Deleted

Holy performing bad in raids

Hi,
    I'm a Holy Priest and I play in a raid with 1 holy pala, 2 resto druids and 1 resto shaman. I noticed my heals are very uneffective despite my item level being 853 and my stats in order of priority (mastery>crit etc). They can easily reach 250k-300k while I'm stuck around 150k-190k when I push hard (depleting my mana pool). I noticed there are many controversial opinions on how to play Holy Priest (talents and rotations), so i would like to hear from good players: what do you use and rely on? Is renew still a filler or should I replace it with Flash Heal? Is Circle of Healing still worth using? I'm very confused....and very angry because I feel crippled! Please help a desperate girl, I wanna raid!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't healed much as Holy in Legion, but you should mostly use Heal as your filler. Renew should be used on tanks and on targets when Heal alone isn't enough. Renew-blanketing isn't viable, I think.

Circle of Healing should still be okay for raid damage. Other than that, I don't really know.
    "We don't care what people say, we know the truth. Enough is enough with this horse s***. I am not a freak, I was born with my free gun. Don't tell me I'm less than my freedom."

Holy can definitely compete with the other healers in your group. Renew is crap, other than using it on the tanks I wouldn't use it at all unless you're trying to heal on the move. Circle of healing is also not worth giving up Apotheosis for, Apoth is just way too good. I think what's happening is that the other healers in your group are sniping some of the healing on people you are also healing, try to plan what spells/cds your gonna use ahead of time and you'll do just fine. But if you find yourself spamming renew on people often that's probably where your biggest problem is. Flash Heal, Prayer of Mending, and Prayer of Healing should be probably your most used spells.

You will get better feedback if you post logs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eace View Post
    Haven't healed much as Holy in Legion, but you should mostly use Heal as your filler. Renew should be used on tanks and on targets when Heal alone isn't enough. Renew-blanketing isn't viable, I think.

Circle of Healing should still be okay for raid damage. Other than that, I don't really know.
    heal is just so slow...I mean while I cast it, the other druids have already healed-...

- - - Updated - - -

I think I don't get how to use Apoth then..I just donm't grab it. Plus i is a 3-min cooldown, it seems so lame

- - - Updated - - -

sure , I will

Holy is doing just fine. but it seems like you run with a lot of healers, it's limited how much healing is really needed. and like Spiritsurge said, Flash Heal, Prayer of Mending and Prayer of Healing should be your most used heals, and then you Holy words on CD pretty much, unless you have the serendipity legendary. you shouldn't have problems with mana, and then you can always fish for SoL procs with smite or heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikki View Post
    heal is just so slow...I mean while I cast it, the other druids have already healed-...

- - - Updated - - -

I think I don't get how to use Apoth then..I just donm't grab it. Plus i is a 3-min cooldown, it seems so lame

- - - Updated - - -

sure , I will
    Apoth IS a 3 minute CD but it effectively lets you use your very strong 1 min cd's around 3-5 times in a 30 second period which can be huge. Circle of Healing isn't bad necessarily but it's not good manawise and essentially is just a slightly stronger Prayer of Healing.

Have you read through Jak's guide and/or watched his video? https://automaticjak.com/guides/holy

Another very effective playstyle is the "whack-a-mole" with high crit and lots of flash healing.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

How2priest has good guides and infos. https://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8666

I struggled myself with my undergeared normal raid but some changes in talents helped a lot. My spec was basically single target healing when I really needed AoE healing. Halo and Circle of Healing are excellent for this as they quickly put undergeared players with low hp pools out of the danger zone. I barely use Renew, just on tanks and I Flash Heal nearly every GCD as filler. Trail of Light is like beacon if you manage it and the instant procs can be triggered much quicker than with Heal. Callouts to players that they should run to you for an instant Holy Word: Sanctify or having better positioning in the first place is also really important.

If you do progression raiding treat every encounter where you haven't run out of mana as a failure. Most of the mana is eaten by group heals so you can even use Prayer of Healing as your filler spell for 2-3 bursts after you have chained Halo/CoH/Sanctify. The AoE burst heal is really good and in high demand with the current design in raid damage. I'm not a fan of Prayer of Mending but keeping it on cooldown on the tank heals a lot even though it's hard to track. Renew and PoM combo gets better with passives but I'm not there yet so I'm not sure how it works out. My estimate is that Renew will still be a waste of GCD.
    Last edited by enzi; 2016-10-07 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maikki View Post

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

sure , I will
    If healers are fighting over each other's heals, your raid team has more than you need and someone'/s output will suffer as a result.

Especially in heroic boss fights, I feel renew could be a kinda good filler. We cleared heroic yesterday evening, and over all kills the heal from renew was equal to poh. Of course, most of these renews weren't casted but came from Benediction, which in my opinion is a great talent in raids regarding how less mana we have. I don't find these moments where I really need Apotheosis, CoH is just too expensive so Benediction is my take and forget choice.

With the traits on the left artifact path, the combo of Mending and Renew really pleases me. And when I'm looking further and see our T19 sets on the horizon, I think Blizzard thinks of us as a part time HoT healer. Here we are again as the so called Master of all Trades: getting a base healing from the HoTs but also have significant single target heals.
    Last edited by Rici; 2016-10-07 at 10:23 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the support and advice; I will put them to test asap. I really want to improve and help my guild with good progressing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rici View Post
    Especially in heroic boss fights, I feel renew could be a kinda good filler. We cleared heroic yesterday evening, and over all kills the heal from renew was equal to poh. Of course, most of these renews weren't casted but came from Benediction, which in my opinion is a great talent in raids regarding how less mana we have. I don't find these moments where I really need Apotheosis, CoH is just too expensive so Benediction is my take and forget choice.

With the traits on the left artifact path, the combo of Mending and Renew really pleases me. And when I'm looking further and see our T19 sets on the horizon, I think Blizzard thinks of us as a part time HoT healer. Here we are again as the so called Master of all Trades: getting a base healing from the HoTs but also have significant single target heals.
    Yes totally what I am seeing, Apotheosis is giving me worse healing than Benediction. Even worse mana with the PoH spam and/or FH spam, even tho the Holy Words are free. I can see it work in Mythic+, but in raids, Benediction over CoH and Apotheosis any time. Free passive raid healing

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitze View Post
    Yes totally what I am seeing, Apotheosis is giving me worse healing than Benediction. Even worse mana with the PoH spam and/or FH spam, even tho the Holy Words are free. I can see it work in Mythic+, but in raids, Benediction over CoH and Apotheosis any time. Free passive raid healing
    When you're doing effective healing with all your holy words during heavy raid damage (make sure your other healers arent also popping cooldowns at the same time) Throughput during apotheosis is insane. Its easily *far more powerful* than a divine hymn.

Alternatively, it allows you to do moderate single target healing for significantly less mana, as you'll be able to cast heal heal heal serenity rather than flash heal 6 times between serenity or whatever.

I love renew but I just don't think it's strong enough to make benediction worthwhile in most content

Deleted
    Spam flash heal

all fight
    every fight

dont stop

use amalgation and DM promises

and then spam the living shit out of flash heal

In my personal experience, if you want your hpriest to perform at her peak, there's pretty much one build you should be using, with little room for variation.

As far as talents, you should be using: Trail of Light, N/A, Afterlife, Light of the Naruu*, Surge of Light, Divinity, Apotheosis**. *Symbol of Hope should be taken if your healers are running into mana issues. **Circle of healing should be taken on fights where you can often make effective use of it, without running out of mana. I can also see Enlightenment being useful in certain situations, however I haven't made much use of it personally.

With this talent build, flash heal is going to be your most used spell by far, making use of ToL, SoL as well as Divinity procs. You should keep renew up on tanks, but otherwise use it sparingly aside from when moving. Make extensive use of PoM, pretty much our best spell as far as mana efficiency. Serenity and Sanctify should be used as effectively as possible, Serenity on targets <50% HP/tanks, Sanctify on >2 targets. Use PoH as you always have done, when the raid is stacked and Sanctify is on CD (preferably immediately after, as PotN and Divinity will have proc'd). Similarly, you're going to want to use Hymn when it will benifit from Divinity and preferably Blessing of T'uure. Use heal as a filler.

As far as AP, you're pretty much going to want to go anti-clockwise while spending your points.

Gearing, like you said, should be mastery>crit>haste>vers.

Furthermore, in my opinion there are seldom occasions where the renew-blanket build is effective, simply as renew is so weak in its current iteration. Perhaps with the +4 second duration legendary it may find use.

Following this advice, you should have little trouble with being competitive with other classes on most fights =).