Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What am I doing wrong as Fire?

I'm just falling off EXTREMELY hard.

Here is a video I tried to make of me on a target dummy. Maybe you expert Mages can see the flaws I have and help me improve. I saw 600K on my Skadda, but as you can see I just drop hard.

Also! I got tired of fucking up the combustion rotation, so I got lazy and made a cast sequence for it. I think it works hilariously well. Or maybe I'm better off not being lazy and doing it myself so I get used to it. lol

https://www.twitch.tv/musicalbard/v/87731279
    Last edited by FrostyButt; 2016-09-05 at 03:49 PM.

First you dont have rune of power. 2nd youre activating combustion way to soon. wait for at least a proc of heating up, then cast rune of power+combustion and start your rotation.
    Last edited by andaluzium; 2016-09-05 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andaluzium View Post
    First you dont have rune of power. 2nd youre activating combustion way to soon. wait for at least a proc of heating up, then cast rune of power+combustion and start your rotation.
    I really don't like Rune of Power. I know it's good, but is that the main reason why I see such a massive drop off? How did everything else look? I will play around with Rune of Power though and see what it's like. =)

well there isnt a way around RoP as a fire mage. You get 50% dmg increase in your burst i havent watched the whole vid to be honest but the massive drop off is not Having RoP and activating combustion to early as you need to use 2 fireblasts at start to get a Pyro proc.

You definitely need RoP. Most of our damage comes from our initial burst with combustion,RoP, and the correct sequence. You want to have a heating up proc, pop RoP then combustion and continue with your opener. Also, I may be wrong but I don't think you ever just want to cast a pyro by itself unless you have to. You always want to fish with a fireball cast beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSlammu View Post
    You definitely need RoP. Most of our damage comes from our initial burst with combustion,RoP, and the correct sequence. You want to have a heating up proc, pop RoP then combustion and continue with your opener. Also, I may be wrong but I don't think you ever just want to cast a pyro by itself unless you have to. You always want to fish with a fireball cast beforehand.
    Well, I made a Stop Cast macro with my Pyroblast in case I got a instant Pyroblast proc right as I started to cast Fireball. So that's a no-no?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Well, I made a Stop Cast macro with my Pyroblast in case I got a instant Pyroblast proc right as I started to cast Fireball. So that's a no-no?
    I'm pretty sure the only time you want to cast an instant pyro by itself without a fireball cast is when you have to move. I could be feeding you the wrong info, but that's just what I've gathered as I've read. Fishing for pyro's is one of the biggest aspect of our spec and you can keep a steady stream of them coming with enough crit and casting fireball with an instant pyro followed up right behind it.

I'm pretty sure the only time you want to cast an instant pyro by itself without a fireball cast is when you have to move. I could be feeding you the wrong info, but that's just what I've gathered as I've read. Fishing for pyro's is one of the biggest aspect of our spec and you can keep a steady stream of them coming with enough crit and casting fireball with an instant pyro followed up right behind it.
    Okay.

So I played around with RoP. I guess it just takes time to get used to it, but ugh. So do I only use RoP for Combustion bursts? I see we have 2 charges of it.

Also, I still burst pretty high but dropped to around 179K.. It's better than what the video shown, but I still feel like I am doing something wrong. I'm 836 item level, is 179K sustained normal?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    ABC

Always Be Casting

your dps comes from your burst, get used to it i guess and it should get better, it depends from scenario to scenario, remember that in dung raids you need to move around ^^

Get rid of that silly castsequence macro and comprehend that fire is a purely reactive spec, you need to be able to think on your feet and adjust your opening rotation if fireball doesn't crit, otherwise you're wasting globals.
    If you want a spec that can be played with macros look elsewhere.
    Otherwise what others said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyzer View Post
    ABC

Always Be Casting
    The only exception to this rule is during combustion. Using instants to chain pyroblast. Although I'm not sure if it still is the same rule when using RoP without combustion up.

activating combustion way too soon
    According to sims, for the first combustion you want to cast rune and combust right after your precast, and follow up with a pf (and a fblast if necessary). You want to fish for the other combustions, but you dont want to delay your opener too much.

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingsage View Post
    According to sims, for the first combustion you want to cast rune and combust right after your precast, and follow up with a pf (and a fblast if necessary). You want to fish for the other combustions, but you dont want to delay your opener too much.
    So was I doing my opener correctly, minus the me not using RoP?

No. I don't carry if it makes my DPS 50x Stronger I will NOT have that monstrosity tied to my spec again. It is far and away the least fun ability Blizzard EVER put in the game and the reason I stopped playing Arcane. Being a tunnel-visioned turret glued to one spot BLOWS.
    Admittedly it's not nearly as bad as it was but it's nowhere near as fun to use, nor does it have as much in-the-world utility as Mirror Image.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    No. I don't carry if it makes my DPS 50x Stronger I will NOT have that monstrosity tied to my spec again. It is far and away the least fun ability Blizzard EVER put in the game and the reason I stopped playing Arcane. Being a tunnel-visioned turret glued to one spot BLOWS.
    Admittedly it's not nearly as bad as it was but it's nowhere near as fun to use, nor does it have as much in-the-world utility as Mirror Image.
    Then play a different class. You're going to do awful dps without rune of power on all of the mage specs, arcane and fire especially.

It only lasts 10 seconds and the actual buff area is significantly bigger than the visual. Get over it. I will admit that pre-Legion it was really tedious and annoying, but it's much better now. A lot of specs have 10 second periods where they don't want to move because they just activated a big CD. It's like saying you refuse to use Ascendance as ele shaman because you can't really move for those 15 seconds the ability is active.

Just getting into Fire Mage myself, but is this how you should be opening?

Fireball to heating up, fireball + Combustion before projectile hits + RoP + Trinkets, Pyro, FB, Pyro, FB, Pyro, Flame On +FB, Pyro, FB, Pyro, Phoenix, Pyro, Phoenix, Pyro, Phoenix, Pyro (Or as deep into that as you can go) -> Standard Pyro fishing.

To all mages, can you stop quoting Furty's fameous "fishing for pyro" thing he did put in his guide?

You're fishing for Heating Ups not hot streaks :S

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Rune of Power is mandatory as a mage, if you can't deal with it, I suggest rolling another caster because it's here to stay in this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by shadycharacter1 View Post
    Rune of Power is mandatory as a mage, if you can't deal with it, I suggest rolling another caster because it's here to stay in this expansion.
    Yeah, my Mage has been my main for 10 Years. I'll deal with being suboptimal if it means I'll be fun to play. It is the worst kind of talent, Blizzard should have been rid of it when WoD dropped.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.