Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Damn, we're still talking about this?

He has a right to express himself, as does everyone else, including people who are criticizing him and boycotting the 49ers.

As far as he goes, do that shit on your time. When you're wearing a uniform, you're representing more than yourself. Not everyone in that uniform agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    According to ESPN, the union sent a letter to the 49ers saying that the Santa Clara police have refused to work their home games unless something is done about Kaepernick and his comments about police brutality and his socks.

Would post the link but my phone is being dumb. It's on the front page now though.
    They think he was talking just about police brutality, when that isn't the case at all. The Santa Clara police are ignorant as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    The police are hired as security and are technically off duty when working private events. Or that's how it works at stadiums here. If they don't wish to work the event, they have a right not to. I'm sure some officer would take the money over the hurt feelings though. Problem is they are in a union , may cause things to get ugly if some try too.
    Hiding behind technicalities doesn't exactly put the police on the moral high ground here, the fact of the matter is that they are willing to put tens of thousands of people in danger just because someone wore socks that they didn't like, and not even during a game, but practice!

Seriously, the police have been mocked, ridiculed, and caricatured for as long as anyone can remember, but as much as they might dislike what the public says about them, they still have a duty to protect and serve that same public. This is just what being a professional entails, and what largely separates our police from truly sadistic individuals patrolling the streets of third world dictatorships.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Hiding behind technicalities doesn't exactly put the police on the moral high ground here, the fact of the matter is that they are willing to put tens of thousands of people in danger just because someone wore socks that they didn't like, and not even during a game, but practice!

Seriously, the police have been mocked, ridiculed, and caricatured for as long as anyone can remember, but as much as they might dislike what the public says about them, they still have a duty to protect and serve that same public. This is just what being a professional entails, and what largely separates our police from truly sadistic individuals patrolling the streets of third world dictatorships.
    I wouldn't be talking moral high ground with the guy who wears pig cop socks like he's one of the idiots in went to high school with.

And I guess Kaepernick is a piece of shit hiding behind the technicality that let's him do this without punishment. Good to see the people who said non-violent protest was good loose it when cops non-violently protest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My wager would be that the league would start fining people or otherwise take action. The NFL is ultimately a product where branding matters. Having a significant chunk of the extremely wealthy young black men that they employ telling the customer base that the country's bad and racist because it oppresses young black men is not a great look from a marketing standpoint.
    From a marketing standpoint, forcing a person to end his harmless protest looks even worse. Especially when a sizeable proportion of your target audience may well agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I wouldn't be talking moral high ground with the guy who wears pig cop socks like he's one of the idiots in went to high school with.

And I guess Kaepernick is a piece of shit hiding behind the technicality that let's him do this without punishment. Good to see the people who said non-violent protest was good loose it when cops non-violently protest.
    What protest? He's not allowed to wear those socks during the game anyway because of the NFL's uniform regulations, so what exactly are the cops demanding him to stop doing?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fucking hillarious seeing all the people acting like a guy not standing during the national anthem or wearing protest socks is the most horrible thing in the world. And the police threatening not to protect people over it, priceless! Home of the free indeed...you'd all be happier in the USSR it seems to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    They think he was talking just about police brutality, when that isn't the case at all. The Santa Clara police are ignorant as fuck.
    He even responded saying that most cops are good cops. Ofcource the irony most people will not notice here, but saying you won't do your job if you are criticized, is the exact issue Krapernic was pointing out. Cops are not beyond reproach, they should be criticized as much as any government entity that has that much power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    What protest? He's not allowed to wear those socks during the game anyway because of the NFL's uniform regulations, so what exactly are the cops demanding him to stop doing?
    Criticizing them. They are willing to turn their backs on the public, because a fucking back up QB said something disparaging. What do people think will happen to them if a rogue cop tries to screw you?

Remember how PC police are "Orwelian" in demanding someone gets fired for saying disparaging things about race/gender/creed? The police force refusing to do their job, because a single person said something, is actually Orwelian. It's an actual government entity that has speech influence their ability to serve and protect. Unlike tumblers or twitts bitching about some asshole saying nigger, this is an actual government entity trying to block speech.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    He even responded saying that most cops are good cops. Ofcource the irony most people will not notice here, but saying you won't do your job if you are criticized, is the exact issue Krapernic was pointing out. Cops are not beyond reproach, they should be criticized as much as any government entity that has that much power.

- - - Updated - - -

Criticizing them. They are willing to turn their backs on the public, because a fucking back up QB said something disparaging. What do people think will happen to them if a rogue cop tries to screw you?

Remember how PC police are "Orwelian" in demanding someone gets fired for saying disparaging things about race/gender/creed? The police force refusing to do their job, because a single person said something, is actually Orwelian. It's an actual government entity that has speech influence their ability to serve and protect. Unlike tumblers or twitts bitching about some asshole saying nigger, this is an actual government entity trying to block speech.
    /thread
    /10
    /internet
    /achievement unlocked
    /genngreymane approved
    /hug
    /brofist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    It's fucking hillarious seeing all the people acting like a guy not standing during the national anthem or wearing protest socks is the most horrible thing in the world. And the police threatening not to protect people over it, priceless! Home of the free indeed...you'd all be happier in the USSR it seems to me!
    I heart linking this video:

https://youtu.be/Vzm7juykO7k

It's a 60 min interview with Vladimir Vysotsky, explaining his place in USSR, as a critic of government. The actual reason not mentioned for him getting away with it, is also what got him in the end. USSR was litteraly waiting for him to overdose and die at any second. Even as fucked as USSR was, his overdose death has never been questioned as foul play, as far as I am aware, because he was such drug addict... everyone expected it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

7+ Year Old Account
    Did they specifically say he should be fired? That would be anti-free expression and bad. But also, avoiding people who vilify you is the exact opposite of 1984 where he would be sought out and jailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    The Santa Clara police are ignorant as fuck.
    blanket statements make you look smart!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Did they specifically say he should be fired? That would be anti-free expression and bad. But also, avoiding people who vilify you is the exact opposite of 1984 where he would be sought out and jailed.
    They are not a private business, but a public one. You are talking about a government entity. Yeah, instead of being sought out for removal through jail, they are sought out for removal from his job. Your argument doesn't actually hinge on the fact that a government entity is reaching outside the power granted by the public, to oppose those who criticize it.

By the way, if your argument is that police is not asking for his removal explicitly, then I'm taking it as your agreement of your argument being bullshit. My point has nothing to do with the semantics of how they want to shut him up, but the fact that they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endlesswaltz View Post
    blanket statements make you look smart!
    They, as a group through a spokesman, threatened to boycott their games. That's stupid and not a blanket statement...

Fuck that loser.

They, as a group through a spokesman, threatened to boycott their games. That's stupid and not a blanket statement...
    go read the definition of a blanket statement, then reread what i quoted and tell me its not the same

the fact of it being stupid or not shouldn't have the change whether its a blanket statementor not you are just being baised which isn't very progressive btw

7+ Year Old Account
    They are not a private business, but a public one. You are talking about a government entity. Yeah, instead of being sought out for removal through jail, they are sought out for removal from his job. Your argument doesn't actually hinge on the fact that a government entity is reaching outside the power granted by the public, to oppose those who criticize it.

By the way, if your argument is that police is not asking for his removal explicitly, then I'm taking it as your agreement of your argument being bullshit. My point has nothing to do with the semantics of how they want to shut him up, but the fact that they do.
    Did they specifically ask for the "removal of his job"? I would say that is ethically wrong as it is against free expression, though they may be within their legal rights. If they are merely asking for a professional dress code(cops as pigs socks), that would be more reasonable but still optional.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-03 at 04:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and I bet if he kept his mouth shut and still had that drive from the last preseason game, he would be a staring QB as a Viking and 49rs would have a third rounder, if not better. Bradford for a first, with his albatross contract... WoW...

- - - Updated - - -

Did they specifically ask for the "removal of his job"? I would say that is ethically wrong as it is against free expression, though they may be within their legal rights. If they are merely asking for a professional dress code(cops as pigs socks), which is a common policy, that would be more reasonable but still optional.
    So, you admit your argument is bullshit? Are they aiming to shut him up? Unless your argument shifts into that area of discussion. Shifting it to be an argument of semantics in how they want to shut him up, is not something I am interested in. You conceding that a government entity, is trying to shut up and even encourage policy action, based on criticism... Is agreeing with the only point I'm making... Sorry, homy don't play emotional games of semantics...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endlesswaltz View Post
    go read the definition of a blanket statement, then reread what i quoted and tell me its not the same

the fact of it being stupid or not shouldn't have the change whether its a blanket statementor not you are just being baised which isn't very progressive btw
    He isn't calling all the police stupid, the statement was made on the behalf of the police force by the police union. I am sorry, but threatening to not do their job as government enforcement, over criticism, is fucking ludicrous. It requires not bias to be as such... Any government entity that tosses a fit over criticism, would receive far worse treatment. If Obama told everyone to stop criticizing him, or he would shut down the government, you would lose your shit. If any senator did the same, you would be flipping your shit.

7+ Year Old Account
    So, you admit your argument is bullshit? Are they aiming to shut him up? Unless your argument shifts into that area of discussion. Shifting it to be an argument of semantics in how they want to shut him up, is not something I am interested in. You conceding that a government entity, is trying to shut up and even encourage policy action, based on criticism... Is agreeing with the only point I'm making... Sorry, homy don't play emotional games of semantics...

More speech is good, less speech is bad so I dont think he should be shutup. The cops avoiding a person who vilifies them is not silencing him, he is free to say what he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    that would be more reasonable but still optional.
    I just want to focus on the silliness here. Yes, the option of shut the fuck up or we don't do our job, is the problem here.

- - - Updated - - -

More speech is good, less speech is bad so I dont think he should be shutup. The cops avoiding a person who vilifies them is not silencing him, he is free to say what he wants.
    A government entity, shunning those who criticize them, is fine with you?

Edit: See, we don't disagree on what they are doing, we disagree on the merits there of. I bet that with any other government entity, you would be saying the complete opposite.
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-09-03 at 04:49 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A government entity, shunning those who criticize them, is fine with you?
    Not entirely, they have a duty to respond to law issues no matter who or where they pertain to in their region.

I would oppose the idea that they have any pre-crime responsibilities that are not provably imminent.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-03 at 04:58 PM.