Thread: [TV] Westworld

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Alright, this has always driven me absolutely nuts, because we've been over this again and again: we don't need to do the spoiler tags on episodes that have already been released.
    Maybe you should read the forum guidelines again;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rum-Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    4. Clearly label spoilers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    With regards to spoilers:

We've now added a neat function to vbulletin: spoiler tags.

If you're spoiling something, use the [ spoiler][/spoiler] tags.

Looks like this spoiler, click it to see spoiler.
    And, yes, discussing an episode that aired just hours earlier is absolutely, definitely still a spoiler. The thread title doesn't have the spoiler warning in it, so you use the spoiler tags.

Look, if you want to go against this, feel free. I won't. I'll be spoiler tagging every single word I deem a spoiler, and that's the end of it. Feel free to be driven nuts.

Also, if the spoiler tags bother you, get a custom CSS addon for your browser and modify the CSS on span.spoiler to something more your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Pretty good pilot, curious to see where things will go from here. However, my main concern is how they are going to stretch the plot to 5 seasons, since it seems like it could easily be an one season show if it was so inclined.
    The first season is a measly 10 episodes. You can basically fit 10 episodes in one day if you want to. Hell, 24 fit 24 episodes in a single day. Doing 50 episodes in this world is a piece of cake, not a problem at all.

Although, I'm not sure where you get the 5 seasons from, though. Have they said they're aiming for that, or is it just some random number you came up with? 8 seasons typically is the goal, as that's when shows tend to go to syndication, although this being HBO I'm not sure that's the case; I'm not that knowledgeable about that whole thing. It could run for three, four seasons. Galactica only had four, although it had 75 episodes total.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about source material.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-04 at 02:09 AM.

Did a HBO Now free trial just to check this out.

The I robot vibe I got from this was insane, Can't wait to see episode 2. Waiting to see if there is more stuff on HBO I want to see before subbing.

Spent most of my life never watching HBO I guess its catch up time LOL.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Just saw it... holy hell. 10/10. Never seen anything like it, maybe I'll check the original 1973 movie afterwards though. This is quality.

Deleted
    I wonder what happens if a guest shoots a guest?

Great friggin pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I wonder what happens if a guest shoots a guest?

Great friggin pilot.
    I assume guests can't be hurt rather than hosts being unable to hurt them. Seems like problems would come up all the time if guests could hurt other guests.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The first season is a measly 10 episodes. You can basically fit 10 episodes in one day if you want to. Hell, 24 fit 24 episodes in a single day. Doing 50 episodes in this world is a piece of cake, not a problem at all.

Although, I'm not sure where you get the 5 seasons from, though. Have they said they're aiming for that, or is it just some random number you came up with? 8 seasons typically is the goal, as that's when shows tend to go to syndication, although this being HBO I'm not sure that's the case; I'm not that knowledgeable about that whole thing. It could run for three, four seasons. Galactica only had four, although it had 75 episodes total.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about source material.
    Not really convinced by the first thing you said, and about the other: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/9/128...-james-marsden

Deleted
    Not really convinced by the first thing you said, and about the other: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/9/128...-james-marsden
    Well, umm... If they already have plotted out five seasons, then that's conclusive proof that there's enough source material there to make five seasons, and there's nothing to debate.

And, uhh, about the "first thing I said", I don't need to convince you that you can fit 10 episodes into a single day. The show 24 has done that for eight seasons of 24 episodes, one season of 12 episodes, and yet another upcoming season of 12 episodes with another lead. Each season takes place during a single 24 hour window. Sure the consecutive seasons weren't that amazing, but the first season was decent enough, and even if one didn't like it, it changes nothing.

This show can easily run for 50 episodes, without breaking a sweat as far as "stretching the plot" goes.

Well, umm... If they already have plotted out five seasons, then that's conclusive proof that there's enough source material there to make five seasons, and there's nothing to debate.

And, uhh, about the "first thing I said", I don't need to convince you that you can fit 10 episodes into a single day. The show 24 has done that for eight seasons of 24 episodes, one season of 12 episodes, and yet another upcoming season of 12 episodes with another lead. Each season takes place during a single 24 hour window. Sure the consecutive seasons weren't that amazing, but the first season was decent enough, and even if one didn't like it, it changes nothing.

This show can easily run for 50 episodes, without breaking a sweat as far as "stretching the plot" goes.
    24 and Westworld are entirely different beasts. The premise for Westworld makes it very much seem like the plot could be stretched to dullness.

Deleted
    I assume guests can't be hurt rather than hosts being unable to hurt them. Seems like problems would come up all the time if guests could hurt other guests.
    Did some reading up.. In the movie the weapons had temperature sensors. Since the androids are coldblooded, the weapons could distinguish between guest and android. That doesn´t mean it is how they will do it here though, but was the best I could find...

Wonder if they will eventually add medieval world and Roman World as in the original....

Personally I would love Viking World (early and middle viking age) or Mobster world (1920s chicago) if I could try something like that.. Maybe Crusader world.

Arrow you danish like me?

Deleted
    24 and Westworld are entirely different beasts. The premise for Westworld makes it very much seem like the plot could be stretched to dullness.
    "Could" is a convenient word in that anything "can" happen, but other than that, this is just your opinion. I have a completely opposite opinion, and I'm guessing neither one of us is a writer for a TV show, so what the hell do we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Did some reading up.. In the movie the weapons had temperature sensors. Since the androids are coldblooded, the weapons could distinguish between guest and android. That doesn´t mean it is how they will do it here though, but was the best I could find...

Wonder if they will eventually add medieval world and Roman World as in the original....

Personally I would love Viking World (early and middle viking age) or Mobster world (1920s chicago) if I could try something like that.. Maybe Crusader world.

Arrow you danish like me?
    If it is all in the weapons, wouldn't that mean guests could still be killed some other way, like getting hanged or hit with a knife?

Different worlds could be interesting, but the show is called Westworld, so I don't know how that would work.

And yes I'm Danish.

- - - Updated - - -

"Could" is a convenient word in that anything "can" happen, but other than that, this is just your opinion. I have a completely opposite opinion, and I'm guessing neither one of us is a writer for a TV show, so what the hell do we know.
    Of course it is my opinion, just airing what I think is the most obvious pitfall the show could fall in if it continues for seasons on end, unless the show changes a lot from its initial premise.

On the show itself, Does Dolores being able to kill that fly mean she is secretly defect? Since they talk a lot about how the androids "literally couldn't hurt a fly"?
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2016-10-04 at 12:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the episode. Super intense. I think it kind of felt a little like Jurassic Park, only this time, you're rooting for the dinosaurs, not the people.

- - - Updated - - -

On the show itself, Does Dolores being able to kill that fly mean she is secretly defect? Since they talk a lot about how the androids "literally couldn't hurt a fly"?
    In the previous scene, the technician asked her a series of questions, which included the following:

"Have you ever questioned the nature of your world?"
    "No."
    "Have you ever lied to us?"
    "No."
    "Have you ever hurt a living thing?"
    "Of course not."

The fact that she then kills a fly is a clear indication that she's deceiving the Westworld technicians, and that there's a lot more going on with her.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Watched it again, the movement of all of the hosts is so unnerving lol. Old Bill was very obvious in his movements, which was creepy as shit, but it was obvious with him being such an old model. But even the modern hosts, sometimes they have this movement to them while they're going about their scripted life, that really really looks robotic. Even out in the "real world." It's just creepy! The attention to detail is what's blowing my mind so far.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The boss talking about how the "corporation" was interested in using the robots for something other than entertainment. Maybe she was saying that the military was interested?

Or maybe some kind of slave thing?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If it is all in the weapons, wouldn't that mean guests could still be killed some other way, like getting hanged or hit with a knife?

Different worlds could be interesting, but the show is called Westworld, so I don't know how that would work.

And yes I'm Danish.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it is my opinion, just airing what I think is the most obvious pitfall the show could fall in if it continues for seasons on end, unless the show changes a lot from its initial premise.

Well, we are one episode in, and it's highly unlikely that the same day will play out with weird random variations. This definitely has a feel of going from order to mindfucking chaos in the span of 10 episodes. I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

Deleted
    Alright, this has always driven me absolutely nuts, because we've been over this again and again: we don't need to do the spoiler tags on episodes that have already been released.
    Not everyone lives in America. In the UK, it's being shown tonight (Tuesday 4th October). I'm grateful to the people using spoiler tags for their courtesy.

Was watching a review show and one of those commentors made an offhand remark of how in the original Westworld movie, there were three parks: Westworld, Roman World and Medieval World. How much of a mindfuck would it be if one of the characters breaks through to Medieval World and in a grand reveal it's Westeros (the setting of Game of Thrones to the two of you who don't know what Westeros is)?

Deleted
    While it's certainly not necessarily the case that the show follows it's plot completely, it would be appreciated if people didn't spoil the movie that this show has been adapted from either, seeing as though a lot of us haven't watched it. I'm trying my best to avert my eyes from what the guy above me just said about the movie, but if you don't mind guy above me (and everyone else as well), please put it in spoiler tags.

Let me just point it out again: this show was adapted from the movie whose events you're spoiling, so there's a high likelihood that you're spoiling the show as well. Please use the spoiler tags.

Was watching a review show and one of those commentors made an offhand remark of how in the original Westworld movie, there were three parks: Westworld, Roman World and Medieval World. How much of a mindfuck would it be if one of the characters breaks through to Medieval World and in a grand reveal it's Westeros (the setting of Game of Thrones to the two of you who don't know what Westeros is)?
    I imagine it was Collider TV Talk you watched. And that would be the dumbest thing ever, in my humble opinion of course.

I imagine it was Collider TV Talk you watched. And that would be the dumbest thing ever, in my humble opinion of course.
    No you're right, that is the worst idea I've ever heard.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    While it's certainly not necessarily the case that the show follows it's plot completely, it would be appreciated if people didn't spoil the movie that this show has been adapted from either, seeing as though a lot of us haven't watched it.
    Sorry this movie is 43 years and and you want people not to spoil it for you? then go and watch it and dont come to this thread.

I'm trying my best to avert my eyes from what the guy above me just said about the movie, but if you don't mind guy above me (and everyone else as well), please put it in spoiler tags.
    Not gonna happen.

I thought it was interesting that instead of starting with the point of view of visitors (as done in the movie), they started with the point of view of one of the robots.
    As one who watched the movie in his childhood and like Yul very much this show seems interesting.
    What I dont get why keep taken out robots in a huge hall instead of taking them apart or destroying them? (thats probably to much my business point of view)
    This really screams for something bad to happen.