Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I do about 400 interviews for seasonal positions each year. I expect at least a bare minimum of effort in how people dress. I don't require dresses / skirts / suits / ties or any of that nonsense. But if you look like you just rolled out of bed, you may as well not even bother coming to the interview.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Other than that, wear a goddamn T-shirt and shorts, as long as you're at least clean.

It's definitely not a "young people don't dress well" and "old people do" -kind of a thing. Some people just have a stick up their asses.
    Sure. Just dont expect to be hired

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but a suit just screams tryhard for 95% of jobs. If I was the interviewer and you would show up in a suit for an IT job i'd tell you to leave instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    So its a company of alcoholics lol? Doubt they stay in business long.
    Hehe, nah. App programming and other similar things.
    They can also go on vacation whenever you want, you can work from home when you want, etc.

As long as the business is going on smoothly, no biggie.

I think their aproach is good and the "pub interview" is actually a good thing, cause it's a relaxing atmosphere and they can see how you behave, how and what you speak when you relax (in this case, due to drinks).

7+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting how many people don't understand what 'appropriate' means. Tip: It's not exclusive to suits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Sure. Just dont expect to be hired
    I don't know of anyone who didn't get the job they were going for because they didn't wear a goddamn suit, myself included. I guess it's a cultural thing then, and over here people care more about how you perform than how you look.

I don't know of anyone who didn't get the job they were going for because they didn't wear a goddamn suit, myself included. I guess it's a cultural thing then, and over here people care more about how you perform than how you look.
    How can you judge somebody's performance if you haven't yet seen it first hand? All you have to go on is their resume / CV, appearance, and how they speak. Anyone can look good on paper.
    Last edited by prwraith; 2016-09-29 at 12:17 PM.

Did you still proceed with the interview even if you knew they weren't going to be hired?

If yes, then you should've told them that their attire is not appropriate and that you won't interview them since it would be a waste of time for both parties. Maybe then, they would learn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    How can you judge somebody's performance if you haven't yet seen it first hand? All you have to go on is their resume / CV, appearance, and how they speak.
    Well it's a pretty damn bad job interview if it doesn't establish at least some kind of an outline of the person's performance.

Job Interviews are fucking stupid like 90% of the questions are bait man lets take a basic job in a caffe or somthing

"So why would you like the job"

What your thinking : I need money , so i need this job.
    What you actually say: Some bullshit about how u love working with food and interacting with customers all day.

And you get told not to lie in job interviews LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Money doesn't only buy clothes. How about that 1+ million house with all the bloated prices, but stagnated wages? Did you afford that one too? People used to be able to buy them with some years salary.
    If youre a young person, just out of college and starting a career, you cant expect to own a house right away. Its a goal to work toward. Most people are well into their 30s or early 40s when they buy their first home unless they inherited one or inherited a lot of money or won the lottery. Just another example of young people and their entitlement mindset. I just got my college degree, I should be given a job right away making $100k per year and able to buy a brand new home and $40,000 car right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.?
    They say 40 is the new 30 and where I live most people start their lifes and settle not before 30 these days. Looking at our trainees (some end teens and twens) some can still be considered being a child. Not by the looks though. They all look fancy ;-)

Well it's a pretty damn bad job interview if it doesn't establish at least some kind of an outline of the person's performance.
    Depends on the level of the job interview. If programming or some IT field sure, that's cake to establish performance. Let's suppose you're interviewing someone for a call center middle management job. The skills required are speaking clearly, confidently, having a working knowledge of spreadsheets, and a HR wary mindset. All things that can be easily faked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, he was working with customers and users all the time. And this wasn't some dotcom startup, it was a government-run building.
    Color me impressed. Usually even in IT if you're customer facing you end up having to wear at least a shirt in most cases(at least judging from my experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Easy. You try to shake their hand and you shake it firmly.

I wouldn't want to work for a dipshit that doesn't know to shake hands in the first place. Their loss if they back down.
    I just find it irritating. More so when it's not even as simple as I said. Some expect everyone to, some don't want anyone to shake. Then there are those who don't expect or even want women to do that. *shrugs* Such a guessing game each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfish25 View Post
    Job Interviews are fucking stupid like 90% of the questions are bait man lets take a basic job in a caffe or somthing

What you actually say: Some bullshit about how u love working with food and interacting with customers all day.

Social etiquette is important for most jobs. Most questions like that are aimed at gauging whether you have it. You may think they're stupid; but they serve a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfish25 View Post

That's a bad interview question that a respectable HR wouldn't approve. Example of one of our questions "Can you tell me about a time your performance goals were not inline with what you wanted from yourself, or what your previous director wanted from you, and how you corrected the situation"

It's a much better question than "why would you like the job"

that said I can't tell you how many people bomb the question entirely.

Meh. Young people wanting to stick out from the crowd. This is nothing new.
    They'll learn once they get older, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    The expectations are... yes.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.

One guy had on some sort of loooong t-shirt, kinda pyjama like,with stripes.
    Another guy had a very wide neck on his T-shirt, that was also wrinkly and kinda torn on the edges (I think they sell them like this?) He also worre damaged skinny jeans with holes in them, which I also mentioned to him(your pants are damaged, what happened?) but he told me it's in fashion... >.>

Then there was a girl that had her arms exposed, which is of course no issue at all if they werent completely covered in tattoos. And I counted at least 3 skulls and some disturbing signs.
    Also had a girl with one side of her head shaved and sporting a nose ring and dressed in bright purple.

Luckily not everyone dresses this way to an interview and we had at least 2 girls that came dressed properly but it does make me wonder if these other candidates don't have parents, teachers or someone else in their invormenet that tells them how to dress for an interview.

So why can't some people dress proper?
    Define "proper", I have never found any correlation between how people dress and how they perform jobs. People who put a suit on to "impress or conform" are in no way showing "effort" and certainly are not better at a given job.

Bring up tattoos ... really! Why does one persons choice invalidate them for a job, nor do they look any less professional.

People in suits are generally the biggest con-people / untrustworthy beings in existence!