10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    A small adjustment to the rankings could be to still gain points (maybe not as much) even if you lose.

This won't fix situations where it feels like your team is dropping dead the moment they spawn and you end up not having a large impact because of that either.

But this will fix situations where you do make a large impact and still lose in the end. From personal experience I had matches where my self-destruct killed 4 or so people resulting us either breaking threw a choke point or holding the objective.

Another situation which sometimes shows up is me not actually dying that often (once or twice maybe) during defensive but the other side just walks without opposition to the end goal (sometimes happens other way around as well).

Overall the system is fine but a little tweaking that allows you do gain points while losing may make things a bit more enjoyable even when you lose. Having said this, their should be a strict rules on how you should get points anwyay even when you win, sometimes I see people bragging about their ''golden'' medals while totally ignoring the objectives so their overall contribution is limited at best.
    I could get behind this. I've won against teams that I felt were better than us, but it was close and hard work and in the end all red team cards, and rightfully so. I almost feel bad that they get nothing from those. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    I think the idea is that by the time we're done reporting and blocking these people, it'll feel like a ghost town. XD

Mind you in the case of the asshole I was dealing with, he left mid-competitive match last we played and I shrugged it off; though, he felt no remorse for it later when I brought it up. That being despite the left me and his friend to fend for ourselves for the rest of that game.

I just don't get people. Many of them IMHO simply don't belong gaming in a lot of cases firstly and I think that's why it's gone so downhill over the years. I remember when we were all fairly pleasant, fun-loving goofballs by and large. Now it's a bunch of edgelords and big-dicks who won't even allow a female player to earn her own way -- because hey, they're just that cool.

It's the new-age audience that developers seem to be trying to draw in and it's no better than the schoolyard jackasses that went around beating their chests and walking tall over absolutely nothing.
    I don't understand why you're getting so butthurt over a competitive game, and the toxicity of it. Is this literally your first time online? IMO the Overwatch community is tame in comparison to other competitive games I've played.
    It also helps if you don't reply, and in your example it seems like you actually instigated the conversation by disapproving what they were doing. So potentially the first thing you said in chat was of disapproval, a 'man child' went off at you, and you didn't like it.
    Forget the other guy for a minute, did anything you say improve team work or the game? Then while you might not have been considered 'toxic' it didn't really make for a better match either.

I say nothing in chat other than hi, and a reply when someone in voice says about a quick wipe we just had. So I point out they used 4 ulti's to do it, now is our chance.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-09-20 at 08:33 AM.

I don't play Overwatch every day, maybe a few time a week lately. I, personally, haven't encountered any hostile people in months. Since I only play in groups I limit my interactions with outside people to the wave emote and I need healing/shields/armor. In competitive games I will join team chat and I have been pleasantly surprised with the attitudes of my teammates. I know there are assheads out there, that's why I try and limit my interactions with them.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    I don't understand why you're getting so butthurt over a competitive game, and the toxicity of it. Is this literally your first time online? IMO the Overwatch community is tame in comparison to other competitive games I've played.
    It also helps if you don't reply, and in your example it seems like you actually instigated the conversation by disapproving what they were doing. So potentially the first thing you said in chat was of disapproval, a 'man child' went off at you, and you didn't like it.
    Forget the other guy for a minute, did anything you say improve team work or the game? Then while you might not have been considered 'toxic' it didn't really make for a better match either.

I say nothing in chat other than hi, and a reply when someone in voice says about a quick wipe we just had. So I point out they used 4 ulti's to do it, now is our chance.
    I've been playing games since Space Invaders.

I've been playing online games since Tiberian Sun, Red Alert, etc.

Online communities did not function as they do today until the last few years or so. At least, not to the varying degrees of shame that they come across now. They're arguably much more unpleasant and a lot of the products themselves draw the worst mentalities and people that would be better off sticking to being gym rats and chasing women rather than invading my pass-time.

In other words, individuals that have yet to evolve beyond the usual paradigms set forth by our cave-dwelling ancestors but would fancy themselves otherwise.

I also don't really care to play Overwatch for other reasons if you haven't noticed. That was merely the straw for me. Not going to suffer the abuse and sorry community for a game that I personally think is, 1 part good, 2 parts bad. Especially when I spent ten hours yesterday in Paladins with a friend and had loads more fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    finally got the mei cute spray!

and getting 3 assist kills as mccree apparently is more worth for a potg than a quadruple kill with blizzard next to the payload.
    ok blizz, your logic is extremely fucked up.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post

and getting 3 assist kills as mccree apparently is more worth for a potg than a quadruple kill with blizzard next to the payload.
    PotG is cancer.

Cool concept in theory, terrible in execution.

Honestly what would've been better is like several vertical slates doing several heroes' "big plays" for that match. Instead you only get that one that people masturbate furiously going after and Mercy will hold on to the revive well after they should be using it to try and get PotG.

Hell, the cards themselves are laughably bad at times. Like giving Tracer one for recalls. REALLY?! Objective time, overtime holds, ultimate combinations, etc should be cards coming up. Evidence of people actually focusing on teamwork and the game's objective itself. Instead you get stupid shit, like Tracer spamming a mechanic she should be spamming in the first place. -_-;

I'd rather there be nothing versus stupid shit like that; again, it's Blizzard trying way too hard to give everyone that figurative boner.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-09-20 at 03:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hell, the cards themselves are laughably bad at times. Like giving Tracer one for recalls. REALLY?!
    the worst are the turret kill cards....
    much skill, very hitscan aimbot, such turret, wow.
    i kinda get it for symm, but torb? fuck that.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2016-09-20 at 03:38 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

the worst are the turret kill cards....
    much skill, very hitscan aimbot, such turret, wow.
    Yah, a turret that can hit you before you can even line up your sights with it because the game's hitboxes are broken in the first place. xP

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we did 10 games playing only Mei... We didn't lose a single one.

10+ Year Old Account

"Quadruple kill" just means you tagged them before they died, it doesn't mean you contributed most of what killed them, and how much damage you dealt to them is factored in. Mei spraying frost at everyone and doing 10-20 damage and getting 4+ kills as everyone else picks off targets isn't going to be considered as highly as the McCree who High Noons three dudes from close to full health.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Quadruple kill" just means you tagged them before they died, it doesn't mean you contributed most of what killed them, and how much damage you dealt to them is factored in.
    except that i did....
    they killed half of our team before that, mercy was behind me healing our hanzo who was busy dealing with their genji while i took out the rest.
    the others were running back.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a couple of PotGs yesterday as D.Va, after the match ended and I'd just that moment charged up a self destruct. Not like I hadn't had prior triple kills, but apparently those were better. Weird though that it kind of bugs out so you don't actually see anything happening.

I've been playing games since Space Invaders.

I've been playing online games since Tiberian Sun, Red Alert, etc.

Online communities did not function as they do today until the last few years or so. At least, not to the varying degrees of shame that they come across now. They're arguably much more unpleasant and a lot of the products themselves draw the worst mentalities and people that would be better off sticking to being gym rats and chasing women rather than invading my pass-time.

In other words, individuals that have yet to evolve beyond the usual paradigms set forth by our cave-dwelling ancestors but would fancy themselves otherwise.

I also don't really care to play Overwatch for other reasons if you haven't noticed. That was merely the straw for me. Not going to suffer the abuse and sorry community for a game that I personally think is, 1 part good, 2 parts bad. Especially when I spent ten hours yesterday in Paladins with a friend and had loads more fun.
    I've been lurking a little but I had to jump in here.

What do you mean that online communities don't function the same? Are you saying they are shameful or they shame others? Online communities have doubtless changed somewhat, but largely it just depends on which communities you visit. I can't see how you support your idea that products now appeal more to people with the worst mentalities? Or draw people that go to the gym or chase women? These groups are not exclusive, and never have been. Are you implying that people who do those last two things somehow have sub-par intelligence compared to you? Because you've been playing games a long time? Hopefully you can see the problems if you follow those ideas through. And even if you were right, to imply that someone who has "not evolved beyond the usual paradigms(wtf lol)" to your satisfaction is "invading" your game? You could tone down the self-importance a little bit.

I think the Overwatch community is freaking amazing. One of the best and friendliest gaming communities I've been a part of in years. Im lvl 50 ish, have played mostly quick play and some competitive. There have been a few mildly toxic people here and there, but it is not at all the norm in my experience. The filter that Blizzard put on chat is hilarious and effective. I have to wonder if maybe you just have a slightly abrasive personality and instigate/encourage/receive more negative behavior than the average player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arinth View Post
    I think the Overwatch community is freaking amazing. One of the best and friendliest gaming communities I've been a part of in years. Im lvl 50 ish, have played mostly quick play and some competitive. There have been a few mildly toxic people here and there, but it is not at all the norm in my experience. The filter that Blizzard put on chat is hilarious and effective. I have to wonder if maybe you just have a slightly abrasive personality and instigate/encourage/receive more negative behavior than the average player.
    Maybe it's just that I've been mostly playing Competitive, but I agree in general. There are the odd asshat here and there, but there always will be; that's what the report system's for. Compare it to, say, League of Legends, where I don't think I saw a match go by without someone spamming abusive garbage, and Overwatch is WAY nicer. While you'll get people saying stuff like "could the offense swap to something that can kill a Pharah? Because she's killing your healers every time" (and that's often me), the response in my experience is "yeah, I'll go Soldier when I die" rather than "FUK U REAPER 4 LYFE FAG"

Maybe it's just that I've been mostly playing Competitive, but I agree in general. There are the odd asshat here and there, but there always will be; that's what the report system's for. Compare it to, say, League of Legends, where I don't think I saw a match go by without someone spamming abusive garbage, and Overwatch is WAY nicer. While you'll get people saying stuff like "could the offense swap to something that can kill a Pharah? Because she's killing your healers every time" (and that's often me), the response in my experience is "yeah, I'll go Soldier when I die" rather than "FUK U REAPER 4 LYFE FAG"
    I've been playing League from season 2 and have seen bronze and diamond and everything in between and the community is just miserable. So I think, coming to Overwatch, theres some element of an unfair comparison. Due to the nature of the game as well, it much easier for people to get frustrated in league, and also easier to blame. Overwatch theres generally an element of "I could have aimed better or been with my healer" that is apparent every time you die, rather than league where most people's first reaction is to shift blame. I'm not usually the one to request someone change heros, but if people aren't a dick about it people seem willing to change 90% of the time.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

7+ Year Old Account
    i got the cute d.va spray!

cute mei and d.va spray on the same day! im freaking happy!

Formerly known as Arafal

I'm around level 170 and got to 2672 in Platinum. I felt like it actually got worse the higher I climbed and the longer I played.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arinth View Post
    I've been playing League from season 2 and have seen bronze and diamond and everything in between and the community is just miserable. So I think, coming to Overwatch, theres some element of an unfair comparison. Due to the nature of the game as well, it much easier for people to get frustrated in league, and also easier to blame. Overwatch theres generally an element of "I could have aimed better or been with my healer" that is apparent every time you die, rather than league where most people's first reaction is to shift blame. I'm not usually the one to request someone change heros, but if people aren't a dick about it people seem willing to change 90% of the time.
    Played League too. Feel like there isn't much difference at the end of the day.

I mean shit, I had someone practically, literally scream at me because I refused to jump off of Junkrat for a KotH game-type despite the fact that by raw numbers and my own calculations I was by and large the determining factor in the 2 wins we managed to get - easily. There was times we held a point because I kept the enemy pinned in corridors for excessive amounts of time rather than vying for control.

All because he read on a forum somewhere that Junkrat isn't so hot -- and yeah, sort of, that's true but given situations and game-types he can do great. Wasn't like they had a Pharah and I seemed to be the only one able to counter the Tracer that was wrecking them but that didn't account for much in their eyes.

So I got to deal with that. Screaming. Abuse slinging. Until I decided to block them. Mind you I don't enjoy playing damage heroes at all. I always go Mercy, Lucio, or Reinhardt but we already had two tanks and two healers so I was trying to conform to them and I selected a hero that felt solid in my hands and for the situation ahead.

No, not allowed to do that apparently in their eyes. Shit, got screamed at one time for not "protecting the healers" even though I was fighting three of their people just a few yards away because my team thought clumping up into a pocket was a good idea while they clamped around us.

Told them I didn't appreciate their excessive bitching and the response was, "IT'S CRITICISM GTFO COMP IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THAT BRO!" -- wut, since when did criticism come in the form of not making any fucking sense(like they never recommended an alternative pick for instance) and consisted of trash-talking and screaming? They were just taking their anger out on me because things didn't go their own way. Not one complaint was levied for the two rounds we won - utter silence.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2016-09-20 at 07:53 PM.

First time I've lost more than I've won in a session since placements. 4W 5L... Gained 5 rating lol.

One of those wins was a huge turnaround.

We attacked Anubis, and just about managed to take B in overtime.
    They attacked Anubis, and ended with 6:30s remaining... WTF

We get the sympathy 1:00 extension, take A, get a further 30s extension and take B with it.
    Enemy team can't take B with their remaining time.. lol
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-09-20 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    First time I've lost more than I've won in a session since placements. 4W 5L... Gained 5 rating lol.

One of those wins was a huge turnaround.

We attacked Anubis, and just about managed to take B in overtime.
    They attacked Anubis, and ended with 6:30s remaining... WTF

We get the sympathy 1:00 extension, take A, get a further 30s extension and take B with it.
    Enemy team can't take B with their remaining time.. lol
    Not weird because with those objectives is important in how you take them.

if you can rush to B before the opponents teams re-spawn then you can end most matches quickly if lucky.

If you kill of everybody in point A and they all re-spawn before you get to B it will be more difficult

Within one match of diamond again.. Lost. So close yet so far