Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Being a healer this expansion sucks

I've probably spent way more time DPSing than I've spent actually healing this expansion because of how much time I've had to spend doing content on my own to unlock world quests, do the class hall campaign, get Nightfallen rep, doing world quests, etc. Then I can spend a tiny amount of time actually playing the role I enjoy.

I am honestly not surprised that there is a healer shortage this expansion because you pretty much spend barely any time at all getting to play one, and it makes way more sense if you want to get things done efficiently and stay on the same level/progression as most people to just straight up give up on being one and be a DPS.

"Well people complained there wasn't enough to do in WoD!". I get that, and I really appreciate that Blizzard addressed that, I certainly don't hate at all that I have tons of great content to do. But I can't really do any of it as the role I enjoy the most, or if I do it's very slow and boring.

IMO there definitely needs to be more group content in the game outside of dungeons and raids. Maybe bring back group quests, who knows. I just want to heal! The solution to "we need more content" shouldn't just be slap on some more daily quest style content all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    World Quests and leveling can be done as a Healer. Yes, it does take longer to kill things and you might level more slowly, but it is doable.

And there are many WQ's out there that do require groups - Wanted and World Bosses.
    I know it's doable, trust me. But it's mind numbingly boring and slow. I've definitely tried to do it on multiple healing classes and I can say it's not enjoyable at all, you are still mostly going to just be DPSing, and you're not a very good one, either.

In my experience for most group WQ's people don't actually form groups for them, they just kill stuff and everyone gets credit with the new system. Which I really like, I think it was very much needed. But it is difficult to do my job as a healer that way because I can't even really tell who needs healing, etc.

World Quests and leveling can be done as a Healer. Yes, it does take longer to kill things and you might level more slowly, but it is doable and you can still play the spec you enjoy.

And there are many WQ's out there that do look for groups - Wanted and World Bosses, for example. I've also joined groups where WQ's require you to kill a bunch of elites.
    I agree with you completely but the arguement will be while in a healing spec, yes, all you are really doing is DPSing.

Pretty much having fun as a healer. I tag something and let someone else kill it a lot of the time. Instance queues are sub one minute as a healer.

do them as a group in your guild. mine does it on occassion. its not too hard to get a handful of guildies together and just burn thru them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Pretty much having fun as a healer. I tag something and let someone else kill it a lot of the time. Instance queues are sub one minute as a healer.
    That is definitely one nice thing about being a healer now, no one is playing one so instance queues are instant and it's very easy to get into Mythic and Mythic+ dungeons, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Your Imouto View Post
    I know it's doable, trust me. But it's mind numbingly boring and slow. I've definitely tried to do it on multiple healing classes and I can say it's not enjoyable at all, you are still mostly going to just be DPSing, and you're not a very good one, either.

In my experience for most group WQ's people don't actually form groups for them, they just kill stuff and everyone gets credit with the new system. Which I really like, I think it was very much needed. But it is difficult to do my job as a healer that way because I can't even really tell who needs healing, etc.
    Honestly after getting good gear (about 850 ilvl} I stopped questing as ret and did WQs and shit as holy. Its so much better. Im on stormrage alliance so its a populated server but I tend to pull a bunch of shit and aoe it down with holy prism and cons while killing things extremely fast single target with CS and HS. Its actually much faster than ret in my experience and I can pull way more and survive.

But its not like Im healing when Im doing world quests as holy, Im still dpsing just in holy spec. So I guess that doesnt really count either.

But I have to disagree. Aside from doing the emissary when I log on, I do a few Ap world quests and Im done with that for the day unless a new one pops up and Im already on. Afterwards I just heal a bunch of mythic+, usually one high level one and a lot of +2/3 for legendary farming. Then I have guild raids on wednesday/thursday for 3 hours each night. So I do spend a lot of time healing.

So basically, the only things Im actually not healing during are World quests which only take about an hour or so of my time. Aside from that Im healing in mythic+ runs or raiding. Not sure what youre doing differently, but it seems I spend more time healing than dpsing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMonk79 View Post
    do them as a group in your guild. mine does it on occassion. its not too hard to get a handful of guildies together and just burn thru them all.
    Unfortunately I don't have a guild, I was waiting until I got gear and raid ready to apply to one.

And that's why you have an offspec. Doesn't matter if you don't put a single point of AP into it (even though getting one golden dragon is cheap as hell), you can still easily level and do world quests without the traits.

Personally I'm loving healing more than ever. All specs feel pretty well made and interesting this time around, we've got more damage built into our, uh "rotations" so you're never bored, and queues are nonexistant. The only way healing feels bad for me is in pvp.

7+ Year Old Account
    Artifact weapons and the inherent disadvantage of a secondary spec, a dps spec, I would face as a main spec healer was the deciding factor for me in not buying Legion. That issue was closely followed by the similar issue alts experience with regards to artifact weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Honestly after getting good gear (about 850 ilvl} I stopped questing as ret and did WQs and shit as holy. Its so much better. Im on stormrage alliance so its a populated server but I tend to pull a bunch of shit and aoe it down with holy prism and cons while killing things extremely fast single target with CS and HS. Its actually much faster than ret in my experience and I can pull way more and survive.

But its not like Im healing when Im doing world quests as holy, Im still dpsing just in holy spec. So I guess that doesnt really count either.

But I have to disagree. Aside from doing the emissary when I log on, I do a few Ap world quests and Im done with that for the day unless a new one pops up and Im already on. Afterwards I just heal a bunch of mythic+, usually one high level one and a lot of +2/3 for legendary farming. Then I have guild raids on wednesday/thursday for 3 hours each night. So I do spend a lot of time healing.
    I play a holy priest and I'm 805 ilvl. I've just been spamming Normal dungeons because I don't want to do Suramar to unlock Nightfallen rep to unlock world quests, leveling was already really slow and awful as a holy priest and when I got to 110 I just wanted to be able to heal. But nothing really has been dropping in Normal dungeons and I feel like I'm going to probably have to learn how to play as a shadow or I'm never going to get the above done and get any gear.

I actually haven't tried being a Holy paladin though, maybe I will give it a shot. The classes I have tried leveling and questing as are holy/disc priest, resto shaman, and resto druid. Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2016-09-30 at 08:33 PM.

Yeah, but I imagine it would be challenging to set up a leveling experience that only benefits Healers. You kinda have to DPS to get it done, or you just level through dungeons and BG's as heals. I mean, if you're desperate to heal while questing, you could always DPS and heal your Combat Follower

Not the same, I know, but you could also level/quest with friends as heals.
    Very true. But I feel some people won't grasp the concept. This is the Internet after all.

Do it as Disc. Reading some comments in the Priest section, it seems much more viable while out in the world compared to Shadow, due to you not dying easily, while also giving out damge that's relatively on par to it.
    I haven't tried shadow yet, but disc was honestly very slow for me. You are right in that you don't die, though.

I don't know, it could be that I just haven't found the right healing class for me. Like someone said above, they didn't have trouble doing questing content as a holy paladin so maybe that is more of what I'm looking for. I can say for sure that doing quest and world content really blows as a holy and disc priest for me, though.

OP isn't wrong... but this also isn't any different from what the status quo has always been

most healers are much better at soloing in legion than they've been historically (though I guess hpriest is stuck mostly spamming smite)

I've probably spent way more time DPSing than I've spent actually healing this expansion because of how much time I've had to spend doing content on my own to unlock world quests, do the class hall campaign, get Nightfallen rep, doing world quests, etc. Then I can spend a tiny amount of time actually playing the role I enjoy.

I am honestly not surprised that there is a healer shortage this expansion because you pretty much spend barely any time at all getting to play one, and it makes way more sense if you want to get things done efficiently and stay on the same level/progression as most people to just straight up give up on being one and be a DPS.

"Well people complained there wasn't enough to do in WoD!". I get that, and I really appreciate that Blizzard addressed that, I certainly don't hate at all that I have tons of great content to do. But I can't really do any of it as the role I enjoy the most, or if I do it's very slow and boring.

IMO there definitely needs to be more group content in the game outside of dungeons and raids. Maybe bring back group quests, who knows. I just want to heal! The solution to "we need more content" shouldn't just be slap on some more daily quest style content all over the place.
    Maybe you should be asking for role-specific quests. Say something like the world quests where you help a small village from invaders; dps complete it by killing the invaders but Healing specs complete it by healing x number of villagers instead.

I leveled to 110 as a holy paladin in 2 days.

Leveling as a healer was fun, nothing could kill me.

Hopefully you have also spent more time dpsing than healing because primarily your time spent so far has been in dungeons, and the ability healers have to deal damage can make dungeons exponentially easier!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

World Quests and leveling can be done as a Healer. Yes, it does take longer to kill things and you might level more slowly, but it is doable and you can still play the spec you enjoy.
    I don't really understand why someone would level as a healer or do daily quests as a healer unless they are loot quests. The only time I've ever leveled while healing only was when you could dungeon level. Since you have to quest now, you obviously can't do that, but having to do quests isn't the problem, having to do quests while in a heal spec is. Except that isn't a problem, just switch to DPS for questing and back to heals for group like we always did. Legion didn't change that. If anything it made it possible to level in a heal spec but I don't know why anyone would want to do that.

I wonder if Blizzard could one day allow a Healer to have a questing follower that does as much damage as a DPS player would, but also takes more damage, making it so a healer would have to heal them, as the follower did all the DPS work - similar to what Healers did with those scenarios in MoP and WoD (ugh, forget the name) and when we obtained our Artifacts in this xpac.
    It's a pretty interesting concept.

My monk is ilvl 843. I have 15 points in WW, 13 in MW, and 12 in BrM. Having your other specs leveled up is so damn easy, I don't understand why people aren't doing it. I tank tough WQ bosses, heal heroics and mythics, and DPS everything else.

You don't need to do solo content as a healer.