Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What are the remaining, hype seller for WoW's next expansions in the lore?

Blizzard have been meeting most of the anticipated contents since the realized of vanilla WoW so far with expansions.

- WC3 heroes in TBC, two new races
    - The Lich King, Death Knight
    - Deathwing
    - Pandaren race, Monk
    - Demon Hunter
    - Old gods

I guess the remaining cliffhangers and subjects that are big enough to make sales would be,

- Azshara + N'zoth + Naga race package
    - Argus? (if somehow we don't deal with this in Legion)
    - Tinker class?
    - Ogre, Arrakoa, Ethereal races? (at this point though, I just can't see them fueling enough excitement to the players nor thematically fitting for any expansions)
    - Void Lords?

Am I missing any significant lore anchors that a lot of people are anticipated about?

What are the other hypes that WoW still have in store for players and fans?

Deleted
    Alliance and Horde war can always get worse, even though I don't like it.

- Azshara
    - N'zoth
    - Zul
    - Emerald Dream
    - Argus
    - Bolvar
    - Azjol-Nerub
    - Infinite Dragonflight
    - Titan planet (with Titan constructs and shit)
    - Constellars
    - Other pieces of Outland
    - Other side of Azeroth

And of course, they can always pull something totally unexpected out of their asses.
    Last edited by Sentynel; 2016-09-28 at 06:31 PM.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There will most likely never be a tinker class as that would take to much away from engineers. As for everything else, there are quite a few you forgot such as Kil'Jaeden, Sargeras, the Void Lords, The Twisting Nether...
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Who says it HAS to be something already in place? New characters, new ideas and new concepts!

Now, by this I don´t mean to forget all thats been done before but I think there plenty of room in WoW for new lore. Also I think the game´s story needs a bit of a scale back. We are reaching (or have reached in a way) the comic book superhero problem where the "the world is at the brink of distruction" every 20 minutes. Theres room for smaller stories, lore wise, that maintain the epic feel we all love.

Deppending on how Legion ends they can either scale back and let the world be bit more peaceful and let the adventures we (the players) take to be more localized; OR they can go for broke and head over to Argus and keep punching Demons Lords and Old Gods and everything that comes our way. Either way, I will probably be in.
    They could just introduce a new continent undiscovered for a *smaller scale* thing. As for players, I think it would be interesting if they let you chose the dialogue option to chose between adventurer,hero,champion or whatever for your own...special snowflake ness >.>(I'm being serious in the sense of adding some RP Flavor in this mmoRPG)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a tinker class would bring in huge sales at all, nor would playable Ogres. Arakkoa and Naga might bring in some. Ethereal would be a gamble, I think.

The only upside to a Tinker class is that it ideally would be ranged, which this game obviously sorely needs.

As for plotlines:

- Bolvar. Could be really cool, especially if we're kept in the dark about his true intentions. A gray main character, I love it. We're getting that this time with Illidan, but he has so much baggage.
    - Infinite Dragonflight. Could also be good, but they'd need to be careful to avoid the corniness that ruined WoD's storyline.
    - Other side of Azeroth: love this.

My own idea:
    - Azeroth shows signs of waking.

I don't see Argus this expansion. I do see the Tomb of Sargeras(which I believe they even said in a interview). Probably taking down Sarg's 2nd in command in Kil'jadean. From there I'd rather see the next expansion being us taking down Azshara and N'zoth, or at least breaking the planet free of the corruption of N'zoth. Then my idea for the next few expansions could be planet hopping to Argus. Velen gets the Exodus up and running, the Horde use Tempest Keep and we slowly free planets of the Legions presence. It would allow them to make whole new worlds, new races, new lore without butchering the current lore anymore than they already have. Big bad guys can be a mix of demons and corrupted heroes/leaders of the races on the planets we free. Each step along the way gathering more forces and building our armies to combat the Legion. We finally take all that down only to face the "final" enemy of the Void. So that's quite a few expansions. 1)N'zoth, 2-4+ random planet, then Argus, then Void

Anything that adds Bards, I'm down with.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMonk79 View Post
    I don't see Argus this expansion. I do see the Tomb of Sargeras(which I believe they even said in a interview). Probably taking down Sarg's 2nd in command in Kil'jadean. From there I'd rather see the next expansion being us taking down Azshara and N'zoth, or at least breaking the planet free of the corruption of N'zoth. Then my idea for the next few expansions could be planet hopping to Argus. Velen gets the Exodus up and running, the Horde use Tempest Keep and we slowly free planets of the Legions presence. It would allow them to make whole new worlds, new races, new lore without butchering the current lore anymore than they already have. Big bad guys can be a mix of demons and corrupted heroes/leaders of the races on the planets we free. Each step along the way gathering more forces and building our armies to combat the Legion. We finally take all that down only to face the "final" enemy of the Void. So that's quite a few expansions. 1)N'zoth, 2-4+ random planet, then Argus, then Void
    By all logic, we should close the portal with Nighthold in 7.1.X since Nighthold is the same tier essentially as the HoV raid and EN according to every indication of Blizzard. 7.2 should be another raid tier according to their last statement on this(HoV was explicitly mentioned as being something else). 7.2 by all accounts be us killing Nzoth and Azshara as there have been indicators that using the pillars will release him and we will use the pillars prior to 7.2 to close the portal since Guldan is more than likely going bye bye in Nighthold. 7.3/4 being the third raid tier they said we'd have would easily be something to do with KJ since Velen flat out said he was going to Argus and would somehow bridge the gap. Not quite sure how fast the Exodar travels, but then again they'll probably crash it into Argus knowing the Draenei drunk drivers.

The thing is with all 5 pillars in our hands by the end of 7.1, I'm really not sure how the third tier could even progress other than taking the fight to them considering we'd have beaten the invasion. I mean let's face it, Guldan gets enhanced by either Sargy or KJ in the Nighthold fight and we still beat him and he was the one running the invasion from this side. Without him there, and having the pillars, there is no reason we couldn't close the portal almost immediately after getting the final one somewhat similar to getting the Algalon code and taking it to Dalaran and using it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    - Azshara
    - N'zoth
    - Zul
    - Emerald Dream
    - Argus
    - Bolvar
    - Azjol-Nerub
    - Infinite Dragonflight
    - Constellars
    - Other side of Azeroth

And of course, they can always pull something totally unexpected out of their asses.
    A lot of those would be for head canon people without a bit of rationality in their heads.

First two are b rated saturday morning cartoon villains at this point who deserve a mid expansion tier raid at best.

Zul.... they missed their chances at this honestly. By now, Zandalar should be gone and honestly Rak...whatever his name is pretty much threw all of his chips in on Lei Shen with the promise of getting parts of Pandaria which was clearly indicated in MoP so the Zandalari really have no true force left. Unless they want to throw a weird wrench and say like Zul was really Malganis or something which is plausible since Zul mysteriously came about during the Cataclysm which was well after Malganis vanished.

Emerald Dream has already been shot down by the devs as they flat out said it is mostly empty open space and would be boring.

Argus sure.

Bolvar.... that defeats the whole purpose of him taking up the mantle.

AN definitely not since the undead nerubians are controlled by Bolvar and the living ones are few and their master is dead(Yoggy)

Infinites were somewhat handled. They roam the timeways and the best that could come of that is Murozond being some escaping villain since we know when we kill him and honestly was a pushover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't downplay Azshara and try act like she is some cartoon villain. She isn't. Neither is N'zoth, his influence is around but we haven't actually seen him.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Main things that come to mind are:
    1) Argus if we don't deal with it in this expansion
    2) Magni and his connection to Azeroth, she's a Titan....so the whole Titan mythos and story could be expanded upon. Which could lead to...
    3) Sargeras. With Azeroth being a Titan, and Sargeras also being one, we could move around the Twisting Nether searching for additional Titan souls to bring together to take down Sargeras eventually.
    4) Void Lords

Most of this would be new ground that is being discussed in Legion, not much of the old stuff is unresolved, except Azshara at this point which I'm fairly sure will be alluded to in Legion.

Who says it HAS to be something already in place? New characters, new ideas and new concepts!

Now, by this I don´t mean to forget all thats been done before but I think there plenty of room in WoW for new lore. Also I think the game´s story needs a bit of a scale back. We are reaching (or have reached in a way) the comic book superhero problem where the "the world is at the brink of distruction" every 20 minutes. Theres room for smaller stories, lore wise, that maintain the epic feel we all love.

Deppending on how Legion ends they can either scale back and let the world be bit more peaceful and let the adventures we (the players) take to be more localized; OR they can go for broke and head over to Argus and keep punching Demons Lords and Old Gods and everything that comes our way. Either way, I will probably be in.

I entirely agree with you on this. I'd much prefer if we get some of our own Game of Thrones stuff in WoW.
    I'm thinking about more localized and political world quests and in-depth stories over the places like Gilneas, smaller islands of Zandalari Trolls, some smaller faction conflicts like Nightelves vs Orcs, Humans vs Bloodelves grudge, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    - Azshara
    - N'zoth
    - Zul
    - Emerald Dream
    - Argus
    - Bolvar
    - Azjol-Nerub
    - Infinite Dragonflight
    - Constellars
    - Other side of Azeroth

Yeah I'd personally want to see something like MoP, in terms of a completely new content added to WoW. Just thematically not too out of place, hopefully.
    Especially with materials like other pieces of Outland, the other side of Azeroth, even Kul'Tiras and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasLehner View Post
    I entirely agree with you on this. I'd much prefer if we get some of our own Game of Thrones stuff in WoW.
    I'm thinking about more localized and political world quests and in-depth stories over the places like Gilneas, smaller islands of Zandalari Trolls, some smaller faction conflicts like Nightelves vs Orcs, Humans vs Bloodelves grudge, etc.
    I certainly think there's room for a Horde vs Alliance focused expansion. While we'd have to have some common enemies, it feels like a plot thread that needs to be resolved in some capacity. It's very awkward story-telling to have the Horde and Alliance at war every expansion - you're always waiting for the event that makes them start fighting again.

While we'll always have PvP and Battlegrounds, lore-wise we don't need the Horde and Alliance to be at war all the time, and Blizzard seems to be moving further and further away from full-scale conflict. Genn and Sylvanas definitely have some serious beef with each other (for good reason), but it seems like the bulk of both factions are against further fighting, Legion invasion or no.

I also don't think they'll want to let the entire decades-spanning war just die quietly, so I think an expansion could be a good way to go about it. I know there are loads of problems with the idea - Blizzard can't just develop different raids for the factions, for example. Still, I'd like to see the most famous conflict in Warcraft given some kind of focus and/or resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    There will most likely never be a tinker class as that would take to much away from engineers. As for everything else, there are quite a few you forgot such as Kil'Jaeden, Sargeras, the Void Lords, The Twisting Nether...
    There will most likely never be a demon hunter class because warlocks already have meta and immolation aura and rogues already have the leather dual wield niche covered. plus I doubt blizz would ever make a class for only 2 races that'd be absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

A 4th war expansion with a remastered, HD Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor as the continents given broken isles tech and WQs/treasure and the story basically being bloody all out war. I'd dig that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seifross View Post
    I certainly think there's room for a Horde vs Alliance focused expansion. While we'd have to have some common enemies, it feels like a plot thread that needs to be resolved in some capacity. It's very awkward story-telling to have the Horde and Alliance at war every expansion - you're always waiting for the event that makes them start fighting again.
    I don't think you're ever gonna see steady peace in WoW's storyline. The factions cannot get along no matter who's in charge

10+ Year Old Account
    Idea I picked out of my butt was basically another Old god landing on the planet somewhere on Azeroth which causes.a bit of an earthquake. Kinda like Metroid prime style(As in a big levitation or however you spell hits random planets)

Warrior-Magi

The fanbase. Quite a huge number almost automatically reject anything that can't be traced back completely to WC3 as filler

NEWS: The Cartography Guild of Azeroth missed ANOTHER continent, AGAIN!
    I just wanted to note that the only continent that was "missed" since the Third War was Pandaria because it was shrouded in mists.

It's not just because you've never gone there that you couldn't go there.

A character could have gone to the Broken Isles and met the Court of Farondis any time, during, say, WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I don't think you're ever gonna see steady peace in WoW's storyline. The factions cannot get along no matter who's in charge
    I don't think it would necessarily have to end with peace, to be clear. I just think the Horde vs. Alliance plot needs some work, because they haven't given decent justification for the conflict for quite a long time. I get Genn vs. Sylvanas, but we've been sitting in a weird middle-ground where we're-at-war-but-not-really for years now. MoP was the last full-on Horde vs. Alliance conflict and it ended with a rough peace. WoD had no real Horde vs. Alliance lore-wise, and Legion begins with a joint assault. Then the Broken Shore happens, and it still seems like the majority of each faction is against open war.

I'm kind of rambling, but I just think the war has been in a really weird place lore-wise since Vanilla, and Blizz isn't entirely sure what to do with it. I don't think having the factions perpetually at each other's throats is a good solution, but I also don't think this will-they-won't-they soap opera thing is working out either.

I'm not sure an expansion focused on the topic would be enough, but I still think it would make for an interesting central theme. MoP had some of my favourite story-telling to date and it was heavily focused on the conflict, for example. I also think that either way the conflict needs to be resolved or justified in full instead of skirmishes that make little sense lore-wise. Why any PC (who are now leading an entire neutral order) would help Genn or Sylvanas (except for Worgen and Forsaken) is beyond me.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wish they did this more. Making stories from pre-existing lore is all well and good. But you always get the people who complain "herp derp this isn't exactly like the story should be" and so your never going to make lore nerds happy.

I view WoW like Game of Thrones. Pre-WoW lore (WC3 etc.) are what the Song of Ice and Fire book, and post-WoW are the TV shows. Seperate, but very similar with some of the story and some changes.

I wish they would create something totally new rather than adapting the old stories.

- Azshara and the Naga as suggested since several addons
    - N'Zoth as suggested this addon
    - The Void as suggested this Addon
    - Argus as suggested this Addon
    - Maybe a Titan-Homeworld
    - Maybe the place of the battle in which the Titans were defeated
    - Alternate-Azeroth (When there is a Dreanor from 20 years ago there is an Azeroth somewhere there)
    - More of the Emerald Dream
    - Sargeras or whoever follows in his steps in case we actually do something about him in Legion. The Legion won't be over with this addon.
    (- Whatever this thing was going to be... http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...o/Westfall.jpg )
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2016-09-29 at 09:02 AM.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.