Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Why are people so big on tanning?

People are saying you look sick when you are too pale for their liking, people are saying you need to get out in the sun to get a tan. What if you think having a tan is ugly? I like how I look when I am paler. Tanning makes your skin age faster too.

So why is it that people are so big on tanning, to the point where they think people who do not tan are sick?
    Last edited by mmoc1afe70b5e4; 2016-09-27 at 02:16 PM.

Being pale CAN be a sign of illness.

Do what you feel like so long as you're getting your vitamin D
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

When tanned (not to the point of abusing it ofc), most people do look healthier.

Plus, Vitamin D makes people happier.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are obsessed with vanity and always worried about what other people will think of them. Otherwise known as a mental illness.

I hate tan lines on chicks. I hate orange chicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I'm not sure, I'm naturally brown-skinned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pale is normal in the UK, I first saw the sun at age 8

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it looks nice on some women.

Deleted
    Variation! It's all about variation.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are big on tanning? Is this 1998? I didn't know it was still a thing..

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I do find it quite comical that so many US celebrities have unnaturally tanned skin plus unnaturally white teeth XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    People are saying you look sick when you are too pale for their liking, people are saying you need to get out in the sun to get a tan. What if you think having a tan is ugly? I like how I look when I am paler. Tanning makes your skin age faster too.

So why is it that people are so big on tanning, to the point where they think people who do not tan are sick?
    Some people say this stuff and like tanning. Plenty of people don't.

I don't think tanning is important or especially nice looking. I try to avoid tanning myself. It's just sun damage, and the tan fades within a week for me anyway.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Poor people used to be tan because they would work outside in the sun. Now rich people are tan so they can tell everyone they just got back from vacation in the Bahamas.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Because tanning is healthy (as long as you don't overdo it). Sun exposure is the main source of vitamin D production in our bodies, which boosts all kinds of bodily functions and makes us healthier.

A tan has also been the beauty standard for decades now, most people find a tanned person more beautiful than a pale person.

2 pretty good reasons there.

There are several reasons:

1) A tan is like natural makeup. Birthmarks and other dark spots look less prominent when your skin isn't super pale.

2) Your teeth look brighter due to the stronger contrast (that's why people often wonder why many blacks have such shining bright teeth).

3) It used to be a sign of wealth, at least in northern/ middle european countries. Those with a tan could afford a vacation abroad. Nowadays not so much, but you still get asked where you have been if you have a slight tan (not an obvious solarium tan)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Poor people used to be tan because they would work outside in the sun. Now rich people are tan so they can tell everyone they just got back from vacation in the Bahamas.
    I never really realised how much he looks like a scrotum until now.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    http://img.wennermedia.com/620-width...0d9257bfe7.jpg

Which is hilarious because you can see the outline of his tanning goggles.

As for me? Burn/peel.
    It goes: Extremely pale -> lobster mode -> peel -> still just as pale as you were before. I don't even try to tan because I know it won't work. Like, my left arm has a slight tan from driving, and that took years and years. It's mostly just freckles, and I wouldn't even notice the difference if it weren't for the obvious watch outline.

I get a sweet farmers tan in the summer.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I don't understand tanning either. I prefer girls with pale skin.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I get a sweet farmers tan in the summer.
    Hehe the rednack tan roxs, tease my friend who is a construction worker about having one in the late spring
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.