Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    This is a very bad problem in Vancouver. It's a place where you can be asked to pay $1400 in rent, while demanding your tenant not cook much and work 12+ hours a day. No pets, no friends while enjoying the sound of a 3year old running around. No laundry or parking, because 0.6% vacancy.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/618049/van...s-to-ban-pets/

Was this ever passed? Personally I think it should be illegal to ban pets. They are a part of the family. Also they can be as noisy/messy as children and you can't ban those.

This is a very bad problem in Vancouver. It's a place where you can be asked to pay $1400 in rent, while demanding your tenant not cook much and work 12+ hours a day. No pets, no friends while enjoying the sound of a 3year old running around. No laundry or parking, because 0.6% vacancy.
    Oh yeah, cause all the rich Chinese are buying up the place? I read about it somewhere. If China ever slips into chaos all these Chinese will flee to Canada and ride it out. Meanwhile they are buying up all the real estate.

If you have a $1 million in cash it's easy to become a Canadian citizen.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2016-09-25 at 01:47 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

Was this ever passed? Personally I think it should be illegal to ban pets. They are a part of the family. Also they can be as noisy/messy as children and you can't ban those.
    lol, no. We had the hardest time finding a place who would rent to us since we had a large dog. In Ontario it's illegal, but in BC it's just another reason for everyone to move away. People are moving to the suburbs, and now people can't even afford to live there.

When I was trying to find a new place, we were fighting against 200+ applicants. We offered 200-300 more monthly and we still got no's. A ban on prohibiting pets is pretty laughable at this point.

edit: yea China. While is now suing the government for the 15% foreign owners tax.

Deleted
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that a major part of my income comes from rent, I wouldn't bother either. The law is getting more and more protective of tenants (at least where I live), and makes it increasingly difficult to get them out again even if they misbehave.

People like OP's friend (potentially) are the very reason why the problem with empty apartments even exists in this dimension. It's just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that a big part of my income comes from rent, I wouldn't bother either. The law is getting more and more protective of tenants (at least where I live), and makes it increasingly difficult to get them out again even if they misbehave.

People like OP's friend (potentially) are the very reason why the problem with empty apartments even exists in this dimension. It's just not worth it.
    Well try very hard to be good responsible tenants. But as soon as we utter the words 'dog', it was almost always no. When we moved the dog started crying daily, sor I started staying home every day all day until he calmed down. He's fine now, but we felt so awful since we said he was super quiet. Luckily our neighbours understood that it was scary for him.

lol, no. We had the hardest time finding a place who would rent to us since we had a large dog. In Ontario it's illegal, but in BC it's just another reason for everyone to move away. People are moving to the suburbs, and now people can't even afford to live there.

When I was trying to find a new place, we were fighting against 200+ applicants. We offered 200-300 more monthly and we still got no's. A ban on prohibiting pets is pretty laughable at this point.

edit: yea China. While is now suing the government for the 15% foreign owners tax.
    It's not worth it. I'm getting a good deal right now in Portland, we have a 3% vacancy rate, but I'm definitely moving out when my lease is up, unless a miracle occurs and I find someplace amazing close in. My experience with expensive and popular areas is that they are completely overrated and not worth the increased cost, although living within walking distance to work is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Speaking as a landlady myself: I wouldn't go as far, most people still seem to have some basic decency when it comes to such things.
    That said: Risks like those are the reason why less and less people are actually renting out their spare apartments to others nowadays, when it is much easier/safe to just leave them empty - unless you really need the rent.
    You might know better than I about this. But I've heard that HUD is seeking to make significant growths to its powers of being able to command that unoccupied properties be committed to S8 and alike programs regardless of the owners wishes.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

So, I don't buy into the idea that it's going to cost 70k to move his equipment, but your friend of a friend shouldn't be an asshole to his landlord. He made a dumb decision to invest money into a rental. Live and learn.

It's not worth it. I'm getting a good deal right now in Portland, we have a 3% vacancy rate, but I'm definitely moving out when my lease is up, unless a miracle occurs and I find someplace amazing close in. My experience with expensive and popular areas is that they are completely overrated and not worth the increased cost, although living within walking distance to work is nice.
    The problem is I'm not even in Vancouver, I'm in the car theft capital of Canada. I'm a bus and train ride away from Vancouver (thanks, skytrain) It takes me roughly 60 minutes to get downtown, but i happened to luck out on a major bus route that takes me to the train. Ugh, 6.00 daily if I were to cross the Port Mann bridge to get there.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2016-09-25 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Oh yeah, cause all the rich Chinese are buying up the place?
    LOL. Wanna wager a guess as to how much of the US is owned by the Chinese?

True story, a friend of mine was in Dubai and walked past an investors' meeting for Portland, Oregon real estate. Mostly Japanese businessmen were in attendance.

In my opinion, it should be 100% illegal for anyone who is not a legal citizen to buy and manage real estate in a given country. Real estate is finite.

Deleted
    Well try very hard to be good responsible tenants. But as soon as we utter the words 'dog', it was almost always no. When we moved the dog started crying daily, sor I started staying home every day all day until he calmed down. He's fine now, but we felt so awful since we said he was super quiet. Luckily our neighbours understood that it was scary for him.
    I don't like the general "no dogs" or even "no pets" rule either. Pets are, as you said, a part of your family, and no one can/should be expected to just leave them behind/give them away. :/

Aww, poor baby. Honestly I am worried about the same thing. I am not in a position quite yet to afford real estate (well...okay I can, but I don't want to, if I end up moving within 1-2 years then I will take a loss), and I have a dog and now a cat. Blah.

Personally I'm OK with living in Bumfuck, PacNW if it means I get to keep my pets. Hopefully in a few years I can find a place where I can settle down. Portland is not that place.

Beware property insurance. When you buy a house you will inevitably find yourself dealing with that. Trust me when I say its a monsterous money pit with very little return on the investment as insurance companies often look for every way possible to screw you over. That is why I rent as it keeps me from having to deal with those scum bags and I already know of better places I can stash my stuff if the shit is gonna hit the fan big time. My advice would be consider looking into a good storage unit place if moving is inevitable. You can stash plenty of stuff there and still be able to survive with the clothes on your back. Just remember to keep paying that fee for the storage unit though or you lose everything. On that end, consider a post office box as well. This way if you do lose your mail access at your old place then you can just have it diverted to your post office box. Moving can be a pain but consider it as moving from one chapter of a book to the next. As long as you try not to screw up too much you should be just fine.

Aww, poor baby. Honestly I am worried about the same thing. I am not in a position quite yet to afford real estate (well...okay I can, but I don't want to, if I end up moving within 1-2 years then I will take a loss), and I have a dog and now a cat. Blah.

Personally I'm OK with living in Bumfuck, PacNW if it means I get to keep my pets. Hopefully in a few years I can find a place where I can settle down. Portland is not that place.
    Yeah. The sad part was it wasn't barking, it was the saddest most pathetic crying. My neighbours felt bad for him

Hopefully we won't have to move again until we can afford our own place.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanericuser001 View Post
    Beware property insurance. When you buy a house you will inevitably find yourself dealing with that. Trust me when I say its a monsterous money pit with very little return on the investment as insurance companies often look for every way possible to screw you over.
    This is true. My parents had their house burglarized recently only to find out that there was a $1,000 deductible and the cap on jewelry was $1,000.00 as well. Fortunately they only had maybe $2,500.00 worth of stuff taken, but it sucks to only get 60% of that back after paying insurance for decades.

10+ Year Old Account

it's quite common to have apartments and such that ban pets. it's to keep certain animals from messing up houses.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-09-25 at 03:31 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    This is true. My parents had their house burglarized recently only to find out that there was a $1,000 deductible and the cap on jewelry was $1,000.00 as well. Fortunately they only had maybe $2,500.00 worth of stuff taken, but it sucks to only get 60% of that back after paying insurance for decades.
    That's why it's important to tell your broker what you own, and not buy your own stuff online. Brokers are worth the money. Honesty is worth your money and so are good brokers. Never go to an agent. Brokers will not tell the tax man about your illegal basement.

10+ Year Old Account
    There SHOULD be a contract/lease. They can't break that, just as you (he) cannot. But that is only 6-12 months at most.

What is the 'equipment' exactly? I feel like this is the focus of the problem, really. And also why it keeps getting avoided.

If he thought he could just 'rent' forever, then it's his own fault, though.
    Last edited by chazus; 2016-09-25 at 03:15 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What is the 'equipment' exactly?
    He's growing weed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thousandsons View Post
    He's growing weed
    Honestly can't tell if it's a joke or not O_o
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab