Thread: BS vs AWS ST

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

BS vs AWS ST

I'm seeing in a lot of high parses on ST fights, that DKs are still running BS over AWS. Even without the bracers. For me, at ~27% crit, comparing only the damage affected by the talents, I'm seeing that AWS does 25% more than the bonus damage from BS.

Is there a point at which BS is a stronger talent than AWS for ST, even without the bracers? Do you just need even more crit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbrother View Post
    I'm seeing in a lot of high parses on ST fights, that DKs are still running BS over AWS. Even without the bracers. For me, at ~27% crit, comparing only the damage affected by the talents, I'm seeing that AWS does 25% more than the bonus damage from BS.

Is there a point at which BS is a stronger talent than AWS for ST, even without the bracers? Do you just need even more crit?
    As far i know BS is betetr for ST with the bracers else AWS is better.

I believe around 35% criticize BS starts getting better. Also, the skulker is kind if weird. If you run away, such as for rot on Nythendra, he'll stop attacking and run away with you.

I thought even though he's moving, he's technically always casting?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DagrDK View Post
    I thought even though he's moving, he's technically always casting?
    Yes, he always casts.

When you're switching targets, dropping gunk somewhere far or otherwise not sitting on the boss BS does nothing. From my experiences AWS is a more reliable constant source of damage in ST

Even on multi-target fights, I think AWS is better.

• Dragons: Rarely am I cleaving things. BS was ~1% of my damage, versus the 10%+ AWS gives me on other fights.
    • Elerethe: Again, little cleave here. The ranged mostly takes care of the adds, as we wait for them to get to a certain position and I'm not going to sit around waiting for them only for them to die in 3 seconds. DnD + SS spam is probably more dps anyways with how short they live. Even if you pick the first target to die for your festering strike (unlikely), the dps is going to suck. It was less than 1% of my parse.
    • Ilgynoth: The cleave actually gets me yelled at here. I'm trying to smack down a tentacle when someone drags a billion oozes through the melee and they're suddenly dropping hp. Now I'm getting yelled at, but what am I gonna do, run away instead of do dps? Spam FS until the tentacle dies? Even when the oozes are supposed to die, epidemic keeps you safe, and if you don't want to take that SS spam is better dps with their short life span. Especially since they don't technically 'die' at 0 health, so you can't pick a low one, FS, and let those wounds burst.
    • Cenarius: This one was actually 5% of my parse! But that's still less damage than AWS tends to do. There's only two good cleave opportunities with our strat. On the first add group when the dragon is next to the tree dude, and when there's two dryads. I don't count the double dragons as good, because it's best to focus one at a time. Hell, the first dragon add is the same. It's better to have AWS get it down faster than to do a little extra cleave to the tree.
    • Xavius: The cleave on the big add just isn't worth having the extra single target dps. It's such a small part of the fight.

Really I don't see much use for BS unless there's 3+ adds (maybe more?) and they live longer than 10 seconds (because SS spam while DnD is up seems to be more dps, especially if the adds don't live long).

Pwf, you have to consider that BS also makes your FW do 50% more damage when they pop. Simply looking at the damage from bursting sores in logs is misleading.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do pretty comparable DPS with BS and AWS to the point where if I'm lazy I cba to even go out of raid and change to AWS because I know I will just have to go BS again on trash.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Quote Originally Posted by Saybel View Post
    I do pretty comparable DPS with BS and AWS to the point where if I'm lazy I cba to even go out of raid and change to AWS because I know I will just have to go BS again on trash.
    This is exactly the way I think about it hah. Until tomes are cheaper I'm sticking to bursting sores for pretty much all fights except for dragons and neth

Deleted
    you don't need tomes to respecc, just use deathgate.

Quote Originally Posted by 0verdose View Post
    This is exactly the way I think about it hah. Until tomes are cheaper I'm sticking to bursting sores for pretty much all fights except for dragons and neth
    Switch to Frost for trash. Works wonders.

If you dont have legendary wrist aws is better ofc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mortia View Post
    you don't need tomes to respecc, just use deathgate.
    gotta deathgate back, cba to wait 1 minute

the difference is almost negligible. it's maybe 1% DPS, you will see bigger swings from RNG
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    When you're switching targets, dropping gunk somewhere far or otherwise not sitting on the boss BS does nothing. From my experiences AWS is a more reliable constant source of damage in ST
    Best logic ever. Worked for mythic Nyth :-) I ran out and skulker kept shooting
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Quote Originally Posted by jSewell View Post
    I believe around 35% criticize BS starts getting better. Also, the skulker is kind if weird. If you run away, such as for rot on Nythendra, he'll stop attacking and run away with you.
    You'd need at least 45-50% crit for BS to exceed AWS, assuming you're running SI or Necrosis and don't have bracers. At ~40% crit AWS was still consistently better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by friedmudkipz View Post
    You'd need at least 45-50% crit for BS to exceed AWS, assuming you're running SI or Necrosis and don't have bracers. At ~40% crit AWS was still consistently better for me.
    Consistently better on all fights? The little guy does some solid damage, that's for sure. What's painful is I have the two legendary perk almost done and don't even have 1 :-(

I'm going to sim it tonight for fun. AWS/SI vs. BS/IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisppo View Post
    Pwf, you have to consider that BS also makes your FW do 50% more damage when they pop. Simply looking at the damage from bursting sores in logs is misleading.
    Oh yeah, derp. Still though, that only adds another 4.5% on my dragons parse. So the fight it comes the closest to AWS would be Cenarius, but I still think more single target is better than cleave on that fight.

AWS is great, it scales with WDPS, Haste, Crit, and Vers. Does dmg when we can't and its Cleave/AoE is passive and always active with zero setup. I run AWS/Cast/SR for all fights and only swap from Epi to PP for Neth/Ursoc.

In Heroic, the only fight I can really see BS being useful is Xavius. Adds don't seem to last long enough on Cenarius, to really be worth it. They don't last long enough on Xavius either, except for padding tentacles at the end.

Of course with the bracers, BS > AWS in ST, so all the additional cleave damage is free damage. But without bonus cleave damage, you can really feel the low (unpadded) numbers, and strong passive cleave is something DK has typically enjoyed.