Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Tattoos really... most of the other stuff I can understand but tattoos... lots of people have tattoos lots of high ranking people have tattoos is it only acceptable if you hide them and are ashamed of them in public? I don't have and probably will never have a tattoo btw.
    One of my former co-workers had a tattoo of the initials of his newborn son's name covering the entire side of his forearm. The letters were E.P.T. We all laughed. Needless to say he kept that covered when he realized why we were laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.

One guy had on some sort of loooong t-shirt, kinda pyjama like,with stripes.
    Another guy had a very wide neck on his T-shirt, that was also wrinkly and kinda torn on the edges (I think they sell them like this?) He also worre damaged skinny jeans with holes in them, which I also mentioned to him(your pants are damaged, what happened?) but he told me it's in fashion... >.>

Then there was a girl that had her arms exposed, which is of course no issue at all if they werent completely covered in tattoos. And I counted at least 3 skulls and some disturbing signs.
    Also had a girl with one side of her head shaved and sporting a nose ring and dressed in bright purple.

Luckily not everyone dresses this way to an interview and we had at least 2 girls that came dressed properly but it does make me wonder if these other candidates don't have parents, teachers or someone else in their invormenet that tells them how to dress for an interview.

So why can't some people dress proper?
    because their parents didnt educate them what proper dress code means .

but in general young people this days act like retards - example not long ago i was interviewing one guy for simple working position and this imbecile when i asked him about drivers licence instead telling me no i dont have one answeared "i lost it for drunk driving" like really how retarded can you be to admit it during interview - instead like i dont have it or i had to many points for speed driving.

Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    in office ? ofc it does how can you wonder about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Tattoos really... most of the other stuff I can understand but tattoos... lots of people have tattoos lots of high ranking people have tattoos is it only acceptable if you hide them and are ashamed of them in public? I don't have and probably will never have a tattoo btw.
    in western societies tattos were always associated with savages/prisoners - you may want to pose as social outcast but then dont wonder why nobody wants to hire you for proper job.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2016-10-01 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    Why such an extreme interpretation?

"The guy (or gal) has put some effort into their appearence."

Thats how a reasonably minded individual would respond to someone arriving for a job interview in a suit.
    That's your opinion. You can go try it if you want. Go to a yard with suit and briefcase with your resume in it, and I'll bet you'll be pointed a way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Suits are really expensive for people just coming out of college. Suits for job interviews are rather outdated anyway.
    have fun serving fries at mcdonald then with this kind of attitude .

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    because their parents didnt educate them what proper dress code means .

but in general young people this days act like retards - example not long ago i was interviewing one guy for simple working position and this imbecile when i asked him about drivers licence instead telling me no i dont have one answeared "i lost it for drunk driving" like really how retarded can you be to admit it during interview - instead like i dont have it or i had to many points for speed driving.

in office ? ofc it does how can you wonder about it.

- - - Updated - - -

in western societies tattos were always associated with savages/prisoners - you may want to pose as social outcast but then dont wonder why nobody wants to hire you for proper job.
    But we are in the year 2016. Lots of people have tattoos even high ranking executives have tattoos. that Stigma doesn't exist .

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah becuase unless you wear a suit then you can never get any type of respectable job at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That's your opinion. You can go try it if you want. Go to a yard with suit and briefcase with your resume in it, and I'll bet you'll be pointed a way out.
    I doubt it.

Like addition of the briefcase for additional floursh.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Likely not, but as OP said the jobs were for marketing / front desk. And if you represent a company, the company usually expects a certain dress code of which you should be aware when applying for the job.

And this is not about society being shallow or whatnot. Luckily I work in a business were we can dress as we like every day. The advantage of being an artist. If I want to get strange looks, I come to work in a suit ^^
    Haha, I just got a graphic design job and the prevailing advice was "dark jeans and collared shirt for interviews. And try to make that your basic daily attire, so when you decide to look for a new job you aren't raising questions when you suddenly dress nice to work."

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe you should be the one to apply some critical thinking and change your attitude. What you wear to an interview 100% depends on the industry. I just got counseled by a mentor with 36 years and highly respected in the Communication Design industry, for interviews at some of the top global advertising firms in NYC, not to wear a tie (unless as a personal stylistic choice); and a full suit is definitely too much.

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    What? Unless your going for something top end, no it aint. Shoes, shirt, tie, jacket, pants. 50 quid. At from the prices of the stuff people wear these days, stuff explained by the op, its probably cheaper.
    Here unless you buy second hand you can expect to dish out a minimum of $150 for the suit alone, add shoes, shirt and tie to that and you're looking at a couple of hundred more, on top of that it will look cheap and it won't be very comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

99.9% of the time arriving in a suit for an interview is going to illicit a positive response from the interviwer, I don't really understand how anyone can debate that. At no point at all is arriving in a suit for an interview going to be to the detrimente of the interviewee.
    Depends on the job, if you're applying for a menial job and turn up in a suit, chances are you're not planning on staying at that job for more than a few months and the interviewer knows this and might look for someone else, I know several people in the position to hire people who think like this since it's a common occurrence. Of course your attitude can change this outcome but if you're applying for a job at a fast food chain or grocery store then jeans and t-shirt is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    It's not judgmental if the open positions are front/desk and marketing. Even if it was a job with no customer connection, it wouldn't kill you to dress a certain way once; HR stalks your social media anyway and know how you will probably show up at work.
    Not to be argumentative, but I would counter that not only is it judgemental, that's kinda what interviews are all about. 20 people show up for 5 job positions, and it's up to the hiring manager to (wait for it...) judge who's the best candidate for the position.

I would counter that even in non-customer facing positions, if you are competing for a job, and your judgement tells you to dress up like you didn't give the interview a 2nd thought, they'll question your judgement. If you dress sloppily and are generally unkempt to show you really don't care about how you look, then they question will you care about how your production looks. Will your work be just as sloppy?

It's a crap shot to be sure, but first impressions are always important. Everyone makes a judgement of everyone else upon first glance, so while you are hoping to get someone who isn't controlled too much by their initial reaction, you want to give yourself as much possibility to succeed.

Also, this isn't new. I knew a hiring manager 20 years ago who said the 20-somethings did the same thing back then. I would suspect this has more to do with youth, immaturity, and naivete. Over the years as you see more and more people who are better dressed getting picked over you, the idea starts to sink in, "I should wear a pressed shirt to these things...".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caelia View Post
    Depends on the job, if you're applying for a menial job and turn up in a suit, chances are you're not planning on staying at that job for more than a few months and the interviewer knows this and might look for someone else, I know several people in the position to hire people who think like this since it's a common occurrence. Of course your attitude can change this outcome but if you're applying for a job at a fast food chain or grocery store then jeans and t-shirt is more than enough.
    I would agree to this (mostly). The general rule of thumb is to dress one level higher than the standard dress would you be wearing in that position.

If they wear jeans and t-shirts to work, show up in khakis and a collared pull-over. They they wear collared pullovers, wear a button up shirt. If they wear button up shirts, put on a tie. If they wear ties as their normal dress, show up in a suit.

99.9% of the time arriving in a suit for an interview is going to illicit a positive response from the interviwer, I don't really understand how anyone can debate that. At no point at all is arriving in a suit for an interview going to be to the detrimente of the interviewee.
    I don't understand what you don't understand about situational,

I'd say about 90% of jobs you go to an interview with, yes you should wear a suit and do your best to appear smart / formal / make an effort what ever you want to call it,

But like I said in my example, I'd of been laughed at if I turned up to a laboring job in a suit,
    Your local cafe wouldn't expect you to be in a suit for a interview for serving coffee, some might like it, others wouldn't, most probably wouldn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I don't understand what you don't understand about situational,

I'd say about 90% of jobs you go to an interview with, yes you should wear a suit and do your best to appear smart / formal / make an effort what ever you want to call it,

But like I said in my example, I'd of been laughed at if I turned up to a laboring job in a suit,
    Your local cafe wouldn't expect you to be in a suit for a interview for serving coffee, some might like it, others wouldn't, most probably wouldn't care.

I do understand situational, and I understand you're point. 90% of the time wearing a suit is to your advantage, but as is MMO-Champs posters want, we're focusing-in on the 10% in an attempt to dismiss the OP.

I do understand situational, and I understand you're point. 90% of the time wearing a suit is to your advantage, but as is MMO-Champs posters want, we're focusing-in on the 10% in an attempt to dismiss the OP.
    You made a generalized claim, and that has been the focus of dispute. Allow me to refresh your memory:

By wearing a suit, or smart dress of some kind, but prefferably a suit, you're eliminating any judgement the interviewer can make on you via their first impression.

It gives both you and the interviewer a level playing field upon which the interview can be conducted, without prejudice.
    You didn't talk how it's true X Z amount of times, you stated it as fact at all times.

22 year old here;
    Because they don't REALLY want the job. When I am trying to get something I truly want, I find every possible way to get it. If its an interview, not bothering to dress nice shows that this job isn't a big deal to you; you won't even try to look your best when meeting the guy who decides whether or not you get the job. When I had a college interview I showed up in a suit, forex interview I showed up in a suit, when I had an internship interview I showed up in a suit, and second internship I showed up in a suit. Its not about being rebellious or your expression. When you really want something that bad, screw your expression and look your best. Clearly they didn't want the job bad enough.

Side note: I wasn't declined at any of those interviews.

Regardless of what you end up wearing at work, whether you're a burger flipper or front desk sales job, wear a suit to the interview. It shows that you care. And if you don't wear a suit to a job interview, when the fuck do you wear your suit? 0.0 I take it they sport their t-shirt and ripped jeans to weddings and funerals as well.

Wearing a t-shirt and ripped jeans to a McDonalds interview says: I'm here because my mom wants me to get a job. Wearing a suit to a McDonalds interview says: I'm here to do a great job flipping burgers while I pay my way through my MBA.
    Last edited by Teaklog; 2016-10-01 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything is artificially prolonging the game, it's called the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Does the way they dress affect their work performance? Are they worse people because of the way they dress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Zarupia View Post
    because buying a suit is expensive.
    pretty much, Judging people only on first appearance is just petty, sure, it can give a glimpse of a person's work ethic, but its not a 100% guarantee of how much effort they would put into your company. Suits arent exactly easy or cheap to come by, especially for someone who is unemployed and looking for a job.

Please keep a note of that bolded part, its easy to look the part once youre in the system, its near impossible to get in before you have someone open the door for you first.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Just had 5 interviews this morning (1 marketing/ 1 front desk) and it amazes me how some young people (in their 20's) present themselves in a job interview.

Another guy had a very wide neck on his T-shirt, that was also wrinkly and kinda torn on the edges (I think they sell them like this?) He also worre damaged skinny jeans with holes in them, which I also mentioned to him(your pants are damaged, what happened?) but he told me it's in fashion... >.>

Then there was a girl that had her arms exposed, which is of course no issue at all if they werent completely covered in tattoos. And I counted at least 3 skulls and some disturbing signs.
    Also had a girl with one side of her head shaved and sporting a nose ring and dressed in bright purple.

Luckily not everyone dresses this way to an interview and we had at least 2 girls that came dressed properly but it does make me wonder if these other candidates don't have parents, teachers or someone else in their invormenet that tells them how to dress for an interview.

Im curious, what job are they applying for? a beauty contest?
    Surely their work experience and education are far more important than what clothes they are wearing?

You don't need an expensive suit for a job interview unless you're applying for a high ranking position or at a law firm or something like that. Making sure you're well groomed and wearing khaki pants and a button down shirt, tie, belt, and decent looking shoes should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    pretty much, Judging people only on first appearance is just petty, sure, it can give a glimpse of a person's work ethic, but its not a 100% guarantee of how much effort they would put into your company. Suits arent exactly easy or cheap to come by, especially for someone who is unemployed and looking for a job.

Please keep a note of that bolded part, its easy to look the part once youre in the system, its near impossible to get in before you have someone open the door for you first.
    The kinds of jobs the OP described are the kinds of jobs that you at least require a degree for. If you can afford a college degree you can spend $100 dollars at a suit sale at Nordstrom racks. Literally there are suit sales year round at every mall.

Imo it helps show their character. From the point of view of someone applying for these sorts of things, you should be trying to use every opportunity you have to get that job. If you come to the interview in ripped jeans and a t-shirt you are showing that you can't be bothered to throw on some nice clothes for this interview. He could have at least apologized for not looking the part, because he just came from his construction job or w/e. Something that shows you don't really believe ripped jeans and a t-shirt is appropriate attire to a job interview. Because its not. Not in the corporate environment. Sorry, but thats how it is. When their resume is so good that they can wear whatever, thats great, come dressed like a bum, but otherwise you're competing with other people exactly like you for the same job. Either they couldn't afford a suit (somehow) or they believed coming dressed like that would be an advantage. If they are trying to make a statement, the only statement that is being made is that you are going to be a new hire that tries to immediate change the environment. See the news article of the interns who petitioned the dress code.

If, like others have stated, it were for a more creative job like an artist, it would be a little different, however for this job its not.

Tldr; They don't have to hire you. Make them want to hire you. Dressing nice shows that you want them to hire you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Im curious, what job are they applying for? a beauty contest?
    Surely their work experience and education are far more important than what clothes they are wearing?

Because its a front desk job. So yes, they are essentially applying for a beauty contest.

And for many jobs, there are 10,000 other people, with the exact same education and the same if not better work experience, and they will wear a suit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm mostly wondering what the expression on their face was when they found out they even got an interview. Clearly they weren't too excited...
    Last edited by Teaklog; 2016-10-01 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Everything is artificially prolonging the game, it's called the game

I'm mostly wondering what the expression on their face was when they found out the even got an interview. Clearly they weren't too excited...
    I'm willing to bet that they didn't want it, or wanted it just so they can go and get declined.

Deleted
    Dress for occasion should be common sense. A job interview is a formal meeting so dressing formally should be your default. If you don't have a suit then you do the best with what you got. If that's jeans and a tucked in shirt then so be it. It's easy to see if someone has tried even if they're not technically wearing appropriate clothes, that's usually enough. I personally think it's faggotry to the highest degree but it's the game you gotta play.

Deleted
    Interesting to see so many different views on the subject.

I hired the two women that presented themselves by appearing professional in the way they dressed. I think they werent any better or worse than the other applicants but the way they presented themselves made the difference in the end.