Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Resto Druid needs some help

I ran the first Mythic dungeon of my life last night. Saying I ran it is a stretch because we didn't kill a boss. I've mostly mained a Shadow Priest up to this point. I've healed some in the past, but nothing like mythic dungeons.

I was running with Cenarion Ward, SotF, Germination, & MoC.

Me - 831
    DH Tank - 828
    Mage - 841
    Warrior - 828
    Hunter - 832

I had trouble keeping DPS alive. I think they were taking dmg they shouldn't be. Maybe the tank wasn't getting aggro on the adds like he should be?

I was doing fairly well keeping the tank alive. It was the DPS that seemed to be the problem. They would take a 50% hit, I would hit them with 2 Rejuvs, then within seconds they would be dead. When there were multiple folks in this situation, I would hit them with Wild Growth.

Reviewing talents, I think I should change to Stonebark over MoC for the extra 20%.

Any thoughts, opinions based on the information I have given?

I would drop MoC for Flourish, and Cenarion Ward for Prosperity. 2 Swiftmends is great to have with SotF. But remember, 1 bad dungeon doesn't define you as a healer, as it also sounds like you had terrible DPS that wanted to faceroll mythic like they did normals and didn't move their asses out of fire.

If your dps is good they won't be taking much damage at all. Your biggest struggle should be keeping the tank alive. Tell them to stop standing on fire or glowing shit on the floor.

mostly sounds like brain dead dps. For talents your mostly fine but i would be using prosperity if your using SotF. Cenarion ward is mostly for tank healing i've found. As for your 100 talents MoC is awful. Take stonebark for 5 mans and flourish for raids imo.

I've found abundance and moment of clarity work quite well in mythics.
    Especially combined with ToL you should have enough spike healing to get the entire group up.

I personally would take take Stonebark... Even though you said you're not having tank issues. You can always throw it on the DPS. Prosperity should help too. An empowered rejuvenation is pretty strong... Or you can just go for the quick regrowth with it.

Also, swiftmend + wild growth + artifact is the easiest way to get everyone up quickly. Especially if you have rejuvenation up on targets prior. You'll get used to it more as you play. Druids are a bit different without any nuke heals, but once you get used to staying ahead of everything they're fantastic. The only real danger is falling behind in healing and not having the HPS to top everyone back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

I run with prosperity + cultivation + germination + flourish

Not at good burst as Sotf but I like the sustain and then I'm free to use back to back swiftmends to heal tank or dps if needed. Game play is also a bit easier. Just keep double rejuvs on everyone, lifebloom on the tank, efflo up and WG when needed. Rest of the time can cat dps or whatever.

Deleted
    You probably had a shitty group.

But then again maybe not. The thing is, you are saying that you throw your rejuvs after they take damage, that is not exactly right. Druid is a proactive healer not a reactive one, you should blanket your rejuvs so that when people start taking damage, they already have the heals on them. And then just add a regrowth, healing touch or wild growth depending on the amount of damage. And also have shroom up where people would stand in it.

Like others have said it sounds like your DPS were taking unnecessary damage. Don't be afraid to use tranquility I see a lot of people saving cooldowns for that perfect moment when they could have used it half a dozen times already. Also using flourish in combination with your artifact ability will quickly top a group off if you have a wild growth and blanket rejuvs out. Be liberal with your mana because you can always just drink in between packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Krucks View Post
    Be liberal with your mana because you can always just drink in between packs.
    That's my problem so far, tanks are still go go go, so I've grown to be stingy with my heals, going stonebark and keeping the tank up while dps are almost never topped off (unless melee heavy, sitting in SB Effs).
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Fully cleared all mythics (including arcway/court of stars) for 2 weeks....

I run Soul of the Forest, Spring Blossoms, Flourish with Cen Ward.. Although I just changed to Prosperity for ridiculous buffed Wild growths uptimes. Flourish affects everything including Cen Ward, Spring Blossoms(from Efflo, even if they step out of it), Life Bloom, Rejuv, regrowth, wild growth and cultivation hot if you run that talent.

You can run Inner Peace or Germination depending on your playstyle or ensuring if you want Tranq up for random big mob pulls between bosses.

Definitely sounds more of a dps // standing in shit problem though.
    Last edited by Lewlies; 2016-09-09 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    I ran the first Mythic dungeon of my life last night. Saying I ran it is a stretch because we didn't kill a boss. I've mostly mained a Shadow Priest up to this point. I've healed some in the past, but nothing like mythic dungeons.

Me - 831
    DH Tank - 828
    Mage - 841
    Warrior - 828
    Hunter - 832

I had trouble keeping DPS alive. I think they were taking dmg they shouldn't be. Maybe the tank wasn't getting aggro on the adds like he should be?

I was doing fairly well keeping the tank alive. It was the DPS that seemed to be the problem. They would take a 50% hit, I would hit them with 2 Rejuvs, then within seconds they would be dead. When there were multiple folks in this situation, I would hit them with Wild Growth.

Reviewing talents, I think I should change to Stonebark over MoC for the extra 20%.

Any thoughts, opinions based on the information I have given?
    Well, I like to do runs with recount running so when I see dps standing in stuff taking damage AND they are the lowest dps I know it's perfectly safe to let them die. I focus my healing on the tank and the dps that are contributing. There's nothing worse than wiping because you were trying to keep a dps alive that was ignoring mechanics AND doing terrible dps. Just let them go and focus your heals on the ones that are actually doing the work.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    That's my problem so far, tanks are still go go go, so I've grown to be stingy with my heals, going stonebark and keeping the tank up while dps are almost never topped off (unless melee heavy, sitting in SB Effs).
    a useful trick (if you're a member of the night elf master race) is to wait until there's 1-2 mobs left in a trash pack, throw LB/2xRejuv on the tank, then shadowmeld and drink for 5-10 seconds. You can quickly recover 20-30% of your mana bar and be on to the next trash pull.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    My tank once pulled Ularogg Cragshaper in Nelth's Lair mythic when I needed to drink because I was at 5% mana from some shenanigan pulls previously. That fight proved to have very little damage though because my DPS were hyper aware not to stand in anything, and I ended the fight at 50% mana. It also showed I was a little too gungho about healing up my DPS. Not to mention many classes have built in sustain or ways to heal themselves that won't impact their rotation much.

I love how everyone is just focusing solely on the talent choices, when this mostly sounds to be an error on his teammates rather than himself.

If you DPS is taking constant chunks of damage, they are messing up and should go back to heroics.

Mythics is 99% about execution and clearly the DPS (or tank, if mobs are running wild) were not doing their job. Legion mythics have a ton of mechanics that will make you wipe if you're careless. On top of that you have to make ample use of your utility. Stuns, Interrupts, Silences are simply must. Crowd Control is optional but a very easy way to make certain pulls save.

I've done a few mythic dungeons where I was DPSing 50% of the time, simply because people don't take damage.
    And they don't. If they move out of shit, if they interrupt casts, if they stun mobs, your job as a healer should be perfectly acceptable. The only hard times should be when you mess up (e.g. extra pull) or when a certain mechanic forces you to heal a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    Most others already commented on this.
    - CW is perfectly fine, Prosperity is an option but CW is nearly always stronger.
    - SotF is perfectly fine, try to combine it purely with WG. All 3 talents in this tier work. I prefer Cultivation for the extra mastery stack + passive HoT when most needed. A lot also like incarnation for the fact they like to have an extra strong cooldown. (Personally I think Incarnation is a bit weak since you can't make good use of the Rejuv and WG bonuses of it).
    - Germination is the only right choice for 5 mans, not even a question here.
    - MoC is the weakest in the tree. Mana is not an issue since you should be able to drink between pulls. If they don't let you, let them die.
    Ironbark is strong if you have trouble keeping tanks alive. This talent will make it much more readily available (basically every pull or every other pull) and gives 20% more healing on HoTs which is like having 2 mastery stacks extra.
    Flourish is IMO the strongest, it's very flexible. You can Flourish strong WGs and combine it well with the artifact ability (WG -> Ghanir -> Flourish = extreme high HPS). But you can also use it if a tank gets hammered to extend HoTs (make sure that includes Cenarion Ward), which allows you to spam heal with regrowth a bit more.

Sounds like they are messing up. They are either not interrupting/stunning mobs enough to make things easier; or they don't move out of shit. Tell them that if they want epeen dps meters they should go do heroics, if they want loot they should L2P.
    I can hardly imagine it's a tank issue, beyond perhaps positioning. If the tank doesn't pick up mobs, you'll be the first to know as healer :>

Try to keep at least 1 rejuv rolling on the dps, unless you're 100% sure they won't take damage. That creates a bit of a buffer so that if they DO take damage you're already 2 steps ahead.
    There are few (if not none) dungeon mechanics that will cause a DPS player to die without there being a way to avoid it. So if that is consistently happening to your DPS they are screwing up, simple as.

If they take 50% HP damage, and another 50% HP damage 10 seconds later, its your fault for not bringing them back up to health again before the next hit.
    If they take 50% HP damage, and then another 50% HP damage only a few seconds later; it's either completely their own fault or you just faced unlucky game mechanics (e.g. 3 naga throwing a spear at the same single target).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    a useful trick (if you're a member of the night elf master race) is to wait until there's 1-2 mobs left in a trash pack, throw LB/2xRejuv on the tank, then shadowmeld and drink for 5-10 seconds. You can quickly recover 20-30% of your mana bar and be on to the next trash pull.
    I can see the point for mythic+ where you want to maximize speed. And I actually agree with you.

There are things you can do as a healer to make it easy on their side too.
    If the next mob pack is close by, just toss some extra HoTs on the tank and drink as they pull; if the mob pack is far away you can get ahead little as they finish the previous group up.

It's also your responsibility to always have 1.2mil mana/20sec drinks or mage food with you.

However... with current content not being time gated. I think this is currently the best time to make tanks/dps aware that your mana can be a limitation on the pull speed. And nothing learns them to pay attention to your mana bar / party chat better than a good ol' wipe (except for you of course, as you're just chillin' with a refreshing drink).

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    CW is perfectly fine, Prosperity is an option but CW is nearly always stronger.
    Thanks for the advice, I agree with pretty much all of it except the above. Just wondering why you wouldn't rather have an extra swiftmend and just use a regrowth (for me heals for 400k and another 70k give or take some crits) where's CW only seems to heal for 305k? Also the CD is 5 seconds less.

Edit: The reason I'm asking this is because I struggle to heal some tanks when on a boss (mostly DH's tbh). I have all dots on them and stonebark has been used and they are in Efflorescence and I have used both my swiftmends. I have nothing left but healing touch which tbh is complete horse muck imo. So willing to try CW if it will help.
    Last edited by jasoncb; 2016-09-10 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaloryth View Post
    My tank once pulled Ularogg Cragshaper in Nelth's Lair mythic when I needed to drink because I was at 5% mana from some shenanigan pulls previously. That fight proved to have very little damage though because my DPS were hyper aware not to stand in anything, and I ended the fight at 50% mana. It also showed I was a little too gungho about healing up my DPS. Not to mention many classes have built in sustain or ways to heal themselves that won't impact their rotation much.
    Awhile back, my PVP guild decided to his HFC, we smashed the first few bosses on heroic and the one PVEr mentioned on Vent that he'd never seen a raid use so many defensive CDs and self heals in his life lol We may not have known the strats, but we had such good self awareness and raid awareness that the healers had very little worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncb View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I agree with pretty much all of it except the above. Just wondering why you wouldn't rather have an extra swiftmend and just use a regrowth (for me heals for 400k and another 70k give or take some crits) where's CW only seems to heal for 305k? Also the CD is 5 seconds less.

Edit: The reason I'm asking this is because I struggle to heal some tanks when on a boss (mostly DH's tbh). I have all dots on them and stonebark has been used and they are in Efflorescence and I have used both my swiftmends. I have nothing left but healing touch which tbh is complete horse muck imo. So willing to try CW if it will help.
    I would say CW and swiftmend is pretty equal in strength, so essentially you have 2 cds with 30 sec cd, which both cooldown at the same time, meaning 2 medium cds in a 30 sec window, prosperity only reduces swiftmend by 5 sec and adds a second charge, but going from 0 charges to 2 charges takes 50 seconds.

This becomes more appearant in a boss fight where having to wait 25 sec for one cd, instead of being able to rotate them.

This has been my experience with 75% of the dungeons/mythics I've run so far. Hardly have to heal the tanks but I'm constantly spamming heals because DPS seem to think they can just stand in shit on the ground and be alright. Nobody seems to interrupt anything either which is killer, especially with those adds in HoV that channel that ability than can kill a person at 100% in 3 ticks. I personally run 1/3/1/3/2/3/2 and haven't had much issue even when grouped with really bad DPS.

I've been seeing that most resto druids are using soul of the forest, a talent I haven't actually tested out yet. I just prefer incarnation because it can be pretty powerful when used with other cool downs and makes those moments when people want to stand in shit a little easier to deal with. But with so many people using soul of the forest I guess it's time to try it out.... have any of you tried both and have some feedback? I'd like to hear how they compare.