Poll: Are you tired of modern crap?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Are you tired of modern crap?

Modern living, architecture (ok, this one tops the list... it is so bad), music, behaviour of people, trends, styles... do you ever sit down in your room with a cup of coffee, think deep thoughts, and see the world as a really superficial, shallow place?

Tell me. I am curious.

Deleted
    some modern things are less superficial and stupid than you might think.

there is lots of absolutely great music if you look beside mainstream chart trash.

Nope, I'm comfortable enough with the way things are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    some modern things are less superficial and stupid than you might think.

there is lots of absolutely great music if you look beside mainstream chart trash.
    Sure, but I'm talking about the kind that occupies the media, public and private space, and so forth, the most. There is good modern stuff, of course. It is just not the kind you see the most.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Nope, I'm comfortable enough with the way things are.
    I think you should calm down.

Deleted
    Things are not that simple.

The only thing I don't care for is the more recent generation of young people being the most entitled pieces of shit I've ever seen.

When I see teenagers suing their parents over college.........I just can't.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    I think you should calm down.
    Am I not? O.o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    Am I not? O.o
    I don't think so.

I'm not sure where the hell people get the idea that things weren't superficial and hollow in some earlier time. Things have always been superficial and hollow. People complained about this nearly as far back as we have writings. There's Egyptian tablets from the Old Kingdom period complaining about how kids these days don't respect their elders and everyone is just too busy to properly appreciate the important things. In that case he meant worshiping the gods and making more kiddos, but the intention is the same. The only people who think that 'modern' living is somehow different are people who don't really know history.

Modern living, architecture (ok, this one tops the list... it is so bad), music, behaviour of people, trends, styles... do you ever sit down in your room with a cup of coffee, think deep thoughts, and see the world as a really superficial, shallow place?

Tell me. I am curious.
    No. I have shit to do, work to get done, games to play, girls to date, life to live, taxes to pay, things to learn, places to travel to.

And you are way to dense to grasp why your "olden days" sucked ass.

If you are so against modern living do us a favor, build yourself a hut in a forest, off the grid (with your own hands) and stay away from the rest of us.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-09-23 at 04:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    No. I have shit to do, work to get done, games to play, girls to date, life to live, taxes to pay, things to learn, places to travel to.

And you are way to dense to grasp why your "olden days" sucked ass.

If you are so against modern living do us a favor, build yourself a hut in a forest, off the grid (with your own hands) and stay away from the rest of us.
    The dense one must be yourself, because apparently you did not quite get the meaning of "modern" in the OP.

INfracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-09-23 at 04:11 AM.

Tell me. I am curious.
    What makes me itch even more is the trend of "Vintage" i see everywhere.

Oh, an old telephone that doesn't work, i'll buy this at a hugely inflated price so i can use it to decorate my livingroom.
    Oh, old books that i can't read? More decoration yay.

About the modern behaviour of people, trends, styles, etc.. i'm pretty sure it wasn't that different from "back then". Even Socrates used to complain about the new generations and their.... idiossincracies.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Deleted
    I live in a place which is surrounded with nature, I have mountains and hills everywhere around me, so I'm not bothered. If I want "peace from modern world" I just go and sit on my balcony and turn off my cell phone.

people, like the OP, who think that the world was so great back in the old days

are anti-intellectuals who have no grasp on history, anthropology, or what it takes to make something worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    The only thing I don't care for is the more recent generation of young people being the most entitled pieces of shit I've ever seen.

When I see teenagers suing their parents over college.........I just can't.........
    If you were to look at your parents, and their parents generations, what did they do if they weren't happy with crappy wages? Right, they were on strikes and riots until they get what they wanted. These days the wages are more garbage than their generations could have imagined, but where are all the riots against employers?

So, I'll have to ask, which generations were entitled again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If you were to look at your parents, and their parents generations, what did they do if they weren't happy with crappy wages? Right, they were on strikes and riots until they get what they wanted. These days the wages are more garbage than their generations could have imagined, but where are all the riots against employers?

So, I'll have to ask, which generations were entitled again?
    nice idea, but strikes are a result of unions.

the decline of unions in the states is why there are less strikes.
    Last edited by apples; 2016-09-20 at 11:44 AM.

It's very easy to be nostalgic, but I was a teenager in the 80s and remember the music charts being chock full of absolute shit. People only like it now because it's 'retro'.

I also remember when I couldn't do my shopping from the comfort of my sofa and have almost anything I wanted delivered to my door the next day.
    I remember when the only way I could phone someone when I was out was to find a public payphone and hope that it wasn't broken and that I had the right change in my pocket.
    I remember when I couldn't have virtually any information I wanted instantly at my fingertips.
    I remember when the only way I could discover new music was listen to the radio and hope I heard something good or visit my local record shop.

Nah, not tired of modern crap at all.

There are parts of modernity that I don't like at all. There are some cultural trends that I think are likely to be quite destructive over the next fifty years or so; the normalization of single mothers is chief among these concerns.

That said, I think people that hate modern music (really, all of it?) are just contrarian whiners.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    nice idea, but strikes are a result of unions.

the decline of unions in the states is why there are less strikes.
    That doesn't really contradict what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Feel free to invent a time machine and go back when we didn't have air conditioning, electric heating or fire escapes if you don't like modern buildings.

Go back more than 50-60 years and enjoy houses and offices that were infested with pests, poorly built, poorly insulated and in constant need of repair because shit broke constantly.

Music? You can literally listen to any music that has ever been recorded within seconds if you so desire. Every major city has jazz, classical, rock groups that perform regularly.

Behavior? I much prefer now when people will leave you and you can mind your own business. You are free to associate with whoever you want and there are hundreds of ways of meeting new people who share your interest and personality type. People have also never been less prone to aggression and anger as seen by huge declines in alcoholism and violent crime.