Thread: No Man's Sky

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Good, so you agree that Sean Murray's guesting on Colbert show was in no way an ad.
    Nope.

///////

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    You are definitely not going to convince that sony had no behind the scenes influence. And that American talkshows are charity events that don't take money.
    I commented on your 'NMS didnt have ads on tv' post. Which they did.
    You don't understand how it works, if the segment was sponsored by Sony they would be required to say so. That's what separates an advertisement from publicity. Do yourself a favor and never go to law school or try to work in a PR department.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

///////
    Keep re-reading until you agree then. Don't come back before that happens.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Keep re-reading until you agree then. Don't come back before that happens.
    Haha.

///////

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

///////
    That's your prerogative, sure. But your opinion on this topic is hereby irrelevant.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    That's your prerogative, sure. But your opinion on this topic is hereby irrelevant.
    Tell me more.

So to do something that hasn't happened in a while...gonna talk about actually playing the game for a bit.

Namely that I came across my first system that had been discovered by another player about 150,000 light years from the center (only one day prior to my visit as well).

I routinely hit the "Search for discoveries" button when in the galactic map and until yesterday had not had any hits. I was legitimately surprised when it switched to "Select nearest" in stead of "Searching" and popped over to check it out. They even left a moon undiscovered, so I was able to upload that - felt weird, after so many planets being essentially for my eyes only, to stand on one that no one had while looking at one someone had reached before, and then to walk on one that someone else had seen first.

Also learned for certain that Black Holes pick a random location - a few stars over was one in a system discovered by the same person, so I decided to see if it would take me where they had gone. Undiscovered star system on the other side for me, and no more discoveries nearby either, so unless they just happened to log off for some reason before going through then our paths diverged.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Not to mentioned that platforms such as Steam tagged it as “indie”, multiple game reviewers refer to it has a “triple A indie game”, “indie title” or “indie-like game”, shit, even Patrick Plourde refered to it has a indie game… but fuck all that, it’s whatever you say it is.
    So is Hearthstone, Overwatch, and Heroes of the Storm an Indie game as well? Child of light was developed by Ubisoft using the Ubi-Art framework. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UbiArt...iArt_Framework. It isn't an indie game because it was developed by a major studio, developed with that major studios assets, and published and owned by that major studio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Montreal is who created Child of Light. A subsidiary of Ubisoft. That isn't Independent in the slightest.

Child of light had financial and development support from past Ubisoft titles. If you honestly believe that Child of light is an indie title then most games produced are indie titles. Because EA produces games in-house. Ubisoft produces games in-house. Activision produces games in-house. But that isn't what indie means in the game industry. Steam also allows user tags of which a user can tag a product as anything and it will show up.

Not to mention when searching "child of light" and using steam's narrow by tag "indie" it doesn't show up on the list. Funny that huh? Just because people or places use a term wrongly doesn't make it a fact. You can call a rose a tulip but that doesn't make a tulip a rose.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    My point is that if we follow some of these definitions to the letter then yes, it can become as ridiculous as you just perfectly exemplified, there is just no solid definition to it, it’s not something as black and white as some of you are claiming it to be… does anyone know how many people worked in Child of Light? How high was their budget? How highly the game was promoted? Because I fucking don’t =/
    It isn't ridiculous though if following the industry standard term. There is a solid definition of what an indie game is. The problem comes when people like you, or developers, or reviewers, or anyone else improperly uses the term and promotes something as "indie" in order to gain some kind of boost that the word implies. No Man's Sky is an Indie developer with a non-Indie publisher.

It doesn't matter how many people worked on Child of Light or what its budget was. It is an Ubisoft title produced in-house with in-house assets and sold under the in-house name. Ubisoft is not considered an independent developer or company. You keep trying to argue that child of light is indie while at the same time telling us to ignore it because it is proven to not fight your argument.

Industry terms have clear meanings. People try to claim they don't in order gain a boost for their product with marketing. This is shown in the case of Child of Light. Where you and the steam community have tagged it as "indie" when it really isn't and is not tagged as indie through steam's own tags. (Since you misunderstood this earlier I'll clarify. Steam has two types of tags for games. Ones the community assigns, and ones Valve/Steam/Owner assigns to the game. This is why games community tagged with indie won't appear for the steam indie tag. which is why nothing I say now is related to improper comparisons of NMS with community tagged games)

But again if the argument you are making, ignoring all examples of games is true, then all studios are indie. EA can produce indie games, Blizzard can produce Indie games, Activision can produce indie games. That isn't true though with what the term actually means in the industry.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2016-09-25 at 01:59 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Techinically its a paragraph.
    No, that's lazy copy pasting. The second sentence is just there for a ride.
    However, yes I can... let's see:

Oh shit, that's just exactly my fucking point here... you'll also find often words such as "typically", "generally" and "usually" for some fucking reason.

Good, I got you reading the next paragraph, but yet you still managed to stop at the first sentence. But this time you lazy copied the second sentence that talks about my point, read it and then further on.

I know reading is hard, but I believe I can teach you sentence by sentence.

Sean Murray being on Colbert's show wasn't advertising. It was however marketing.

Its along the same lines as a company going to E3, PAX or TGS and displaying their game, console, graphics card, etc. The end goal of doing it is to attempt to sell your product.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2016-09-25 at 01:47 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    So I finally spent a few hours in game, I really like it so far... except for the controls, such a PITA to understand most of the things (on PC at least). First language learning stone I found, I thought it was bugged or something, I was clicking the dialog choice thingy and it did nothing. Then later on when I found a 2nd one I understood that long click was the answer -.-

Also, spaceship control. Urgh.
    Fortunately on PC there are mods that can change it to an instant-click (assuming the mod still works...I'm on PS4 so I don't know what works and what doesn't).

The "Hold to activate" is common enough in console games that when a quick button press didn't work I knew exactly what to try (though I still find it fairly annoying myself).

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, I guess I wasn’t clear enough about it on my last post, but I’m not arguing that Child of Light is an indie game, I’m arguing about the existence of the possibility of it being considered an indie game, believe it or not it’s actually slightly different.
    It order for it to be a possibility it has to be argued that it is not an indie game. Just because someone says it is an indie game doesn't make it an indie game. Its like the steam community tags versus the steam official tags. The community can label a game with various tags but that doesn't officially make it that tag unless steam and/or the developer also uses that tag. Given what makes up an indie game there is no possibility that Child of Light is one. I am able to prove shit as I already have. It uses an existing engine, it is created by a Ubisoft owned studio, its copyrighted to Ubisoft Entertainment, it had Far Cry 3 developers working on it, it drew on developers, assets, and other resources of Ubisoft in order to be created.

"An independent video game (commonly referred to as an indie game) is a video game that is created without the financial support of a publisher. Indie games often focus on innovation and rely on digital distribution." So since I provided a definition does that mean that mine is no longer worthless? I'm not arrogant. I am not right and everyone else is wrong. I'm not a special snow flake. But I also don't keep trying to make ignorant claims even more so when they are proven wrong.

Also cherry picking one phrase from an entire article doesn't prove your point. The article the line "no exact widely accepted definition..." is from 2011 and puts that statement into context.

From that article(http://www.webcitation.org/6Jpkafpgl):

The game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Why it’s not indie: Let’s start out with an easy one. Clearly Modern Warfare 2 is not an indie game just like Transformers 2 is not an independent film. An immense team of people at Infinity Ward developed MW2. Activision Blizzard, a huge, publicly traded publisher, owns the studio and paid for all the funding, salaries, and marketing for the game upfront.
    That applies to Ubisoft and Child of Light. It might not have been an immense team working on Child of light but it used assets that an immense team created and paid for. You can't just pick a few of the things that make a game indie and ignore the rest. If some don't fit that it isn't an indie game though it may share similarities to an indie game. Just as Hearthstone shares similarities but is not an indie game. There is a reason why Sony partnered for NMS. Indie games, or games developed like Indie games are big money. It can be a huge money maker for a non-indie studio to release a low budget and small team game. The lower your costs the bigger your profit. Its why many big "corporate" studios are exploring indie sized and funded teams.

No Man's Sky is an indie game. It was self financed, its a small team, it has been stated by the developers and Sony (though you can't trust their executives word) to have no development or marketing support from Sony. It is a small team. And no I didn't mean that No Man's Sky is an indie game. They have publishing support so it isn't an indie game any longer but it is a game that has an indie developer. It would have been grammatically correct to use Hello Games but no one here has used proper grammar so its a semantic.

You seem to be ignorant to the fact that a lot of people misuse terms in order to gain a boost for their product. Some people see Indie and automatically think of the game as different just because of that label. Look at all of the arguments that have ensued over NMS being labeled Indie but a non-indie AAA price. Despite how amusing you find the concept words have power. And a lot of people will try to get that power for their product even if it doesn't fit. I don't know better then all of those expletives but it does seem clear I understand a little more about it then you.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2016-09-25 at 04:25 PM.

Every time I check this thread you guys are always having the same pointless argument...

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Every time I check this thread you guys are always having the same pointless argument...
    Welcome to the new Wildstar thread. No one actually cares about the game any more, they just argue over semantics and whether it's x bad, or y bad.

No Man's Sky has fallen under suspicion that not all of its features are entirely original. Some may be borrowed from a similar indie game called Out There that hasn't enjoyed nearly the same level of limelight. Is that really the case though? Let's take a look.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Plagiarized...features? Are we digging this deep now?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Plagiarized...features? Are we digging this deep now?
    To be clear I am not saying its one or the other.

I seen the video posted and figured I would post it here. Kinda busy atm so I haven't watched it myself yet

Will in a few mins tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If you watch videos from the click bait wannabe investigative journalism known as "The Know" you're doing it wrong.

Clicked the video...

Those people already look douchetastic, but sure, let's give this a whirl.

Some random guy with a blog thinks that because media didn't compare NMS to a mobile game that's...a problem?

2 minutes in...so games have similar goals in terms of what kind of game they want to make...both developers cite a variety of popular sci-fi works from the mid/late 1900's as influence and both games were started at the same time...these people continue to annoy the shit out of me and I want to punch them in the face...they touched on the Paladins/Overwatch "controversy" and 4 and a half minutes in I'm done. These people having said a single thing of even remote interest.