Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Scotland is running a deficit of over £15b and the only reason Scotland isn't bankrupt right now is because the UK can absorb the loss. I'm disgusted when I think that I used to support independence, it would destroy the country, Scotland is in a far worse position now than it was in 2014 and even back then independence would have been bad.
    That sounds a hell of a lot like the Welsh Assembly's management over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Must say i agree. They could use most of the GB arguments for leaving the union. Don't know if its the best thing for Scotland to leave though as Spain might block them because of their own separatist groups.

We still don't know the full effect of Brexit, if the economy blooms then leaving would be quite stupid if not just for ideology.
    Spain's main concern is not setting a precedent for independence that isn't in constitutionally sanctioned since Spain's constitution provides no avenue for Catalonia, for example, to secede. As long as it's done constitutionally they have no complaints.

I sure hope so.

Deleted
    What kind of economic prospects do the Scottish have if they seperate from the UK?

I vaguely remember reading a while back that they would be royally screwed if they did and they would plummit into poverty.

Deleted
    I don't think that Scotland will leave the UK. They are Westminster's bitch in the same manner as Netherlands are to Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    I doubt they'd get a chance to have a second shot personally.
    Seems a tad silly, the brits all want 'indepence' from the EU, but its not okay for the scots to want it from the UK?

Leaving the EU is a big change to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    I don't think that Scotland will leave the UK. They are Westminster's bitch in the same manner as Netherlands are to Germany.
    Look at this guy, thinking he's funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What kind of economic prospects do the Scottish have if they seperate from the UK?

I vaguely remember reading a while back that they would be royally screwed if they did and they would plummit into poverty.
    I believe there are some oil/natural gad resources off the Scottish coast, but their ownership is contested, they're not nationalized oil sources, so it'd depend on the private company who operates them determining if Scotland remains in a strong enough position to be worth their investment. There would also be some serious discussion about even those resources would belong to Scotland at all and I think the Scottish answer at the time was that they would nationalize them (IE: take them anyway regardless of the consequences) and that never bodes well for a small nation looking for international investment.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i think they will, and i think westminster will try to block it
    Time for Crimea 2.0 then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Time for Crimea 2.0 then.
    why would russia invade scotland?

jk, but last time the Independence ref happened, the daily mail actually ran a story about Russia invading Scotland after independence lol
    Last edited by mmocef2fdcc82b; 2016-10-15 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    why would russia invade scotland?
    Haggis tastes better than gruel?

Scotland is better off part of the UK. It will be the same as when Puerto Rico votes to leave the US. Little vote. It won't pass. And things go on as normal.

Considering already, the argument for a another referendum is built around the nonsense idea that the entire reasoning for the Brexit was racist in general
    Why do you even think that?

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And do you care?

Obviously with Article 50 looming closer Sturgeon is getting more worried and desperately trying to cling to the EU. Do you think a second independence referendum is inevitable and do you think the Scottish people will leave and risk a potential worst of situation. Personally curiosity kinda makes me want a second independence referendum
    Think she'll be in for a shock if there is tbh, first time round i voted to stay in the UK because she wanted to suck up to the EU, and i voted to leave the EU, if she tries again there is a load of extra votes going to stick with remain as part of the UK, all those extra Scottish votes to leave the EU would be voting to stay in the UK and those that feel they were lied to (after the scaremongering to keep us in the EU).

Now if she was wanting to go it alone i would have voted to leave the UK, but now isn't the time to be doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    You think wrong.
    What a wonderful argument! I see all of your sources correcting me and I can clearly say how wrong I was.

You know "You're wrong" isn't an argument.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The SNP will only call a 2nd Indy Ref when they are sure they can win. So far, the Tories are spoon feeding the Scots everything Nicola Sturgeon could have wished for.

In 2014, The last poll before the referendum showed Yes was slightly ahead. This sent Westminster into meltdown and the VOW was made which promised us the closest thing to federalism with regards to devolved powers if we stayed. No sooner had the results come in, with a remain majority and Cameron was screwing us over with making it all about England and the introduction of EVEL. The only extra powers we got were to do with a small part of welfare, road signs and equally unimportant trivia. Make no mistake, we won't be fooled twice. Similarly, all those promises about the only way to stay in the EU as part of the UK, saving the NHS, pensions etc all turned out to be falsehoods.

The EU is a big game changer for Scotland. We don't to be part of the xenophobic Little Britain England is turning into. We believe we can be stronger for our differences, not weaker. That means recognising we are not the centre of the universe, but part of a larger continent and a larger world. We voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU because we realise the value of immigrants and others who choose to make their home here.

With regards to being able to afford going alone, to many it seems far safer than choosing to stay part of the UK with it's ever plummeting pound. Given our assets of oil, renewable energy, tourism whiskey, food and drink etc, we can easily stand on our own two feet, especially when we will no longer have England to subsidise. Before anyone jumps in with 'it's the other way round' - Nope, it isn't, go do your own research and stop believing the lies of the msm. Why do you think England are fighting so hard to hang on to us? It's not because they love our accent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    There was talk of re-nationalising the recently privatised Royal Mail, if Scotland had became independent, but there was never any suggestion that the North Sea petrochemical industry would be nationalised.

It's difficult to find evidence of something that didn't happen. If you have something to support your argument I'd be interested in reading it.
    I merely said "I think", it's been a while. The post you just made could have been made before and is probably the source of my confusion.

Just, be kind.

Of course, of course. Brexit is ''smurt people getting out of leftist quagmire'', but Heaven forbid Scotland playing the same game. It's verboten.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Would the EU take in Scotland? I mean in the UK wasn't Scotland a net drain in the form of Welfare services dependency? I think the EU has enough trouble with Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Would the EU take in Scotland? I mean in the UK wasn't Scotland a net drain in the form of Welfare services dependency? I think the EU has enough trouble with Italy, Spain, Portugal and Greece.
    There's no guarantee Scotland would be accepted

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Considering already, the argument for a another referendum is built around the nonsense idea that the entire reasoning for the Brexit was racist in general, leaving the UK to potentially (if they'll alow them in) join a growingly right-wing and increasingly financially troubled EU seems a real risk.
    Yet after consistent pressure, we're yet to hear a reason that holds up to scrutiny that wasn't "border control". I offer the invitation to yourself also

So its not nonsense at all, its a strong reason a lot of people voted leave. The rest were just idiots Pick one

OT: If we leave Europe then I fully expect another independance referendum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    There's no guarantee Scotland would be accepted
    nicola whatsherface has already been cap in hand to the eu trying to join when the uk as a whole leaves & was told the gtfo.
    she's in denial, as are all the remoaners out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    OT: If we leave Europe then I fully expect another independance referendum.
    they had one in 2014, they'll not get another.