Thread: Havoc solo?

Havoc solo?

I main a blood DK (solo questing; frost in group PvE). I haven't much played anything else since early WoD. So I'm not used to playing DPS solo.

I took my DH through the havoc artifact quest, and only died about 5 times. (Good for me, actually...) I thought it'd be fun to do DPS.

I get into Azsuna, and my first fight, against two trash mobs, I got down to about 3% health before I defeated them.

All the guides I've read are about how to meld into a group for a dungeon. Are there any guides for solo questers?

For instance, I'm assuming there's no self-healing for Havoc? (I THINK there's some for Vengeance, but I'm out of luck until level 102, unless I want to sport the 740 weapons sold by the Order Hall vendor.)

I saw the spell interrupt. And I saw the demon crowd control. (Any other form of crowd control?)

The guides I saw didn't mention much in the way of defensive cooldowns. (Maybe Darkness? But that's a 3m cooldown.)

Any help would be appreciated. I don't expect to do much with my alts (my main is taking most of my time...), but I'd like to at least get them to 110 and two golden traits...

Take Demonic Apetite. Chaos Strike is one of your most used abilities and this spews off little orbs that heal you. Yay. Use Blade Dance even in single target. It's one second of 100% dodge every usage. It'll help you survive. Pick up first blood at 102 and things get much smoother. Don't forget about Chaos Nova, Blur and Darkness. Space them out.

I'll be completely honest with you: I hated havoc leveling. It felt very squishy and not very rewarding. Make the climb to 102 and swap to vengeance. Trust me, it's very much worth it.

Funny enough, I've done almost all of the artifact obtainment quests and Havoc is the only one I've died on, yet. Though mage had a couple of close calls.

I highly suggest you level as vengeance and swap to havoc at 110/in dungeons. Save artifact power for havoc. Best of luck!

15+ Year Old Account
    Take Demonic Appetite and be sure to use Chaos Nova when ya can :3

I personally found it easier to grab a lot of mobs, FelRush through em and get em bunched up, then Stun/Fury/Eye Beam, while picking up any orbs you see. It helped a lot with survival, due to so many orbs everywhere.

As others have mentioned, demonic appetite is our general questing sustain, but theres also the whole 100% leech in demon form from Soul Rending that makes a huge difference.

Coupled with some other things, like Demonic (puts you in demon form after eye beam for 5sec) and youve got a great little sustain self-heal 45sec CD

Artifact trait that reduces eye beam CD when you consume a soul, and boom, you can now AoE the world, and as long as you're killing stuff, you can have some insane self heal continued sustain.

Even without all those traits stacking up, just soul rending makes for some silly stuff, I had to solo a heroic boss from about 25% down because everyone else died.

Edit: Its uploading/processing but heres just a quick "AoE burst for self heal soul abuse" situation -- DH AoE Withered Training
    Last edited by Rawkfist; 2016-09-18 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    I'll be completely honest with you: I hated havoc leveling. It felt very squishy and not very rewarding. Make the climb to 102 and swap to vengeance. Trust me, it's very much worth it.
    Exactly what I'm intending. :-)

I just am not sure what I'm doing to do with my pure DPS classes. (Which is NOT a topic for a DH forum, but I figure safe tossing in a disgruntled comment. :-)

Edit: Maybe I'm just not used to high-mobility classes (monks and demon hunters). I'm so used to just sitting there and whaling on the mobs, and maybe moving occasionally to get out of the bad stuff (but not so much; as a blood DK, I usually just shrug and say "okay, toss in a death strike").
    Last edited by PragmaticGamer; 2016-09-18 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    Exactly what I'm intending. :-)

I just am not sure what I'm doing to do with my pure DPS classes. (Which is NOT a topic for a DH forum, but I figure safe tossing in a disgruntled comment. :-)

Edit: Maybe I'm just not used to high-mobility classes (monks and demon hunters). I'm so used to just sitting there and whaling on the mobs, and maybe moving occasionally to get out of the bad stuff (but not so much; as a blood DK, I usually just shrug and say "okay, toss in a death strike").

I thought I'd have to do the same, as playing a lvl 100 havoc DH was an exercise in graveyard running. I was 100% havoc for leveling, and very quickly I stopped having any issues with survivability, also Vengeance has horrible single target, so you'll get bored killing a lot of the "named" targets for quests. AoE its fine, but Havoc is better for that too once you learn how to keep your sustain going.

Half the fun for me is being able to move out of the badstuff and still put out the damage, if you're wanting to just stand there, then go w/ Vengeance.

Also do not melee the mobs, while i was lvling as havoc, i did not have any issues with NPCs other than Elite group quests npc, use Fell Rush and Blade Dance on CD, also go Bloodlet and use glaives when you are out of melee range. Even though havoc is a melee spec, you should not simply melee mobs :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    Also do not melee the mobs, while i was lvling as havoc, i did not have any issues with NPCs other than Elite group quests npc, use Fell Rush and Blade Dance on CD, also go Bloodlet and use glaives when you are out of melee range. Even though havoc is a melee spec, you should not simply melee mobs :P
    What is this madness.
    OT: Seriously? Just AoE pull a bunch of things, pop fury of the illidari/bladedance, and whatever you pulled is now dead. If not, hit chaos nova+eye beam, and now it is. Everything that dies gives you like 35% of your HP back, its pretty hard to die as havoc as long as you keep actually killing things.

To be honest, i don't understand the difficulty. I hardly had any as Havoc, never switched to Vengeance. Elites are a (small and manageable) problem until 106, then with Soul Rending they become a piece of cake.

You can mass pull and completely destroy in 3 seconds every mob by using your artifact ability alone, and you have plenty of other tools (Eye Beam, Chaos Nova, Blade Dance) to dish out even more AoE damage should mobs stay alive for some reason (which can happen until you take the golden trait, Rage of the Illidari. Once you have that, everything is going to die, end of story).

It has to be a gear problem: do not take into consideration anything that has no crit on it, even while leveling. Believe me. It makes the class play out smoother.

Demonic appetite and 100% leech in meta, which you go can go into after each eye beam, is all the healing you have. It's pretty decent to be honest. Specs like windwalker have it MUCH worse in the self-healing department.

At the end of the day though, just go vengeance for soloing anything that has a remote possibility of killing you. Damage is slightly lower, but survivability is incomparably higher.