Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    That's because, frankly, it doesn't.

I took ONE accounting course my entire college career. Granted, I did well and it was a class that "weeded em out" so to speak. But still, anyone can learn this shit after some on-the-job training for 1-2 weeks.
    To be honest I don't think any of the accounting courses I took prepared me at all. I learnt so much in just my first week at a firm.

As just an example I had to take tax twice in university and just barely passed the second time. I literally took nothing away from that course. Every firm I have worked at since consider me a tax expert because of how good I am at it in the real world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Okay, I decided to come and ask for advice/suggestions as asking here has helped in the past through difficult situations.

Before you comment read the line above this.
    *edit*
    Since so many people can't manage to read the red, try reading the green.
    All you have to do is scroll down on page 1 and you'll see the actual post.

*not relationship advice.*

Anyway, my girlfriend, child, and I are having a really rough patch.
    Sometime back in April I left the job I had been at for nearly 6 years, due to it turning into a dead end job.
    I got a new job making a little bit more for easier work at a Shane's Rib Shack and was a cook there for about 4-5 months.
    We've had it rough as money has been tight but it hasn't been too terrible, we've been able to make do.

Well, about 2 months ago our food-stamps got cut. (We were both employed)
    I got fired from my job on Thursday/Sunday for calling out of my Thursday shift because my car broke down and was in the shop so I had no way to get to work.
    Car got fixed and I showed up for my next shift on Sunday only to find myself taken completely off the schedule and the opening manager giving me the run-around at first trying to get me to work out that shift before cutting me.(someone else didn't show up so he was already short, more-so if I wasn't there.)
    I went home, didn't end up finishing the shift out since I was fired.

Well, today our daughter had a doctors appointment for severe ear infections she's had.
    We get there only to find out her medicaid has been cut without notice to us.(she's 13 months old)

We are currently attempting once again to renew both foodstamps, and medicaid for our daughter.

During this we've been trying to move out of the studio apartment and into a 4bdrm because we have a friend who is moving up from Florida come December and her and her two little girls are going to live with us.
    That's been put on hold since I'm unemployed now, though the housing part needs to happen by December.

To top it all off, I was already needing out of the restaurant industry due to breaking my leg in a motorcycle accident last November and it not healing 100% properly leaving me in a great deal of pain if I have to be on my feet.

But I'm 24 years old, I've only ever worked in restaurants.
    So despite having filled every available position in a restaurant including management, I have absolutely 0 work experience outside of it.

So here I am, unemployed, no money, no food, and no idea what to do from here to support my family.

I haven't been, and likely wont be able to afford to go to college(not to mention that is a very long term fix.) and now I need to get into a 9-5 themed job making enough (20-35k) to support my family, but I have no idea where to start.
    I'd love to find something I could do from home because that would be best on my leg, but I'd be perfectly happy with a desk job, or a minimal walk time job.

I'm hoping through some of all of your long years you will be able to help give me some advice and help cause as it stands we just don't know what to do anymore...
    We're stuck in an endless loop of not having enough money to pay our bills, and having to skip out on eats 2-3 days every week to ensure our daughter is getting everything she needs.

We live in Atlanta GA.

I'll try and answer any questions or concerns anyone has whilst offering their knowledge and experience.
    How DARE YOU breed when you work only as a cook? How evil do you have to be to make a child yet be unable to provide?!?!?!

spend this time in training of some sort
    i dont care what it is

and if you can stomach it, try to work part time while attaining said training
    then re-enter the labor force as skilled labor

instant gratification was never an opinion as it pertains to breaking away from minimum wage(unskilled labor)
    i wouldnt be against taking out a loan for such a thing if that is what you have to do, as it is an investment
    Last edited by truckboattruck; 2016-10-07 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    spend this time in training of some sort
    i dont care what it is

and if you can stomach it, try to work part time while attaining said training
    then re-enter the labor force as skilled labor

instant gratification was never an opinion as it pertains to breaking away from minimum wage(unskilled labor)
    i wouldnt be against taking out a loan for such a thing if that is what you have to do, as it is an investment
    Well said.

Noone can provide while being a COOK.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    How DARE YOU breed when you work only as a cook? How evil do you have to be to make a child yet be unable to provide?!?!?!
    I'm not sure what's more absurd; your self-righteous bullshit, or the obvious fact that you didn't read beyond the first post in a 10 page thread before responding since this was addressed already.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I've known some people who loved security work.....until they were caught sneaking off. A loser I stopped associating with used to try to keep me on the phone half the night for every shift he worked because he was bored stiff and mobile games didn't do it for him anymore. Annoying douche bag....
    Yeah, I don't get it. It's the easiest job in the world if you get a nice, boring post, it pays better than minimum wage jobs, and comes with less stress (physical and mental). Why risk losing that? I guess I'm comfortable thinking a lot by myself, I've never had a problem with getting too bored during work or running.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    So you are 24 not skilled or educated, have a kid, aren't married and think you can land job making 30K a year? I would look into the driving schools where they pay you as they train you and look for job with a local route. That or get a skill trade or education otherwise you are SOL.