Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    That is true. But businesses will routinely work out something with disgruntled customers to stop it becoming a bigger issue and generating bad press for the company. They also routinely offer settlements out of court to just move on and not damage the brand.
    Sure, and the theater did that already, these people wanted more.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I hope the lawyers who pushed the case to trial are also partially liable. I'm sure they advised their clients poorly in this matter. They should not come out ahead for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty OK with the ruling.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Making the loser pay for legal expenses is a pretty common practice. Me thinks the lawyers were just running something of a scam.

Deleted
    Hold on... so these guys decided to sue the movie theatre.... and lost?
    Whose advice were they following?
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    I hope the lawyers who pushed the case to trial are also partially liable. I'm sure they advised their clients poorly in this matter. They should not come out ahead for it.
    Yes absolutely I was thinking the very same.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, am I getting this right..

Every plaintiff but ONE wanted to take the settlement of $150000, the one who didn't lost her child and was paralyzed (ie, had nothing to lose really). Which then screwed over all of them?

Also: I love how the sentence for the gunman was life + THREE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED years..

That's kind of lame of Cinemark.

Deleted
    "I don't think we have chances, and the settlement offered looks good, do you still want to go ahead?"
    "I'll never settle, I want JUSTICE"
    "Ooook..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    "I don't think we have chances, and the settlement offered looks good, do you still want to go ahead?"
    "I'll never settle, I want JUSTICE"
    "Ooook..."
    How do you know that is what happened?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    But the fact is that when you step into a "gun free zone" you need to understand that whatever chance you originally had at being shot has now increased and there is a reasonable limit to what any venue has to do to protect you.
    fact ... please read up on the meaning of that word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Obviously theater didn't really do anything wrong. What is irritating is that these places sometimes want to see what is in your girl's purse under the guise of security, when all they really care about is protecting their revenue by ensuring they can sell you a 12 oz water battle for 4 dollars.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    In America, individuals are never responsible for their actions only private corporations are.

...and even then only when they're big enough to sue.

...oh and only when the court of public opinion agrees with the reason for suing.

These guys sued because they thought that the cinema should have had security cameras, and security guards, and so on.

But the fact is that when you step into a "gun free zone" you need to understand that whatever chance you originally had at being shot has now increased and there is a reasonable limit to what any venue has to do to protect you.

Your safety is your responsibility, not everybody elses.
    Corporations are people my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    Oh wow, am I getting this right..

Every plaintiff but ONE wanted to take the settlement of $150000, the one who didn't lost her child and was paralyzed (ie, had nothing to lose really). Which then screwed over all of them?

Also: I love how the sentence for the gunman was life + THREE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED years..
    Yup. She should be the only person to pay up. And pay the settlement for the others which was lost too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I can't imagine the theater is going to come out ahead on this. The bad press alone will damage the brand. Most people reading the headline will be emotional and feel bad for the survivors and feel hatred for a "corporation". Rational people will understand it's the cost of a failed lawsuit, but how many won't.
    Bad press? Hell I think it's great, you don't realize how much our cost go up because of stupid lawsuits like this. I worked for a company that build a certain product and a worker who used it fell out 10ft above ground hit his head on the concrete and died. Despite him not having the door closed or had his safety harness on the family sued his company and our company. The jurors said pretty much "well we know it's not your fault but we feel sorry for the family so give them 10 million dollars"

That shit destroys companies. I am all for companies paying when they are in the wrong but people these frivolous law suits need to stop. I think the lawyers should have to pay too when they take on clients like this, fuck crooked lawyers.

There might've been a fund set up to where people can donate to help out the victims, this is pretty popular in the US for famous tragedies like this. So it might not be as bad as it seems.

A theater shouldn't have to have check points at the door with metal detectors and armed security guards.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    That's kind of lame of Cinemark.
    Do you mind explaining why?

That is true. But businesses will routinely work out something with disgruntled customers to stop it becoming a bigger issue and generating bad press for the company. They also routinely offer settlements out of court to just move on and not damage the brand.
    This set a good precedent. People may sympathize with the theatre in this case, they were victims too. Nobody there would like every theatre raising prices to cover the cost of security. Bet those victims didn't think about that. They would start demanding every McDonald's and public place get armed guards too because they are agoraphobic. They forget that every place can get attacked, armed banks, marathons, malls, fast food, twin towers, airports, and private homes too.

All but one accepted the settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    It was 5200 years.

I can't imagine the theater is going to come out ahead on this. The bad press alone will damage the brand. Most people reading the headline will be emotional and feel bad for the survivors and feel hatred for a "corporation". Rational people will understand it's the cost of a failed lawsuit, but how many won't.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the theater just dropped it and ate the cost to stave off the publicity but the lawsuit was frivolous at best in terms of trying to hold them accountable for a gunman coming in and shooting people. Yes it was a tragic event but its not something a movie theater could have known would happen. Yes they could take measures I guess having metal detectors and security guards but does it really need to come to that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe neither group should have sued the other to begin with?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Maybe neither group should have sued the other to begin with?
    The theatre didn't sue them, the $700k was the consequence of them pressing forward and losing.