Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    I recall a friend of mine's response to his wife when she asked about neutering his dog; "Take his balls? Sure, take his eyes too, he doesn't need them."

Definitely kills of the procreative urge during mating season, and to be fair, in a lot of cases that could be a plus. Makes me itch to post that however.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    We lost our cat for nearly a month when we moved. He found us again
    This is kinda lol with the context deleted ^^

Deleted
    Hi, seen some great advice being thrown out to be honest.
    Declawing is horrible, agreed, find it sickening.
    But soft nail caps that Splenda showed are awesome, seriously.
    I've tried a lot of different scratching posts, the best ones by far in my opinion is the cardboard ones. The huge "trees" are usually expensive and sort of half used.

Saw some posts about the litter and issues around that. I've tried many different litter types and brands, I find that the crystal ones don't do much and it just gets spread around in the bathroom/area the litter box is in. (don't forget a litter carpet by/under the litter box!)

Best litter sand brand in my opinion is Ever Clean. I've got 2 cats and I honestly think one of them pees acid but the Multiple Cat one covers it very well. I recommend trying it at least, beware that the sand may be a bit dusty.

Almost forgot, saw something about wet food.
    The smell of wet food usually make me want to vomit so I put them on dry, but getting a little water fountain could be good, shouldn't be very expensive. Mine seem generally fascinated by it and preferred it over the normal water bowl. (some companies claim that it makes them drink 20% more or something, haven't bothered checking out their claims tho.)
    Last edited by mmoca1d9f7019e; 2016-09-13 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Aww thank you! Nice man, sweet cat, so far it hasn't been much of a hassle at all. Good advice regarding where the cat hangs out...he was behind the washing machine early this morning, will check behind there for sure...
    My cat will sometimes go behind the washing machine but its in like a closet and she has no way to get out once shes back there. One time I thought she took off since I couldn't find her, then I heard this meow from the closet. I had to maneuver the washing machine/dryer combo around to make a small space for her to get out.

I too inadvertently acquired a cat. I was actually looking at dogs when my grandparents ended up with a stray cat while house sitting. They travel and currently are building their house so they had no place for it.

Bought him some toys and played with him a bit this morning, he didn't seem interested in the cat toys but played a bit with the dog's tennis balls. Clearly I need to get a pen light.
    My experience with cats is that some crumpled up paper or some pens/pencils make the best toys.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    My experience with cats is that some crumpled up paper or some pens/pencils make the best toys.
    Of all the "toys" my cat likes, I had the top strip from a resealable bag of sunflower seeds -- the kind you rip off, but it has the reseal thing lower on the bag. Literally a strip of plastic. Sigh.

Clearly I need to get a pen light.
    Get one, he'll love it

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    My cat loved plastic shopping bags. She kept charging at them if they were on the floor. I think she liked the sound it makes.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2016-09-13 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Most cats are very scent-oriented. They typically pick one human as their master and that is the scent they associate with feeling safe. They like to sleep on the bed on the human they have chosen because it is strong with their scent. If you leave for an extended time, I'd leave some unwashed shirts on the bed because they will give off your scent and the cat will like that a lot.

Most cats also feel safe if they are high up like a tree branch or shelf somewhere.

Clipping their nails will make it easier to get along with them. Either learn to use clippers yourself or periodically take them to a vet for a clip.

Cats view you as their parent.

Cats are more likely to play if they hear a scratching sound similar to a mouse scurrying along a floor. So I would put a shoestring under a plastic bag and move it and theyd go nuts because of the noise. Of pick a blade of long grass with the seeds at the end and drag it along things and itll make a similar noise.

Some cats go crazy for the laser pointers. Others don't care. Never shine it in their eyes.

They like to sleep where it is warm. An electric blanket will be an instant hit.

If they want your attention, they will be sitting in YOUR usual spot. Like you come home and find it sitting on your computer chair looking back at you. It wants something really badly. Try offering food and water and see what it is.

If it wags its tail, it is annoyed. Ears forward all cute like then it is very interested and curious. Arched back and puffy tail means its defensive and scared.

Wen they get sick, they scuttle off to a strange spot and try basically to hide from everyone.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2016-09-13 at 10:06 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Things seem pretty smooth so far, used the litter box without prompting and already getting along with the dog, nose bumps within five minutes of meeting.
    Win
    Win
    Win

check up at the vets and you're golden
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Of all the "toys" my cat likes, I had the top strip from a resealable bag of sunflower seeds -- the kind you rip off, but it has the reseal thing lower on the bag. Literally a strip of plastic. Sigh.
    Mine also likes dried (uncooked) pasta. Especially the spiral kind. She'll bat those around and watch them roll forever.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Any advice/tips? Never owned a cat before.

Homeless guy living in a broken down car outside of the grocery store asked if I could take care of him for a little bit, car is along a busy street and he was worried that the cat would be hit by a car. This was a reasonable concern, considering the cat almost got hit by a car while I was standing there talking to him...one year old male, very sweet.

Did some reading up on other parts of the internet/talked to friends, bought some basics (litter box, litter, food, toy), he's been out exploring a bit today but has mostly been curled up on the bathroom counter with his blanket.

Things seem pretty smooth so far, used the litter box without prompting and already getting along with the dog, nose bumps within five minutes of meeting.
    Looks like you acquired not only a cat but a homeless friend also. Kudos to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Looks like you acquired not only a cat but a homeless friend also. Kudos to you.
    <3

Thanks, Hooked

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Win
    Win
    Win

check up at the vets and you're golden
    Yeah Amazed that things are going so smoothly, to be honest.