Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

More Senior Staff Leaving

Tyson Murphy - Lead Character Artist, WoW

https://twitter.com/Tysmurph

James Waugh - Director, Story & Creative Development, Blizzard

https://twitter.com/Waughtang

I'm a "keep calm and carry on" kind of guy. I work in the industry, so I can honestly say this is still within the range of reasonable churn after the end of a major project. But I do, personally, think that this is an indicator that a lot of the oldest team members saw Legion as the "final chapter" for the original WoW project. That doesn't mean I believe Legion is the last expansion; just that it has likely been seen as a major benchmark in the Warcraft Universe. It's very common for the entire staff to get shuffled, as well as for people who've been planning to leave to do so, after the launch of a project. It has been long-confirmed that Legion was in active development since before MoP launched in September 2012, so I don't see this as a sign of any major trouble in Blizzard (either financial or managerial), but I think it's probably a sign that this will be a period of great change within the respective teams.

You managed to avoid the conspiracy forbidden thread at the very end, good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Not offending you OP but seriously, who gives a fuck? As long as they provide content to me (or the players in general), I don't give a flying fuck on who leaves and who stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    You managed to avoid the conspiracy forbidden thread at the very end, good job.
    As I said, I really don't think this is a sign of anything to fret over. I do worry about the impact of losing these awesome individuals but that would go for almost anybody at Blizzard. They do hire good crop. I think a lot of internal movement is happening too. I'm like 80% sure there's a major Diablo project in the works and it's no secret than Heroes of the Storm has under-performed and is probably heading towards maintenance mode.

and all these people we're there for WoD and WoD was fucking worthless trash.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is leaving, better cancel your subs!!!111

Times change, people move on, simple as that really.

Looking at tys facebook post, he's moving onto riot, even posted this image

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cru3YYNW8AA-23N.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Not offending you OP but seriously, who gives a fuck? As long as they provide content to me (or the players in general), I don't give a flying fuck on who leaves and who stays.
    The 10 page thread on Craig Amai's departure (which may not even be a departure from Blizzard), as well as it making front page news, implies that quite a lot of people care. Or, at least, consider this noteworthy news.

Games like WoW always need new blood. It sucks that they are leaving, but it's always cool to see what the next batch of people bring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    Games like WoW always need new blood. It sucks that they are leaving, but it's always cool to see what the next batch of people bring.
    I think this is largely true. And if people are ready to move on then they should because standing still on the development treadmill isn't healthy for themselves, the team, or the game. New challenges, new perspectives on what they have been doing, it's all fine. They will be replaced as those that have left in the past have been replaced. New team members can bring fresh ideas into the game and it seems to me that with Legion the very top of the development group has signaled that they are welcoming to different ideas.

It's fair to point out, as I've wanted to for a while now, that while the gloom-and-doomers will always be around to pronounce end times. They've been doing so for years and years now and the game has somehow managed to go on. And it will continue to go on, with or without them.

Which is as it should be.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this point in the game's life is kind of a natural milestone for many senior staff seeing major payoff for years of their effort and feeling they can move on with a legacy behind them.

Holinka's should come some time in 2025 for example.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Even the greatest job will eventually suck... Especially when other companies make better offers.

Deleted
    I can't say that they've made WoW into the game that I would have prefered, but it has been good enough to keep me playing past the first few years. New blood = a new direction? Probably not :/

Can they hire GoldenYak already then?

15+ Year Old Account
    So many people leaving o: And all to a different company (Besides Metzen maybe), so it can't be boredom that caused the move, as it's same old in the new company one way or another, most likely.

Who's next? Ion? Chilton?

I wouldn't ever leave if I worked for Blizzard D: Even if it was cleaning their toilets, lol. Their HQ is soo awesome.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post

Who's next? Ion? Chilton?
    Ion? No not soon.. He seems to still love WoW and actively loves talking -about- it.

I hope he doesn't leave.. Ion is my favorite now.

Legion is the last expansion. Get ready for Warcraft 4 boys.

People will turn anything into a doom and gloom prophecy, from about a year into WoW everyones sworn that this thing would be the absolute end.

This is worrying, but not if you consider the ups and downs WoW has had over the years with these same guys working on it. It's not one man's baby, it's a process as much as anything else.

What interests me is Blizzcon and what announcements they make. I kinda get the feeling that getting all the shit pipelined for legion was a herculean task that everyone was like "if we can do this then I may have achieved all I can here" I dunno what Riot is gonna do with all the talent they're hoarding though. Their playerbase is huge, their revenue is on point, and it all goes to a game that just adds champs, web pages and not much else.

7+ Year Old Account
    The writing is on the wall guys. Legion is the last hurrah and then it's time to pay the piper.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    and all these people we're there for WoD and WoD was fucking worthless trash.
    By that stupid logic every other expansion would probably be "fucking worthless trash" too; after all, someone who was in the WoW team for several expacs was probably there for WoD too, right?