Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Are Brewmasters Really This Underplayed?

So for the 3rd time this week I've been in a group where every person in it said I am the first Brewmaster they've seen throughout the expansion so far. Has this been the case for any of you other Brewmasters out there? It's pretty crazy to think that Brewmasters are this underplayed.

It is definitely underplayed due to bad press coming out of beta about the class and a ton of rerolls to other tanks. I play WW main but tank as BM alot and it just seems like alot of work for not as much reward as the other tanks. The DPS is kinda meh and dmg intake can still be spikey even with IB up all the time. It is hard to convince healers that I may spike down to 35% or so, but I am alot harder to kill once i hit the 35% threshold.

Brewmaster has the most work of any tank in the game currently. We are definitely underplayed, if not THE most underplayed spec right now. It's interesting... some healers say I'm the easiest to heal while others say I am the most difficult to keep up. I don't know if it's that some healers don't understand how our spec plays or what. I do personally find it annoying in between pulls my health continues to plummet because of Stagger

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Brewmaster has the most work of any tank in the game currently. We are definitely underplayed, if not THE most underplayed spec right now. It's interesting... some healers say I'm the easiest to heal while others say I am the most difficult to keep up. I don't know if it's that some healers don't understand how our spec plays or what. I do personally find it annoying in between pulls my health continues to plummet because of Stagger
    I think some healers mechanic are better suited for us, I think hot bases classes are better because it's easier for them to simply stabilize us at a certain health % so that we maximize our orb production
    (my anecdotal opinion, so I may be wrong)

have you noticed if that comment about being hard, comes from specific classes?

7+ Year Old Account
    I see a ton of Brewmasters running around my order hall... lol. I've never been grouped with one in the many dungeons I've run. Like other's have said, they're a little undertuned and have to try too hard to achieve the same effect as other tanks. I still like BrM though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    I think some healers mechanic are better suited for us, I think hot bases classes are better because it's easier for them to simply stabilize us at a certain health % so that we maximize our orb production
    (my anecdotal opinion, so I may be wrong)

have you noticed if that comment about being hard, comes from specific classes?
    FWIW I finally got to heal few BRMs in my regular mythics this week as MW, of course people are starting to overgear that content (I'm 855 in my healing gear) but I had no trouble keeping them at nearly full health with just enveloping + renewing mists on them to offset any stagger damage. With my very limited sample size I would certainly pick a BRM over a DH who can still take big spikes even in regular mythics.

Mythic+ dungeon groups seem to be exclusively tanked by prot warriors, for obvious reasons.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of happens when you have a Tank that is both boring to play and requires more maintenance than other tanks to not die instantly.

According the the armory I did 80+ dungeons, and I've seen one brewmaster.

I used to main a Brewmaster in MoP (awesome) and WoD (still quite good). I switched to another tank due tot he changes they did to the class. In the pre-release patch, I tried to play with the new talents/skills and found it unappealing, I mean it was not fun and I don't understand how that version could have gotten the green light from developers. No more Guard (now prot war have a better version), no more Shuffle, no chi to manage, no Chi Explosion, no Dyzzing Haze, Changed Expel Harm, lost Touch of Death and all we got was 2 beers, that even share charges.

All you need to do now is game around Ironskin Brew, swear to hell and back about uncleanseable stagger (why did they change purify?) and use orbs at 35%, yay? The only good thing about Brewmasters in Legion is the weapon skin, that's gorgeous, but it's not enough to make me play it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I like the new version as its simple and effective (just needs more damage atm). Cleanse staggers when you need and expel harm they're mean.

Having one of the best looking relics in game also helps me enjoy it more.

Just need to finish my WW (only 3 points away from the 3rd golden trait) weapon before I finish the Brm weapon
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I was just looking at raid logs and here's the breakdown on Heroic:

And Mythic:

Here's mythic HFC (WoD version) for comparison:

And here's pie charts for better visualizing the data:

Take from that what you will.
    Last edited by Hitmonchan; 2016-10-04 at 03:05 AM.

I've run many heroic and some mythics and i've yet to see a Brewmaster.
    I'm currently playing MW.
    pane, nutella e demon hunter

I was the 16th monk tank in the world to kill mythic renferal. By that time already over 120 prot warriors had recorded a kill. Speaking of which, this was the post I made in another thread on the 30th of September

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    BrM sucks right now and everyone (except blizzard apparently) knows it. Just look at warcraft logs to see the tank representation from mythic nythendra. It's roughly 9 warrior tanks (highest represented class) to 1 monk tank (lowest represented class). I did a tally up before I went to bed 9 hours ago and 15 monk tanks had killed mythic nythendra versus 129 warrior tanks, 100 paladin tanks, 115 bear tanks, 67 dh tanks and 51 blood tanks. FIFTEEN fucking monk tanks. That's just....amazing in a whole new level of retarded balance.
    As you can guess I was p Pissed at the class representation at the time :P
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Deleted
    I was tanking in MoP and most of WoD, but in Legion I rarely touch the spec. Maybe if noone's available for a radom heroic. And even then I prefer healing the dungeon. They completely destroyed everything I liked about brewmaster and it is not the spec I fell in love with anymore.

Can I tank heroics and mythics? Of course I can, with 857 ilv who could not, but there isn't any fun in it. I don't feel like I'm in control at all. For me it started with the removal of clash, with Legion the oh so famous class identity is completely gone.

I enjoyed Windwalker so far, but I cleared content except for mythic and I had never any interest in it. My account went inactive on friday and I honestly have no interest in grinding another class to 110, let alone reputation and AP.

Deleted
    Played Monk through MoP / WoD and I can say i pretty much hate the new gameplay. Removing both Expel Harm and Guard is too much I think.
    That 50% purify is so unintuitive. The class is really not fun to play and underperforming compared to warrior / druid. Why bother ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjouz View Post
    Played Monk through MoP / WoD and I can say i pretty much hate the new gameplay. Removing both Expel Harm and Guard is too much I think.
    That 50% purify is so unintuitive. The class is really not fun to play and underperforming compared to warrior / druid. Why bother ?
    This.

They took the most enjoyable tank spec in game and threw it to wolves. I am primarly WW, so I can tank only trivial content (rhc, regular mythics) w/o any brm artifact traits, but in comparison to my other toon brm looks like half doned prot pally. Even brm dps is abysmal.

I enjoy my BrM. I find healers in Heroics have a harder time healing me than healers in mythic plus. My buddy is a holy priest and he understands how to heal a BrM b/c of the many many heroics, mythic plus and raids we have done together. On the other hand when I queue for tank satchels I've had healers leave b/c a BrM was the tank. BrMs just got a 5% increase on stagger but unless a crazy change to the class (like guard) comes I don't think the bad press will go away. It's sad b/c I know there are others like me that play this class well and have a hard time getting picked up for a PUG raid or mythic plus just b/c the community views our tanking class sub-par.

Deleted
    Yes.

MW is fine.
    WW plays fine although the numbers are ultimately middle of the pack only.

BM does not play fine, without RJW the playstyle is pretty annoying imo.

Deleted
    I think as always change scares some people off, yes it isn't the way it used to be and its a weird playstyle to get used to.

But overall I'm still really enjoying it, yes we gotta work probably twice as hard as other tanks but that's what I enjoy about it, I ain't asleep at the wheel running on autopilot. Having no guard is really odd but the two changes I really feel we need to help us get on par are simple.

1 - dps...we're a fair bit behind
    2 - PB....please let me clear more stagger : /

Other than that, I enjoy the rotation and can do M+ easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjouz View Post
    I must say i completely agree with this. I loved brewmaster in MoP and WoD, but these changes really put me off...
    For example I dislike the new expel harm, the artifact ability feels a bit dissapointing for its cooldown and the new form of AM is awful imo. I'm not saying it's bad, it just feels bad. We basically replaced guard and elusive brew with more stagger and a worse purifying brew. So that leaves us with a shitton of stagger, a 50% purifying brew, 1 long cd and an annoying heal.
    Don't even get me started on the clunky rotation and blackout strike which is basically the least interesting ability in the game with an optional talent.

To not continue a badly worded rant, I'm basically just really dissapointed with blizzard ruining a really fun spec.

Luckily there is still WW and a vengeance alt to tank

PS: Where is my chi?
    Last edited by Caspyy; 2016-10-04 at 11:52 AM.