Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That is not how it works though. The comparison to actual pre-CR segregation is a false equivalency.
    Not if you're looking at it from a mechanics perspective. It's still holding a space specifically for people from one race while disallowing any other races.

If you're looking at if from a social power perspective it may be different, but that doesn't make it not segregation, and not ultimately bad for society.

Note for those jumping into the middle of the conversation: I'm aware that's not what's happening in this case. This is based on a hypothetical at this point.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    So they are all fully inclusive dorms of any race? Then whats the purpose of this thread?
    Poor reporting to gin up faux outrage over something that doesn't exist. It's rather common these days given the poor standards in journalism now.

The real story, as you indicate, is a real non issue and thus won't generate traffic to make the news outlet money.

As for MMO-C -- well...people like to get outraged over anything really. Take a look at the thread about putting feminine hygiene products in men's bathrooms as a stellar example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Racism is alive and well, especially toward white men.
    As a white man, who escaped religious persecution, thanks to this wonderful country. I call total bullshit... You have no clue what you are talking about. I have never felt persecuted by this country for being white. You are spoiled, not persecuted...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Poor reporting to gin up faux outrage over something that doesn't exist. It's rather common these days given the poor standards in journalism now.

The real story, as you indicate, is a real non issue and thus won't generate traffic to make the news outlet money.

As for MMO-C -- well...people like to get outraged over anything really. Take a look at the thread about putting feminine hygiene products in men's bathrooms as a stellar example.
    Then what is the real story?

me: I'd like to get in.
    them: No, you're not black. Don't you get it? This is a blacks only establishment.
    me: Well I identify as black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    http://afrikanblackcoalition.org/201...ssues-demands/

The answer to many of those is either yes, or they would like to.
    This link has nothing to do with the supposed persecution of white males. Stop being lazy and man up for once, say what you want to say.
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

I like it when on this website someone makes a thread with a clickbait title not matching the content of the linked article, and everyone expresses outrage towards the claim in the title. So it is not just poor reporting, it is also poor standards among consumers who often don't even bother to read the actual report and jump to conclusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I like it when on this website someone makes a thread with a clickbait title not matching the content of the linked article, and everyone expresses outrage towards the claim in the title. So it is not just poor reporting, it is also poor standards among consumers who often don't even bother to read the actual report and jump to conclusions.
    I read the article and the OP, not sure where they differ aside from shots at the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    As a white man, who escaped religious persecution, thanks to this wonderful country. I call total bullshit... You have no clue what you are talking about. I have never felt persecuted by this country for being white. You are spoiled, not persecuted...
    I know exactly what I am talking about, and people like you are proving my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read the article and the OP, not sure where they differ aside from shots at the left.
    I'm saying in general, not necessarily about this particular thread.

I know exactly what I am talking about, and people like you are proving my point.
    Sure you do... Explain to me how I am being oppressed by racists. I'm listening!
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like how the regressive right (am I doing it right?) is wailing and crying about this.

Stomping around and saying African-American housing is akin to African-Americans not being able to sit at restaurant counters or in the front of the bus, but in reverse.

Forbid gender neutral bathrooms, it leaves you foaming at the mouth, but housing where you could visit (or spend the night), but simply can't live there offends you.

Sororities and Frats have been able to base admission on race and gender ever since their inclusion in American colleges. Where's your feigned outrage and mockery then? It can't be fair if you can't live with an African-American fraternity or sorority can it be? Wouldn't they be more of an issue than simply the housing? Nope, that doesn't fit the narrative, we'll wait until this comes along.

Do I think African-American housing is necessary? No, but the fact that the Anti-PC crowd is in an uproar and trying to even claim that this housing itself is anti-PC, is mind boggling. Way to prove PC/Anti-PC aren't 2 sides to the same coin. Some people need to find things to rage about I guess, so throw that tantrum and do the schwifty and let it all out. When you're done with your faux-anger maybe you could email the school with suggestions of a better way to assist their African-American students with cheaper housing.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2016-09-08 at 05:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    But its not 100% optional. Can a white student go to those dorms? No, they do not have that option. Do you think having white seats at the front of the bus was 100% optional too. I mean they had the option of sitting at the back of the bus. This kind of backwards thinking is why racism is still alive in this day and age.
    Huh? How does people choosing to live in a dorm and people being forced to sit in the back of the bus equate to the same thing?

Sense. Your response makes none of it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like I said, being willfully ignorant of context and history and pretending that this is the same thing is not an argument. It's a deliberate attempt to misrepresent the facts.

A disadvantaged minority seeking to segregate themselves for protection is not comparable to the advantaged majority segregating those minorities away with the explicit intent to further disadvantage them. Pretending those are the same thing is not honest.

I don't even support the actual program, as I've already said multiple times. I'm just pointing out that this isn't comparable to 20th Century segregation practices, and trying to make that comparison is dishonest.
    What exactly is their disadvantage? They can sign up for classes anonymously through the Internet, sit in a class without needing to speak to anyone or be spoken too, have their homework and tests graded anonymously by student ID number, etc. Never has there been a more level playing field than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Huh? How does people choosing to live in a dorm and people being forced to sit in the back of the bus equate to the same thing?

Sense. Your response makes none of it.
    No one was forced to the back of the bus, they could chose to be on the bus or not.

how the fuck can endus actually find a way to support this. I have a feeling he is actually just a troll that says shit to get people triggered and ban them.

This is segregation clean and simple. Harambe didn't die for this.

Sure you do... Explain to me how I am being oppressed by racists. I'm listening!
    You can dispense with acting like a child, if you want to have a serious conversation, let me know. I feel sorry for your SO if that's the way you act when you don't agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    how the fuck can endus actually find a way to support this. I have a feeling he is actually just a troll that says shit to get people triggered and ban them.

This is segregation clean and simple. Harambe didn't die for this.
    Endus believes that race/gender/sexuality are the qualities that define a person so don't expect much.

- - - Updated - - -

Then why bring it up in this particular thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    No one was forced to the back of the bus, they could chose to be on the bus or not.
    They didn't have a choice for the bus with no segregation. Here they have a choice; they don't have to live in this particular dorm section, there is plenty of other choices. Still pretty shitty, of course, but to really compare it to racial segregation in 50-s - is utterly ridiculous.

They didn't have a choice for the bus with no segregation. Here they have a choice; they don't have to live in this particular dorm section, there is plenty of other choices. Still pretty shitty, of course, but to really compare it to racial segregation in 50-s - is utterly ridiculous.
    The white people can chose to live in the black only dorm?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can dispense with acting like a child, if you want to have a serious conversation, let me know. I feel sorry for your SO if that's the way you act when you don't agree with them.
    There are statements that don't warrant a serious conversation. And if my SO regularly made such ridiculous statements, then I don't see why they would even be my SO in the first place!

- - - Updated - - -

The white people can chose to live in the black only dorm?
    No, they can choose a dorm in which there is no segregation. Black people in 50-s didn't have such a choice of a bus.