Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    It'll become even more of a stigma now that it's opt-out
    Its opt-out here, not in your country. and it'll be easy to opt-out by going to a government site anyway.

But I don't really see the problem with it being a stigma, it'll only mean less people opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    As long as you can easily opt out of it..
    Forcing people to be organ donor goes against religious freedom and bodily autonomy though but then again its Europe. Not sure if they have any rights there any more.
    And millions of organs going to waste goes against common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I'm not donating my organs, but I'm all for the opt-out instead of opt-in. It's simply better to not let organs go to waste if someone doesn't care either way. Myself? I care. My body is going to my family, who will use my skull as an heirloom and make their own decisions on what should be done with the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    As long as you can easily opt out of it..
    Forcing people to be organ donor goes against religious freedom and bodily autonomy though but then again its Europe. Not sure if they have any rights there any more.
    Not sure how I missed this, but thanks for the laugh.
    You Ancaps say the silliest things.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand why you even put it on your license. It should be a government database they check when you're in the hospital, not something that the doctors are like, "hey lets call the guys who do driver's licenses to get their opinion on this persons desire to not/donate their organs!" while you're freshly dead.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

While I agree with this, and think should be the norm. I understand many people who worry about the stigma, multiple religions have problems with this stuff after death, and ohhhhh look the radical left just harassing people for not wanting to give up their organs, you know their corpse, that their family would like to see put to rest, and that makes them "evil inhuman skum!"

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    If you opt out, you should be thrown at the back of the list when it comes to recieving one.
    If you opted out you shouldn't be considered eligible for reciving any sort of organ donation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I don't really understand why you even put it on your license. It should be a government database they check when you're in the hospital, not something that the doctors are like, "hey lets call the guys who do driver's licenses to get their opinion on this persons desire to not/donate their organs!" while you're freshly dead.
    Most people carry their driver's licenses with them at all times, except when they're at home. Generally if you die in a way to be eligible for donation, you'll have it on you, or in your general proximity. All they have to do is find the license, see if the words Organ Donor appear, and they're good.

Scrub Resto Druid Trying to Make a Difference

They normally don't call... they normally you know... look at your license.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopotamus View Post
    that makes them "evil inhuman skum!"
    But the thing is...IT DOES MAKE YOU EVIL INHUMAN SKUM!

You could be saving lives. You are intentionally and willingly saying... I know I could save like 10 people without lifting a finger...But fuck it! I prefer to rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Agartha View Post
    This is an insane sentiment, we are decades away from artificial organs, maybe even more. Is organ donation ideal? No, but it's all we have, and I don't think there's a damn bit of justice in letting people die in the meantime.
    They were able to grow an artificial ear on the back of a Rat almost 5-6 years ago. With technology's explosive expansion the only real limit is the funds into said research projects. Most labs would rather produce a drug or a pill for $$ than actual research.

It's in the best interest for pharmaceutical/research companies to 'near cure' a disease or a problem-not cure it-they are for profit. Once it's cured the revenue goes down-if you can 'put off' a problem and keep someone on a pill that they need to live-$$ keep coming in. Welcome to 21rst century medical field.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    If you opted out you shouldn't be considered eligible for reciving any sort of organ donation.
    Hahahahah, and the sad part is he is serious, and doesn't see how ironic that is. "Ohhhh so you have reservations about organ donorship, but need an organ? Well, sure I mean nothing wrong with having your own opinion, you can have my kidney!" Doctor, "No, he can't we wont give it to him, he is evil inhuman skum!''

15+ Year Old Account
    Most people carry their driver's licenses with them at all times, except when they're at home. Generally if you die in a way to be eligible for donation, you'll have it on you, or in your general proximity. All they have to do is find the license, see if the words Organ Donor appear, and they're good.
    They normally don't call... they normally you know... look at your license.
    That seems even dumber, what if your opinion changed since your license was updated? What if you don't have a driver's license? Or don't have it on you when you die?

It should be on your medical record.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    But the thing is...IT DOES MAKE YOU EVIL INHUMAN SKUM!

You could be saving lives. You are intentionally and willingly saying... I know I could save like 10 people...But fuck it! I prefer to rot.
    It's your body your choice, you probably also support abortion where the argument could be made you could save millions if you banned it as a form of birth control. You're not evil or inhuman for having your own spiritual beliefs and reservations.

Fundamentally, there is literally no difference between opt-out and opt-in, other than who has to do the chore of notifying government of their decision. The morality of the topic is unaffected.

That seems even dumber, what if your opinion changed since your license was updated? What if you don't have a driver's license? Or don't have it on you when you die?

For most people it is kept one your medical record, and as well most people have someone who can make that decision for you in the situation you die without the knowledge available. Parents, Spouses, people with Power of Attorney, ect.

It's your body your choice, you probably also support abortion where the argument could be made you could save millions if you banned it as a form of birth control. You're not evil or inhuman for having your own spiritual beliefs and reservations.
    Don't bring abortion into this. Apples and oranges. One is not a human life (yet) the other one is.

And yes! You are evil and inhuman if your spiritual beliefs are evil and inhuman. Or you are claiming that all spiritual beliefs are inherently good?

Like the fucks who let thier kids die because they "Don't believe in medicine".

Or like the Polygamist fucks who marry little girls of 12?

Or the assholes who commit mass suicide in the jungle, killing their own kids in the process?

Or the shitheads who fly planes into buildings and strap bombs to themselves and blow up markets?

10+ Year Old Account

If your opinion changed, you should immediately get an updated driver's license. The DMV can give you a temporary one, same day, then send you a final one later.

If you don't have a license you can also get a state ID card, which also includes the donor status. If you have neither of those, since it's an opt-in system, you need to carry around a piece of paper saying you are one, or you can sign up online and they'll send you a little card to carry around.

If you don't have it on you when you die, they either will check your medical records or the DMV database. Most doctors will ask your donor status. The other issue is that in the USA we have no medical record database or anything, so if you haven't been to that hospital before, they'll have no way of knowing your donor status outside of the DMV.

(Also, they won't really have a way to track down your DMV information or medical record without a form of ID. They'll have no real way of knowing who you are).

A final fail safe, if the information cannot be obtained, is to ask next of kin or someone with the deceased's power of attorney. This can be dicey if the person who tells you their preference did not have the right to do so.

If allll of this fails to obtain preference, they'll have no choice but to wait until the organs become ineligible for transfer, or information becomes available. This is because it's an opt-in system. Opt-out systems tend to have, included in the law, a clause that states if all reasonable routes of obtaining preference have been exhausted, then you may assume organ donation is okay.
    Last edited by Actarius; 2016-09-14 at 08:30 PM.

Scrub Resto Druid Trying to Make a Difference

Deleted
    That's interesting, usually people make a big deal about it when they find out I'm not one. Maybe it's a U.S. or California thing
    Not necessarily - but I mean, others usually won't find out unless you tell them.

I really couldn't care less what happens to my body after I'm dead.