Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    2500K 4.5 Ghz and a GTX 970 here. I run the game at 1080p with 100% render scale and 4x MSAA and everything else maxed out and I'd say I get 60 FPS 90% of the time, and drops to 30-45 FPS (varyingly) when there's a ton of people around/effects/just a lot of things in general. (Or in the city part of Suramar)

I'd personally say don't use Nvidia's recommended settings. Their recommended for me said to use 200% scaling and other higher end AA shit, which for a GTX 970 in the new revision of WoW is absurd.

I think it's good to try out the NVidia GeForce Gaming Experience optimizations, if for no other reason to see what it looks like. For me, it applied a custom AA setting that works really well (NVidia HBAO, something like that...). Recommend to throw away Config.wtf file if you want to remove any customizations from GeForce Gaming Experience and just try in-game settings.

FWIW, I have an i5 4690K 3.5Ghz base (oc'd to 4.6Ghz), 16GB 1600Mhz RAM, and an NVidia GTX 1060 with 6GB RAM (oc'd to 2.150Ghz gpu clock and 4.500Ghz ram clock using EVGA Precision XOC), I am optimized through GeForce Gaming Experience, and I get 50-60 FPS in Val'sharah (the most taxing zone for me so far) running 10 across the board driving 1080p resolution.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    200% render scale AND SSAA 4x + CMAA? That's excessive overkill for hardly any gains. At the least stick with something like MSAA x2 while turning MFAA on in NVIDIA Control Panel. Anything more than that won't be very noticeable especially if you're using 200% render scale. I'd also turn down that render scale while you're at it, but if it's still making no shifts in FPS with it on or off after dialing down the AA then it's completely up to you. If both have been lowered and the frames still aren't better, download and run DDU to do a clean wipe of your drivers.

Overclocking your 2500K to 4.2Ghz-4.5Ghz would also provide a huge benefit regardless if there's an actual issue going on. Easy to achieve as well.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Deleted
    SSAA 2x is 20 fps for me vs 250fps with MSAA 2x, maybe that's the cause.

I can run the game at max setting with a 650ti boost at 60 frames a sec... why because this game is all about the CPU i am running it off a 6700k i7

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You have a weak processor. WoW is heavily CPU dependent, specifically single core performance. If you want to get any benefit from your GTX 1070 you need to overclock or upgrade.
    Weak? No. The 2500k has aged VERY well and while WoW is very CPU dependent, it's not making use of any of the new features, and it would only be the raw compute power offered by a 6600k that would make it better than a stock clock 2500k. I have my 2500k running @ 4.5ghz and it's fine with a 1070.

You're not alone. Many in the bnet forums are stating the same with 1070s-1080s and high end CPUs, and still getting ~30-40 fps in Legion. They also report little to no difference in the upgrade from 750s, 960s and the like; so chances are it's an optomization issue. Can't say I'm suprised tbh.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    Weak? No. The 2500k has aged VERY well and while WoW is very CPU dependent, it's not making use of any of the new features, and it would only be the raw compute power offered by a 6600k that would make it better than a stock clock 2500k. I have my 2500k running @ 4.5ghz and it's fine with a 1070.
    It is stock clock.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I get weird fps too. I think it has to do with what hz. your monitor is at.

I run on a 144hz monitor and everything is beautiful in Fullscreen, but kinda lame in window/borderless. Not sure if it's fps lag or simply the change in Hz., though.

It sucks that WOW doesn't have the option to run borderless in 144hz.
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

I'm having insanely poor performance on my 1080 too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post

I run on a 144hz monitor and everything is beautiful in Fullscreen, but kinda lame in window/borderless. Not sure if it's fps lag or simply the change in Hz., though.

Doesn't it run naturally at 144hz borderless? I thought it just set the frame rate to whatever your desktop is displaying at if borderless is enabled.

Edit: I know under "Frame Rate" the option is greyed out and set to 50-60HZ while playing on borderless, just assuming it does what other games does and matches Windows settings. I'm on a 144HZ monitor and it feels smooth af on borderless so

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is stock clock.
    It's really not. It's a very strong CPU on its own. It only seems weak because it can easily be overclocked for 30+% more performance without much effort at all. It's perfectly capable of WoW either way. You obviously wouldn't buy it over a new gen i5, but there's little reason to upgrade one for gaming alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ralikon View Post

This just isn't true. Borderless window by nature reflects the refresh rate set in windows. This is why you can't choose it it in game after switching to borderless window. WoW certainly does benefit from 144hz in borderless window. The struggle is maintaining frames high enough to see that benefit in many situations within WoW.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    Make sure to get Drivers from MANUFACTURER [ASUS Website]
    Why does everyone seem to be ignoring this? You can go on all day about configuring the game to increase FPS, but this is by far and above the most logical cause of his issues when he only started seeing the hit after reinstalling windows. Come on people! A significant majority of the time, FPS hits come from outdated drivers.

OP:
    - Download and install Mobo updates from your manufacturer's website (if Asus this is very straight forward). Make sure to update BIOS whilst you're at it if you've not done that already. If you're OCing, make sure to save your profile first!
    - Force the download of the latest version of windows (the anniversary update - version 1607). If you don't do this, you won't have the most up to date Nvidia driver which has the optimisations for legion (you say you have this already, so I'm assuming you have the anniversary update? You'll know because the applications will permanently appear in start menu). If you go into Windows Update on Win 10, there should be a button for more info about updates or something, and you'll see the download choice for the annual update there.
    - Check your power settings. Sometimes a reformat can default these to sub-optimal. Most gamers prefer to set the GPU to run on high performance all the time rather than in a power saving mode.

BTW - Good move to reformat, completely wiping those pesky AMD drivers will save you headaches later.

Hope this helps buddy!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Truecalling View Post
    Why does everyone seem to be ignoring this? You can go on all day about configuring the game to increase FPS, but this is by far and above the most logical cause of his issues when he only started seeing the hit after reinstalling windows. Come on people! A significant majority of the time, FPS hits come from outdated drivers.
    Because Windows 10 has gotten pretty damn good at installing the necessary motherboard drivers without needing to go to the website for the average users. Even if there was a problem with those, they would more likely than not cause certain things not to work rather than low fps in games. He's got two potential issues going on and both have been suggested multiple times.

A) Clean install of GPU drivers using DDU

B) Cranking down SSAA x4 + CMAA with 200% Render Scale.

Those are more likely the two issues at hand. Even if suggestion B isn't the direct cause, even after doing a clean install of his GPU drivers the AA and Render Scale he chose is still going to tank the fps in busy areas if not any zone.

OP hasn't responded back in days which means either he's a really busy guy or the problems been fixed likely from the suggestions mentioned and he just never bothered letting anyone know.

Also, you don't need to reformat to get rid of old AMD drivers. DDU will do that just fine as will AMD's own software.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Because Windows 10 has gotten pretty damn good at installing the necessary motherboard drivers without needing to go to the website for the average users. Even if there was a problem with those, they would more likely than not cause certain things not to work rather than low fps in games. He's got two potential issues going on and both have been suggested multiple times.

A) Clean install of GPU drivers using DDU

B) Cranking down SSAA x4 + CMAA with 200% Render Scale.

Those are more likely the two issues at hand. Even if suggestion B isn't the direct cause, even after doing a clean install of his GPU drivers the AA and Render Scale he chose is still going to tank the fps in busy areas if not any zone.

OP hasn't responded back in days which means either he's a really busy guy or the problems been fixed likely from the suggestions mentioned and he just never bothered letting anyone know.

Also, you don't need to reformat to get rid of old AMD drivers. DDU will do that just fine as will AMD's own software.
    That is pretty funny, that you'd trust Windows to install your motherboard drivers for you. No substitute for going direct to the manufacturer's site.
    Clean install of drivers is fine, but if he's literally just installed them fresh it's unlikely to make any difference (but worth checking).
    GeForce Experience is pretty good at confirming the right settings for configuration. I have a similar setup to OP and running higher settings with no problems. Don't think it's a hardware issue tbh but slim chance of CPU bottleneck with his settings.

You don't *need* to reformat, but why the hell not? It's very simple with Win10, and if you're installing new hardware it's nearly always a good idea. You think of just GPU drivers, but look at the bigger picture. Software often stores settings based on hardware config (including the OS!) so a clean OS install will get rid of that unseen junk that DDU won't remove. You can go to town with cleaning software and not get everything, or you can just reformat

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is pretty funny, that you'd trust Windows to install your motherboard drivers for you. No substitute for going direct to the manufacturer's site.
    I never said I don't go to the source. I said Windows 10 has gotten very good about installing appropriate motherboard drivers without then need to go to the website for the average user. That statement isn't wrong. I take the extra step because I'm thorough, but that doesn't mean I couldn't install Windows 10 and have no problems with my drivers without going to gigabyte's website because in fact I wouldn't have any issues with it at all. Honestly you could usually even pass up on going to your GPU manufacturers website, but you just might not get the latest and greatest depending on how long that version has been released as GPU drivers are available in the Windows Update section as soon as Windows 10 boots for the first time.

The problem with OP isn't his motherboard drivers. You were right to suggest the maximum performance setting though as it can occasionally cause the issues and it's an easy troubleshooting step to take, but it's almost definitely a mixture of his settings and corrupted GPU drivers. I've seen the same exact problem time and time again. Nothing about the issue suggests motherboard drivers.

Clean install of drivers is fine, but if he's literally just installed them fresh it's unlikely to make any difference (but worth checking).
    GPU drivers can easily be corrupted during first installation. Happened to me during my most recent Windows installation, for example. DDU and a few minutes later problem solved.

You don't *need* to reformat, but why the hell not? It's very simple with Win10, and if you're installing new hardware it's nearly always a good idea. You think of just GPU drivers, but look at the bigger picture. Software often stores settings based on hardware config (including the OS!) so a clean OS install will get rid of that unseen junk that DDU won't remove. You can go to town with cleaning software and not get everything, or you can just reformat
    Because not everyone keeps literally nothing installed and not everyone has the time or patience to get everything back just because they made a simple change or have an easy to fix problem? I do clean installs pretty frequently (every 6 months roughly during major OS updates for example), but I don't expect everyone else to do the same. Again, I'm thorough. Despite having 2-3TB of games, software, and files that has to be shifted around and recovered I have the patience to deal with. Not everyone does and that's ok. Swapping out a motherboard is one thing and changing GPUs is another. A new GPU is a simple DDU process to handle and doesn't need anything additional. Hell depending on the GPU you're swapping to it's even possible to swap out without needing to reinstall drivers although I'd always recommend doing so. Reformatting is a good way to fix issues that you can't resolve yourself or to avoid potential issues during OS upgrades, but it's not necessary in the least bit for majority of situations.

Deleted
    Change MSAA to 8x8 in advanced and change the render scale to 100% and see whether that improves anything

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    It's really not. It's a very strong CPU on its own. It only seems weak because it can easily be overclocked for 30+% more performance without much effort at all. It's perfectly capable of WoW either way. You obviously wouldn't buy it over a new gen i5, but there's little reason to upgrade one for gaming alone.
    It's only relevant right now because of how well it overclocks compared to most of the later releases. It's garbage when not overclocked. Also, gaming is the primary reason people upgrade, it's also the primary reason they buy high end hardware in the first place.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

You could have a liquid nitrogen-cooled CPU at 8 GHz and people will still robotically reply with, "WoW is a CPU bound game" when you can't peg 60 fps.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's only relevant right now because of how well it overclocks compared to most of the later releases. It's garbage when not overclocked. Also, gaming is the primary reason people upgrade, it's also the primary reason they buy high end hardware in the first place.
    No, it's relevant now because Intel hasn't made much advancement in their CPUs over the last 6 years. Every generation has minimal gains in IPC. It's far from garbage even at stock clocks considering it launched 5 1/2 years ago and competes with the latest i3s. Only difference is yes the 2500K runs cool enough and is easy enough to overclock that it can be done so to still compete with current gen i5s after overclocking it a decent amount.

It's not like anyone here is advising someone to pick a 2500K over a 6600K when buying a new CPU, but if you already have a 2500K there isn't a reason to upgrade it for gaming because there really isn't much of a difference. To believe that the 2500K is garbage even by today's standard would make you extremely misinformed and no one here is going to take you serious on that comment. I still keep my 2500K in my second rig because it's so good that I didn't want to give it up and it can handle literally anything I still throw it. There are also plenty of people on these forums that still have them in their main rig because again, there isn't much need to replace it for gaming especially considering the costs of buying a new CPU and motherboard or even new RAM. The only reason why it's in a second rig instead of main rig now is because I wanted the extra threads from the i7. Had nothing to do with the 2500K job as an i5 CPU. It handled it's purpose well when I bought it 5 years ago and still handles it today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    You could have a liquid nitrogen-cooled CPU at 8 GHz and people will still robotically reply with, "WoW is a CPU bound game" when you can't peg 60 fps.
    I mean it is a CPU bound game and most people don't realize that, but you obviously aren't reading most of these posts since you can't seem to see the several posts suggesting that the GPU drivers might be corrupt or that the AA and render scale are set obnoxiously high. My 980ti doesn't come anywhere close to being fully utilized by the game but yet even with a 4790K I still can't see 60fps minumum everywhere.