Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is the majority of people just plain awful at WoW?

This is not a whine thread, but more like a debate on people and their skills.

Let me tell you about my legion experience so far.
    I'm not a raider in this expansion, but i do still play a lot, and only do dungeons/mythic plus.
    Through my travels i've found that random people i meet are generally incredible bad at this game, why is this?
    Some of the common mistakes is people not using their cds, unless on bosses. so they sit on something like combustion for 5-10 minutes because "trash" is not worth it....even if i pull 3 packs as a tank, still no cds on many ppl.
    Additionally some random heroics i queue up as dps on my crazy aoe fire mage. i get in see a tank 3.6m hp. about 860 ilvl, and he pulls single packs in heroics. I cry inside when i see that srsly.
    Me and my friend a pala tank and me on my mage, we were 845 when we had the worst case in this expansion, we were in group with a 866 retri, a 854 hunter and some healer. Now these are 20 and 10 ilvls above us respectively, then how come we did a combined 81% of all the damage in that BRH HC?
    It wasn't until after the dungeon i really noticed, i sat back in my chair in shock.
    There's countless examples just like that. just tried a +3 BRH. all dps were 850+ and none of them did more than 215k dps on trash packs, even big ones. like wtf?

I see people in the premade grp system asking "865 ilvl for 175k dps" What the actual fuck? Today i did EN norm on my 852 mage and did about 260k on ursoc. I don't want to brag and i don't consider myself a pro player, but just a thinking human being, trying to optimise my play.

Enough ranting from me, what do you think? Is this generally the level of performance to be expected from people in this game? Are 95% of players just plain awful?
    And if so where can i find some decent people to play with, who are not awful?

Yes, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. People play this game for different reasons.

Yes, and it gets masked/substituted with gear. This expansion especially!

Deleted
    The problem with this expansion is the RNG gearing & boosting. Everyone and their grandmother is being boosted in Mythic + and curve groups so they all have high ilvl/achievements but are not as experienced in refining their role like you get a lot of people doing, min/maxing etc I for one am not one of those people. I get a brief hint at what I should be looking for gear wise and just go with the flow.

You have to remember the majority of the playerbase will be classed as simply players who want to have fun and casuals but the high increase in gear obtainable means its harder to see through the veil at who are the better players in among the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapzy View Post
    i get in see a tank 3.6m hp. about 860 ilvl, and he pulls single packs in heroics. I cry inside when i see that srsly.
    I sometimes join a random heroic for a WQ/Satchel and I'll start pulling small packs as usual, I've just joined and met these people so I don't know their skill or gear. If things die very fast I'll likely end up pulling additional packs to speed the process up, however pulling 3-4 packs just because that particular tank is geared may put strain on your healer keeping the group alive and cause deaths.

So I for example judge each group as and when I play with them, I won't pull the entire dungeon just because I am geared far better than the dungeon provides. Not every tank is leeroy jenkins just because he has the gear
    Last edited by mmocae040fe99f; 2016-10-20 at 12:52 AM.

I mean it's kind of a whine thread?

Had to carry a Feral through a heroic today (his kick timer thing kept resetting). His #1 source of damage was auto-attacking.

There are points on the graph where people aren't really "playing" the game.

I guess you're pretty young but the majority of people are awful at everything. I don't mean that a static 99% of people are bad at everything and the other 1% are great at it. I mean if you take any activity not vital for living (eg. breathing or eating) the majority of people on the planet will be crap at it.

I have to agree with some of what others are saying, it's much easier to get high ilvl gear than it ever was before for very minimal work which kind of hides the fact that some people are flat out awful at what they are attempting. There are plenty of people who seem like they could be good, they have a high item level and decent gear, but the way they play whatever spec they are can be absolutely atrocious. And if you happen to be in a Mythic+ when you find out how bad they are you're pretty much screwed on your keystone.

I think the fact that 5 man content with Mythic+ is the focus of this xpac so far has compounded the issue.

It's much more acceptable for people to be bad when the content you're doing has no time constraints, however since you're being timed not being good at what you're playing will heavily impact your group.

Before a high item level was harder to get and was a better way to tell the skill of a player at a glance, however in this xpac when anyone can get a massive ilvl boost from an RNG Legiondary they can potentially get into content they aren't actually prepared for.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I tried pugging EN normal to finish up the Corrupted Essence questline... NEVER. AGAIN.

It's amazing how blizzard's butchery of LFR has allowed the terrible players to start seeping into real raiding, I feel bad for actual decent players who have to trudge through pugs like these to eventually try and enter heroic raids.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Here's a fact: There are people better than you, and there are people worse than you. It's not a big deal, unless your life goal is to be the #1 player killer hero.

A lot of people tend to focus on people that are below them in the dps meters and get irritated by it. This attitude is toxic.

I personally stopped raiding since BRF early-mid last year, and don't have time for it this expac due to IRL stuff. But whenever i step into a dungeon with my relatively low ilvl, i play to carry everyone. Even when i did raid, i'd pass gear to people who's dps was lower than me because they obviously needed all the help they could get to keep up.

Don't bitch and moan if your dps far exceeds the others in your group, even those with higher ilvl. As far as i'm concerned, and from personal experience, ilvl means nothing (to a certain extent). It's all about your personal skill, pve fight knowledge, and class knowledge.

If someone out dps's me, it bugs me and i try and figure out how this happened, and i try to do better next time.

Don't waste time/energy focusing on someone doing worse than yourself. There's nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself for "carrying the nub 860 XXXX with your 840ilvl toon", but boasting about it is pathetic and pointless.

Apparently. Because I outperform most people I play with outside of mythic raiders about 90% of the time. That's not a brag, I'm not doing much more than knowing my class/rotation and attacking the right target. The biggest thing I notice with bad players is they're just slow. Slow chaining their attacks, slow switching targets, slow moving, etc. All those gaps between GCDs add up.

7+ Year Old Account
    think of how many people play baseball
    then think of how many people are pro baseball players

same with any sport

and that is wow
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulen View Post
    I sometimes join a random heroic for a WQ/Satchel and I'll start pulling small packs as usual, I've just joined and met these people so I don't know their skill or gear. If things die very fast I'll likely end up pulling additional packs to speed the process up, however pulling 3-4 packs just because that particular tank is geared may put strain on your healer keeping the group alive and cause deaths.
    YOU! You get a whole box of cookies. The game needs more people like you.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Most don't want to go all out for every single little thing, sometimes, they want to take things on slower and more relaxed. If patience isn't a virtue that you possess, you should invest in a premade group or carries by that point. I know that when I tank dungeons, sometimes I feel like pulling a mob at a time, sometimes I feel like pulling as much as I can attempt to handle, it all matters on how much I feel like pushing myself. That isn't for someone else to decide for me, it is for me to decide, or they will find a new tank. If they absolutely need a tank that can pull as much as humanly possible, then they should either be a tank role or have a friend that will tank that way for them, but expecting strangers to do that is not only counter-productive, but just makes everyone angry at each for the sole-reason that you're not patient.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

People are just casual. People don't want to sit around for hours to be the very best in an MMO anymore. It's happening all across the gaming industry, MMOs are just not holding attention like they used to.

This why people join guilds. LFR is full of casuals. Find like minded people and play with em. I'm right down the middle. I don't read logs and theory craft and do the math, but I know enough to tank N/Heroic easily. And that's fine with me. That might make me a "bad" to someone, but it's just my playstyle.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Ignoring the issue of some people being lazy and wanting to be carried through everything, I think a big part of the problem is that the game does a pisspoor job of teaching new players how to play, as well as not giving players a good idea of how they're doing, unless they use addons (dps meters etc) which aren't always obvious to new/casual players.

For example, the game doesn't teach players that they should always be casting/hitting abilities or that some classes have spell/ability rotations while others have priority systems instead of a set rotation. Or that it is important to use cooldowns as much as you can, while knowing dungeons/raids well enough to know when to conserve them in certain fights. Then there's the issue of secondary stats not always being obvious in which ones should be prioritized without websites like wowhead/Icy Veins/mmoc etc.

These are things that are simple for us, but people reading this have likely played wow a lot over the year and forget how we had to learn these things ourselves over the years.

There is a variety of factors which can affect the quality of a player's overall performance in a group. Not everyone has wow consistently running smooth as silk. Lag can make even the greatest of players into shit players. Then you have to also consider that rotations may have altered to such an extent that some people are still trying to figure the ins and outs of how their class works with the new expansion. That too can seriously alter the quality of how well someone plays. Then last of all there is the class itself. Some classes alas are just not that perfect. There may be new issues that some players are still trying to iron out which affect how well they play. Its not entirely their fault alas and that is why blizzard has patches on the way as they know there is still some issues which need to be resolved. Sadly there is always some hiccups when an expansion starts and not everyone can play like a game god.

That is a problem with online gaming in general. You get to a point where you are SO good at the game that very few people can actually understand the skill level that you've reached. Secretly, they still understand that you can run circles around them, though, which causes all sorts of tensions and nasty feelings.

The best you can do is to hone your tolerance - you are a wolf among sheep, OP. It is a lonely road.

Same for me, I do not raid, I only do mythic and mythic + dungeons right now...
    I'm nowhere near a pro, I make mistakes too but I just cannot believe how many people don't know how to DPS.

860 ilvl, doing under 170k DPS...seriously ? 230k on pack ?
    I know some classes are better at aoe but please, can you at least do something on boss fights ?
    The worst part is they are not even afraid of doing mythic +4-6, they do not care...
    I was ilvl 847, doing 300k-320k DPS on single target...and I was super afraid to do a stupid mythic +2 dungeon...

I did an heroic dungeon yesterday for a world quest, there was a 820 ilvl mage in the group.
    He was at 170k-180k on single target and about 250k-270k on packs...
    At the end of the dungeon, he said "thanks for the PL"...I whispered him and told him "It wasn't a PL, you do the same DPS most people do in 860ilvl gear".

The funny part is people with 860ilvl under 200k DPS asking for their class to be buff (or other classes to be nerf).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lartok View Post
    I mean if you take any activity not vital for living (eg. breathing or eating) the majority of people on the planet will be crap at it.
    You'd be surprised at how many even fail at that, look on their shirt, lap or under the table after they're done eating, and you'll find tons of crumbs, pieces of food and sauce.