but I imagine we have yet to see the worst. The Rutgers topic seems so extreme and outrageous.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...when-necessary

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post

I think you nearly nailed all the huffpo bullet points. Good job buddy. I think you could have gotten extra credit for bashing trump or the patriarchy tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    back in my day people who were anti-pc, were called assholes.

do you remember Beatles, Elvis, rock and roll.....dancing, shakespear, Mozart......in their time the adults had major issues with all of them.

Trust me white christians get more salty then any other group of people when it comes to being "politically incorrect" against them
    the whole Keapernick shit storm highlights it petty well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't find that any more offensive than these:

The difference being that the Fighting Irish and the Celtics were both named by Irishmen, to represent proud Irish communities.

There is a distinction between what you call yourself, and what others call you. In this case there is both a matter of consent to use the name, and intent when using the name.

Edit: And to reiterate, I did say that nobody has a right to not-be-offended, but that I think there is a legitimate argument to be made that if the intent was to offend - then it needs some redress (not monetary): to first state that wasn't, or no longer is, the intent - and secondly to find a better way to represent/include the affronted.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-09-02 at 11:27 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

PC has always been around, it'll take new initiatives but it's not going away.