Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Political Correctness isn't bad per say, just that there are people who take it too far. However recently, it seems like that applies to more and more people. College safe spaces to bring up an example.

There are two things this movement is destroying: Our ability to laugh at the shitty aspects of life, and the ability to develop a thick skin. The former I don't mind as much as the latter. I don't want the human race to turn into a bunch of pussies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    That's kinda how I feel as well. For every "PC" person there is, there's 200 Cynical jackasses bitching about how "I HATE SJWS!!!!"

And look what the idiocy has done! Hell man, people STILL think Blizzard altered the stupid "Tracer Booty" pose because of an SJW complaint, when it was them themselves who agreed with the poster that it was merely a placeholder and doesn't really match the character's personality. The original poster wasn't even insulted or angry at all - was just expressing a creative point.

Then the ANTI-PC dickwads jumped all over Blizzard and the "SJWs" for changing a stupid "Booty Pose" - and insisted that Blizzard not cave into them to realize their "artistic vision" - when it was, in fact, the Anti-PC dickwads who were PREVENTING Blizzard from expressing their artistic creativity by insisting they stay with their placeholder Widowmaker pose for her!

And you know what? none of them learned that damn lesson... hell, there's people here today who STILL have stupid Sigs and Avatars mocking so-called "SJWs" over the Booty pose... and they don't even realize how wrong they were - and that's because they DON'T want to ever be wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Donald Dump rallies say otherwise - his Rallies have clearly brought out the real racists and fearmongers who were too shy to attend clan rallies, but now feel it's OK to publically be racist. Yes, many aren't who support Donald Dump - but I suspect the number of racists to non-racists who support Dump are clearly in the minority.
    Dude Chill not everything has to be about Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Political Correctness isn't bad per say, just that there are people who take it too far. However recently, it seems like that applies to more and more people. College safe spaces to bring up an example.

There are two things this movement is destroying: Our ability to laugh at the shitty aspects of life, and the ability to develop a thick skin. The former I don't mind as much as the latter. I don't want the human race to turn into a bunch of pussies.
    I fear we may be too late.

And by the way. It's "per se". Latin for "in itself" Not trying to be a douche about. Just so you know moving forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    Dude Chill not everything has to be about Donald Trump.
    It's Mvallas, literally everything he posts is about Trump.

Seems to be a common theme with certain left leaning posters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarange View Post
    Take a stroll through youtube. The pc fad is there, right along the anti-pc one.
    No dude what are you talking about. On the internet the anti-pc crowd is like 10 times bigger. Take for example r/Kia which is ten times bigger than r/gamerghazi; it's counterpart. Even in youtube, those that oppose pc culture are ten times bigger in both terms of views and subscribers than those that support it. And frankly it's so easy to cash in with those that oppose PC, that I kinda fill bad for them
    Last edited by Bollocks; 2016-09-03 at 04:16 AM.

As far as the actual definition goes, as long as politicians can use language to affect how people think, political correctness will always be around. In terms of what the alt right calls "PC culture" that will fade as soon as they stop bitching so much about it. Nobody knew who Anita Sarkeesian was or cared about her video until people started attacking her over it, and then all of a sudden she's a nationally prominent figure.

Again, for every "PC" person posting a youtube oppinion, there's 200 ones nerdraging about the one PC Opinion video that got posted. Stop pretending they're in equal numbers... they're clearly not.
    Have you heard about the new youtube change? Thats the pc fad in full effect. Its easy to say that the other side is the majority. Take a look at a trump rally then its easy to say that theres 100´s of anti-pc "assholes" but, when in reality theres also big rallies about pc stuff going way over the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    No dude what are you talking about. On the internet the anti-pc crowd is like 10 times bigger. Take for example r/Kia which is ten times bigger than r/gamerghazi; it's counterpart. Even in youtube, those that oppose pc culture are ten times bigger in both terms of views and subscribers than those that support it. And frankly it's so easy to cash in with those that oppose PC, that I kinda fill bad for them
    Well, if the pc side was actually respectful maybe more people would be open to what they have to say. Screaming like a child in a temper tantrum is not the way to get a message out

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Do you have a specific critique of political correctness you want to point that finger at, or are you just watching too much South Park and confusing PC Principal for a person, rather than a satire.

Blackhawks / Indians are offensive because, when most other teams are using animals - you're using a minority - which equates them with animals / sub-human. You create mascots and imagery that reduce them into cartoon caricatures:

Do you understand why that is inappropriate?

I don't believe that anyone has a right to not-be-offended, but there is a legitimate argument for not needlessly denigrating people and cultures. It's one thing if it's a racist / inappropriate joke (I believe in giving great leeway to humor), it's another if it's plastered all over your city.
    its not inappropriate though, nobody gave a shit about the Indians or Redskins being offensive until white liberals got bored after Obama got elected. For the 80 years before that, nobody gave a shit. Whats offensive is thinking that changing an "offensive name" is going to somehow make up for the fact that we as a country are the physical manifestation of the destruction and near genocide of native americans.

7+ Year Old Account
    Have you heard about the new youtube change? Thats the pc fad in full effect. Its easy to say that the other side is the majority. Take a look at a trump rally then its easy to say that theres 100´s of anti-pc "assholes" but, when in reality theres also big rallies about pc stuff going way over the line.
    The youtube changes from what I've gathered are not really changes per se, just something that existed for a while and Youtube wanted to formalize it.

Well, if the pc side was actually respectful maybe more people would be open to what they have to say. Screaming like a child in a temper tantrum is not the way to get a message out
    Not really. Building an anti-pc platform is not that hard. Just go and say feminists are bad, repeat ideas that you heard from others and then start selecting whatever story that might fit into your narrative, exagerate it, pretend it's a big deal and profit. The attacks are largely the same replace racist and sexist with SJWS and that's it, you are free to bulshit all you want. I.E The girl that attempted to sue for alledgely being victim of racism, a story so insignificant that it was not published outside of a local news site, became big under those that used it to further their confirmation bias and cash in the money. At this point I'm convinced that those that are anti-pc are just looking for someone to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post

its a weapon used against white people and western culture
    it doesnt exist anywhere else in the world and isnt used to control the speech of any other people

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    No, using the Blackhawks/Indians/Braves/etc isn't reducing 'minorities' to animal status, that's just fucking stupid. The use of the symbolism in sports has always been a nod to their warrior culture.

The images are drawn cartoony because it's a holdover from how mascots and how imagery was drawn in the early days when these teams were founded, you know back when people had to actually use ink and paint to create images and things couldn't be pulled together in Photoshop or some 3D program for ultra realism.
    But what if someone who actually is Native American finds it offensive? Do you suggest the team ignore them? Should the team admit it isn't ideal, and yet the history of the team trumps their cultural concerns?

If you choose a mascot based on a group of people, and a minority to boot, you do start to trample on their culture a bit. I've heard first hand from Native Americans, who even grew up on a reservation surrounded by their tribe, that it's a struggle to maintain their culture. So these cartoon renditions of stereotype traits (like being warriors, not all tribes were) are inaccurate at best and make them a bit of a marketing joke at worst.

Maybe you're playing devil's advocate, or maybe you just REALLY disliked Yvaelle's point that the cartoony image equates them to animals, but I'm not sure there's much ground to defend these minority mascots.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I don't think it's too much to ask people to give feedback based on actual abilities/testing, not hyperbole. (Celestalon)

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    its not inappropriate though, nobody gave a shit about the Indians or Redskins being offensive until white liberals got bored after Obama got elected. For the 80 years before that, nobody gave a shit. Whats offensive is thinking that changing an "offensive name" is going to somehow make up for the fact that we as a country are the physical manifestation of the destruction and near genocide of native americans.
    If by "white liberals" you mean the NCAI, who first brought up the lawsuit in 2013. You know, the National Congress of American Indians. Yeah, totally white
    Never mind the protests in fucking 1988. No, no, it's now, and this president's fault.

Deleted
    Again, for every "PC" person posting a youtube oppinion, there's 200 ones nerdraging about the one PC Opinion video that got posted. Stop pretending they're in equal numbers... they're clearly not.
    Based on what information? You counting comments on youtube?

Also, about the tracer booty, we don't know what happened. Blizzard says they already had plans to change it anyway, but we don't know for sure. Wouldn't be the first case of damage control. All we know is the Jeff took some time to write a long post to appeal and apoligize to the complainer.

In the end, it was all blown up and no one would have caredif it just changed over night.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Look at it from the opposite angle - if whites aren't willing to make even this tiny concession to natives, then what are the chances they'll actually do anything substantive to help improve their lives today, nevermind the crimes of the past?

I think we're seeing the death throes right now, I would hope it's maybe a couple more years before we get back to a more moderate, libertarian stance.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Ummmm... first you're bemoaning politics (and somehow, the left in America) in the US for leading to an Orwellian Nightmare.... and here you're LITERALLY proposing an Orwellian Nightmare and the complete removal of all freedom on the internet!?

This is why the Alt-Repubs crack me up (and why they've destroyed the Republican party), just admit you see yourself as little dictators with superiority complexes who doesn't understand why the world goes by without saluting you and your "genious" (sp).
    I could say the same of you lefties as well. :-)

Donald Dump rallies say otherwise.
    Am I to take it that since your engaging in name calling of candidates, I can start using the term Deep Throat as a reference to the the Clintons?
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2016-09-03 at 10:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    its a weapon used against white people and western culture
    it doesnt exist anywhere else in the world and isnt used to control the speech of any other people
    I wonder if people posting "opinions" like this actually believe in this. I would hope not. But with this crowd, you never know...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    I could say the same of you lefties as well. :-)
    Arguably the supposed "alt right" bears the closest resemblance to a genuine left wing movement of any group active these days, especially since most of the anti-PC crowd would be happy to take handouts for themselves as long as they're not also being offered to dirty foreign bastards. True leftists were never really all that sensitive to race or gender issues, especially since most of the time ethnic minorities tended to be seen as too backward and prone to cling to outdated traditions rather than getting with the revolutionary program. The lip service and subsequent subjugation of countless peoples in the USSR and China should be ample evidence of how much connection there is between Marxism and political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Do you have a specific critique of political correctness you want to point that finger at, or are you just watching too much South Park and confusing PC Principal for a person, rather than a satire.

Blackhawks / Indians are offensive because, when most other teams are using animals - you're using a minority - which equates them with animals / sub-human. You create mascots and imagery that reduce them into cartoon caricatures:

Do you understand why that is inappropriate?

I don't believe that anyone has a right to not-be-offended, but there is a legitimate argument for not needlessly denigrating people and cultures. It's one thing if it's a racist / inappropriate joke (I believe in giving great leeway to humor), it's another if it's plastered all over your city.
    Well, so people like you are the main racists, because they consider minorities as sub-humans always when possible?

If there's a "cat" team, they have a cat. If there's a "wolf" team, they have a wolf, and when there's an "indian" team, they can't have indians, because PC police is crying in corners because they're offended?

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Coddling people to the point of them being permanent victims is not treating them with respect. If anything, it's disrespectful. It's disrespectful to themselves for anyone to feel that they can't be told anything or have anything said about them or else they might melt. You're simply setting them up for failure, teaching them to be fragile.

Comedy, even harsh comedy can be healthy for relations. Relations are better when people aren't walking on egg shells just to get along. People have the power to not be offended by everything, because not everything that falls under "PC" is malicious.

Beyond that, PC also spills over into non-harsh things, like statistics, patters and expectations. To get to the point that you can't made any judgements based on sight, past experience or logic is to start to devolve into a lesser animal. We have brains to use them, not be afraid of hurting other peoples' feelings by using them. No person living in a rough neighborhood should ever feel victimized because a passer-through feels the need to be on guard. But the reality is, that's not an okay thing to admit.

Ironically, people spin things into a race problem, when more often than not, it's a class issue. Inner cities or bum-fuck-nowhere with a bunch of hillbillies and rednecks, doesn't really matter. People tend to be more cautious of people who have less in life because they tend to be more desperate on average, in terms of random attacks/etc on other people. I guess the difference is, inner cities are more populated and compact, so the chances for runnins are worse, but they're essentially the same situation. I digress, to say run-down or shady people don't make you weary, then you're a liar.

And one final point, to say that you don't feel a higher level of discomfort around male strangers than female strangers would also likely make you a liar, so I guess stop being sexist??? (Or you know- males commit a majority of the crimes, so it's probably justified.)

A bit of a word salad for you, too early to structure it good enough to be internet-worthy, but I think you'll get my point. "We're not all the same" doesn't throw logic out the window. Sometimes it's worth being more weary of something because logic suggests risk are higher. The chance of getting hit is far less on the sidewalk than on the road, so we take the sidewalk. Something has to click... somewhere...

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as "political correctness", what you have is people being offended that they get called out for being insensitive asshats. Showing some respect towards other cultures is never a bad thing. Of course you will have people capitalizing on it, but that indicate a problem with those who do so, not with common courtesy.

Also, when it comes to sportsteams, there's a pretty big difference between positive and negative stereotypes. "Indian" isn't just a term that carries a long history of negativity, it is also blatantly wrong. You're not an indian unless you are from India. "Viking" on the other hand, carries positive connotations of strength and bravery, and "Fighting Irish", well, I would say it also is more a positive than negative.

Finally, people being offended over people being offended is a delicious irony.