Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Hence why I said staff/money, I.E if you hire an IOS developer that's money/resources you can't use to hire an additional quest/dungeons/etc developer. When you hire an entire team of them that's resources that could have been an additional dungeon or other content.
    A "single guy" cant develop quest/dungeon/etc thats a job of design,coding,artist group of people not "one single guy"... On a APP they only need someone to do the buttons and "one single guy" can do the development...

It's way cheaper than doing the other stuff... Besides they already have someone on iOS development. Heck they've done apps just for blizzcon why wouldn't they make one for their biggest game...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suthi View Post
    A "single guy" cant develop quest/dungeon/etc thats a job of design,coding,artist group of people not "one single guy"
    Indeed, and if they had used the money/resources they spent on the app team then we could probably have had an extra dungeon.

A "single guy" cant develop quest/dungeon/etc thats a job of design,coding,artist group of people not "one single guy"... On a APP they only need someone to do the buttons and "one single guy" can do the development...

It's way cheaper than doing the other stuff... Besides they already have someone on iOS development. Heck they've done apps just for blizzcon why wouldn't they make one for their biggest game...
    If they want to keep people interested in WoW, they're smart to invest in apps that keep people involved even when they don't have time to sit infront of the computer. If you can progress when doing other things you want to come back and play compared to always having the feeling you've lacked too far behind to even bother

Indeed, and if they had used the money/resources they spent on the app team then we could probably have had an extra dungeon.
    That's not how it works in software development.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    On a APP they only need someone to do the buttons and "one single guy" can do the development...
    Lol, no, not a chance. This isn't some calculator app, it's on par with if not more complicated than the Paypal app or a bank's app. Do you think one guy designed those apps and their server side bit's?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    That's not how it works in software development.
    That's EXACTLY how it works, if you have X money and X resources you can only use them to hire and support so many people. If you hire/support a team to do X you cannot use those resources to hire/support a team to do Y, you have to choose.

Deleted
    People should be glad they are doing this... Its really handy to be able to do your misions when your not at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelthar View Post
    People should be glad they are doing this... Its really handy to be able to do your misions when your not at home...
    I agree, people are spoiled brats nowdays and don't appreciate anything.

Lol, no, not a chance. This isn't some calculator app, it's on par with if not more complicated than the Paypal app or a bank's app. Do you think one guy designed those apps and their server side bit's?

- - - Updated - - -

That's EXACTLY how it works, if you have X money and X resources you can only use them to hire and support so many people. If you hire/support a team to do X you cannot use those resources to hire/support a team to do Y, you have to choose.
    Nine people can't make a baby in a month. You clearly have absoletely no clue about software development.

And yes, this app can be done by a single developer if API calls are in place. Easily.

WoW ... nice.

Blizzard keeps surprising me lately. Thanks for the update.

I wish they could redo Diablo with the same enthousiasm ...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nine people can't make a baby in a month.
    That's correct, completely irrelevant but correct.

And yes, this app can be done by a single developer if API calls are in place. Easily.
    This app could be done by a single developer but it would take like a year, there's the server side stuff, designing the app itself, the integration, testing, specifying/installing/maintaining the additional hardware.

They had an entire team working on this and the resources are easily comparable ot making a dungeon or a quest chain. If you genuinely think this was done just by one dude then "You clearly have absoletely no clue about software development" :P

Deleted
    That's right... in theory.

But you don't just employ and fire employees as you see fit related to open projects.
    I'll go ahead and say these developers are probably the same ones that ported HS to mobile devices. It is not in Blizzard's interest to let these people go just because they are not needed on their initial project, for the following reasons:
    - The know-how and code should stay inhouse
    - The learning-curve (Ever heard the expression: "If you want to slow down your competition, give them your own code"?)
    - The reputation of the company (Top developers who want a stable income would never consider a firm that does it; and software companies might want to attract those)

You are viewing the situation from a strictly financial angle and as such you are right; but you should also take into consideration non-financial factors (and indirectly financial factors)

That's correct, completely irrelevant but correct.

This app could be done by a single developer but it would take like a year, there's the server side stuff, designing the app itself, the integration, testing, specifying/installing/maintaining the additional hardware.

They had an entire team working on this and the resources are easily comparable ot making a dungeon or a quest chain. If you genuinely think this was done just by one dude then "You clearly have absoletely no clue about software development" :P
    You guys think that blizzard remembered last month to do this? The app was planned way ago when they decided to use the garrison technology on the order hall.

Who kows if this was already planned for WoD but wasn't ready? when they did the implementation of the garrison technology they implemented the API calls (they have some already inplace for remote AH) so the time was minimized that way...

Regarding the app.. hey awesome app. I actually feel sorry they didnt invest more "resources" in this kind of stuff. Not everyone can be in front of the computer everyday!

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck this logic, seriously. "Oh if only they scrapped feature X and Y we'd have an entire raid tier for sure". That's not how any of this works.

Deleted
    I clearly have no idea about how software development works but I absolutely love this app. My only real problem with Legion was gating behind these missions where I have a lot of downtime while at work or with family. Now I'll be able to just get the app out, spend 3 mins on it and be absolutely cool.

The other part, about taking a sneak-peek at What new quests await me is also really nice and is not as if I needed another stim pack to get back to Broken Isles but I ain't even mad.

It's amazing.

I rather have this app than a single dungeon.

7+ Year Old Account

Great idea that should of been done sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    World of Warcraft Companion App
    • A World of Warcraft companion app is coming out Tuesday for Android and iOS!
    • You can do missions from your phone, complete them, get the loot.
    • You can see world quests, rewards, and timers on the app.
    • You can sort and filter the quests.

Cost is free. What does everyone think?
    It's great that we are getting this app but it should of come out earlier for garrison missions in Warlords.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

So by your flawless logic. If blizz hired extra 1000 devs we should have an expansion every 6 months right? You're totally clueless about how software development works in general.

is it released yet?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pmkaboo View Post
    is it released yet?
    Doesn't look like it.

Deleted
    Will this be coming to android?