Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Skovald's dialogue with Odyn. Why?

One thing I never got was why Odyn, before fighting Skovald in the dungeon, even acknowledges his ability to take the Aegis.

1. Throughout Stormheim, as Havi, Odyn stresses the need to stop Skovald and the Legion.

2. He clearly cheated the trials anyways.

3. He is Legion. Clearly they want to destroy the world and that is Odyn's duty which he's pursued vigorously.

So why does he even give the perception Skovald is worthy of the Aegis? That would doom the world. Did I miss something or just bad/inconsistent writing? I feel like it should've been written that he, say, incapacitated Odyn so he'd be stealing it, not be offered it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Unsure which legion you're playing lol. He wasnt offer3d it, he got picssed he was too late and was going to MURDER US to take it.
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Odyn already says that the Aegis, regardless of what Skovald had tried to do, is "their right". And when Odyn says "your protest comes too late" is more of an insult to Skovald, basically saying to him "you tried and ultimately failed, even after cheating, betraying everyone around you, and surrendering to the Legion for more power. And these champions you deem unworthy still beat you by completing the trials the LEGITIMATE way."

Odyn is, more or less, mocking Skovald for his inability to get the Aegis even after all he had done.

Have you ever done Halls of Valor? If yes, were you asleep?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    One thing I never got was why Odyn, before fighting Skovald in the dungeon, even acknowledges his ability to take the Aegis.

1. Throughout Stormheim, as Havi, Odyn stresses the need to stop Skovald and the Legion.

2. He clearly cheated the trials anyways.

3. He is Legion. Clearly they want to destroy the world and that is Odyn's duty which he's pursued vigorously.

So why does he even give the perception Skovald is worthy of the Aegis? That would doom the world. Did I miss something or just bad/inconsistent writing? I feel like it should've been written that he, say, incapacitated Odyn so he'd be stealing it, not be offered it.
    Well, he does not really cheat on the trials. He defeated the guardian in the trial of might, even though he destroyed him afterwards. He got the accept of the Valanir/dragons, even though it was through submission and he got the accept of the old kings through necromancy. He passed them all, even though it was not the intended way Odyn and the other keepers are kept up by rules and laws, so if we had not claimed the Aegis before Skovald arrived, Odyn was proberly bound to give it to him
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Well, he does not really cheat on the trials. He defeated the guardian in the trial of might, even though he destroyed him afterwards. He got the accept of the Valanir/dragons, even though it was through submission and he got the accept of the old kings through necromancy. He passed them all, even though it was not the intended way Odyn and the other keepers are kept up by rules and laws, so if we had not claimed the Aegis before Skovald arrived, Odyn was proberly bound to give it to him
    He still fought us afterwards, so we don't know if there was anything that would have stopped him from killing Skovald after giving him the Aegis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishy View Post
    Unsure which legion you're playing lol. He wasnt offer3d it, he got picssed he was too late and was going to MURDER US to take it.
    The dialogue to me implied that if either 1. He beat us there or 2. Did kill us, he could've walked out with the Aegis and gone about his day.

For that matter, how'd he get in there? The guardians before the entrance to the halls are killing any demon that approached
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    The dialogue to me implied that if either 1. He beat us there or 2. Did kill us, he could've walked out with the Aegis and gone about his day.

For that matter, how'd he get in there? The guardians before the entrance to the halls are killing any demon that approached
    Skovald is not a demon - he is still the king of the Vrykul who passed all the trials.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    He still fought us afterwards, so we don't know if there was anything that would have stopped him from killing Skovald after giving him the Aegis.
    He proberly would have fought Skovald even after giving him the Aegis Just because he was forced to give him the Aegis, proberly does not stop him from attacking him afterwards But i wonder if Odyn could defeat Skovald, when he was empowered by the Aegis. The Legion would proberly have backup ready, if Skovald got full possesion of the Aegis. Would be wierd if they sent him on a suicide mission.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Odyn? Eh. He just got aroused seeing our fighting capabilities and wanted in for some fun and games. He may be a Watcher, but he is a warrior, first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    He proberly would have fought Skovald even after giving him the Aegis Just because he was forced to give him the Aegis, proberly does not stop him from attacking him afterwards But i wonder if Odyn could defeat Skovald, when he was empowered by the Aegis. The Legion would proberly have backup ready, if Skovald got full possesion of the Aegis. Would be wierd if they sent him on a suicide mission.
    Any backup Skovold had at his disposal would have been called in when we fought him. Also consider we don't actually defeat odyn. We just get him to 80%.

Odyn is corrupted by old god just like the other titan keepers were. It is just yet to be revealed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    My working theory is that there was basically no instance in which Odyn would've given the Aegis to Skovald. While we acquired it pretty much fair and square discounting Odyn personally shepherding us through the Trials (YMMV as to whether or not this was technically cheating), Skovald demonstrated nothing but contempt for the Trials and it's open to argument as to whether or not he fulfilled them at all. These are not something one can beat out of Yotnar, the Thorignir, or Ashildir - they have to be given, and even then Odyn remains the ultimate arbiter of success.

Odyn essentially rubs Skovald's face in his failure, and had we not succeeded he could've either brought up Skovald's contempt of the Trials and declared them incomplete, or as he did with us on Skovald's defeat he might've declared himself the final challenge and then proceeded to beat Skovald to death. Odyn's game was essentially rigged completely in our favor - he chose us well beforehand and had no intention of awarding Skovald for his Legion affiliation.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Odyn is a douche anyways
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

7+ Year Old Account
    odyn is that uncle who is a real scumbag italian, but hes pretty cool anyways

Cousin, lets go bowling!
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbac View Post
    Odyn is corrupted by old god just like the other titan keepers were. It is just yet to be revealed.
    Eh no, the keepers of ulduar and neltharion were corrupted mainly due to proximity.

Odyn on the otherhand, has been chilling in a floating fortress all this time.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

Odyn was just goading Skovald so we would put him down like he knew we could.

It has been Aegis since he last faced a worthy opponent. Don't mind him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't put to much thought into the things Odyn does. He is the god version of Maximillian of Northshire.

If you even have to ask yourself if something in WoW is bad writing then the answer is that yes, it's just bad writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.