Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There is no "legacy". World of Warcraft, be it 1.12 or 7.1 is the same game with only superficial differences. No jurisdiction will ever consider them DIFFERENT products.
    You are just wasting your time with him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    on the contrary it makes very much sense if you are a grown up and in the business of creating stuff.
    its called law which you dont seem to understand. its called copyright infringement.
    But this is a very specific case because it's impossible to play Vanilla any other way.
    And there is a demand and niche market for it...so someone have to do it. Hell someone will do it for sure.

By taking down the most famous server is saying "we dont want anyone to play Vanilla. Everyone is forbidden to play Vanilla"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    But this is a very specific case because it's impossible to play Vanilla any other way.
    And there is a demand and niche market for it...so someone have to do it. Hell someone will do it for sure.
    It's not a specific case at all. Just because the product isn't properly offered anymore does not mean Blizzard suddenly lose the rights to it. As I have tried to tell you they own "World of Warcraft". Any other company does the same shit to protect their franchise/IP so it's not a specific case. You just want to sit in la la land and believe your own nonsense of "they hate legacy players".
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-21 at 07:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's not a specific case at all. Just because the product isn't properly offered anymore does not mean Blizzard suddenly lose the rights to it. As I have tried to tell you they own "World of Warcraft". Any other company does the same shit to protect their franchise/IP so it's not a specific case. You just want to sit in la la land and believe your own nonsense.
    I don't know how to explain it any better

I understand it's their IP but try to understand that fighting Vanilla servers is like fighting ghosts. There will always be one.
    Taking down the most famous one...seems like a useless move just trying to send a message.

The message that "you suck Vanilla players, go play retail godamit"

I don't know how to explain it any better

I understand it's their IP but try to understand that fighting Vanilla servers is like fighting ghosts. There will always be one.
    Taking down the most famous one...seems like a useless move.
    Why? They took down something before it got bigger and created an even larger risk of losing their IP. And again since you added to your response no they are not saying it. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent time talking to the Nostalrius team directly.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    also the question of

only 300k people signed it saying " i would like it"
    they dident have to pay anything
    how many people could they get ,that would be willing to pay monthly for it...

300k FREE signatures, that could easily be botted
    how many people will PAY to play on a private server... alot of people wont as they would rather play for free on other private servers, so idk, we will see
    And I take it you took into consideration it was only spread with word of mouth, and a large majority not even knowing what a private server is and had no clue this was going on? Yet if they could hear and know about it they could be potential customers for the idea? And that even if 300k free signatures were free, a good amount would still pay, and if it was actually Blizzard making commercial for this the word about it all would spread much more and further, letting far more people know about it. Potentially reaching far over 300k legitimate unique customers.

Deleted
    Why? They took down something before it got bigger and created an even larger risk of losing their IP. And again since you added to your response no they are not saying it. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent time talking to the Nostalrius team directly.
    I don't understand what speaking to the Nost team says about Blizzard.
    But i know that someone have to do it because of the demand...

Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-10-21 at 07:57 AM.

But i know that someone have to do it because of the demand...

You mean the entire higher up of Blizzard and the WoW team? Yeah "someone". No point discussing this with you further since you have some illusory argument made up in your head already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    And I take it you took into consideration it was only spread with word of mouth, and a large majority not even knowing what a private server is and had no clue this was going on? Yet if they could hear and know about it they could be potential customers for the idea? And that even if 300k free signatures were free, a good amount would still pay, and if it was actually Blizzard making commercial for this the word about it all would spread much more and further, letting far more people know about it. Potentially reaching far over 300k legitimate unique customers.
    Only word of mouth? Come on, they were advertising on official wow forums, reddit, youtubers, twitch just to name a few. When you are producing material that shows off how many players you have and how many characters made and so on you are trying to get this info out into the hands of potential players. The message was pretty clear, stop giving money to Blizzard and come play for free.

All i know is that someone have to do it and i am on Nost side on this one.

WoW is one of the largest, most lucrative and universally recognizable IPs in gaming history. As shitty as it is, Blizzard cannot simply turn a blind eye to emulated PS since any weakness on Blizzard's part leads into slippery slope territory allowing further exploitation of the brand. Nost played by the rules and shut down after the first C&D but certainly could have very easily done what nearly every other PS community does when they get these and either ignore it completely or change service providers frequently enough to prevent them from ever being able to fully shut it down. And because they played by the rules, they were able to enjoy a fully paid trip across the globe to meet and greet with senior management at Blizzard. Even if it's now plainly obvious this was mostly a PR stunt, that's a pretty neat perk and I doubt many companies would have gone to the same lengths if there wasn't at least some kind of contingency at the company which supports the idea of Legacy realms.

There's plenty of arguments to be made on the viability of playing older, currently unavailable versions of the game but the idea that an emulated version will ever be condoned by Blizzard needs to be erased from our vernacular. If Blizzard-sanctioned Legacy is going to happen, it'll be developed in-house using the source code they've already admitted they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Only word of mouth? Come on, they were advertising on official wow forums, reddit, youtubers, twitch just to name a few. When you are producing material that shows off how many players you have and how many characters made and so on you are trying to get this info out into the hands of potential players. The message was pretty clear, stop giving money to Blizzard and come play for free.
    I support them but never voted in any fashion. I'm simply not a part of social media, nor would I chose to be, anytime soon.

Deleted
    You mean the entire higher up of Blizzard and the WoW team? Yeah "someone". No point discussing this with you further since you have some illusory argument made up in your head already.
    There is a market of people who want to play Vanilla. Just look at this thread, is alive for god knows how much time.
    If Blizzard refuses to do it someone else have to do it.
    And Nost wasn't even profitable, it was free.
    I can imagine how the meeting with Blizzard and Nost team went:

B: We don't feel confortable with a pirate company representing us, you need to stop, it's our legal right.
    N: But there is a huge demand for it...are you going to do it?
    B: No...we won't do it...but you can't do it either.
    N: What about all the people who want to play Vanilla? What about them?
    B: ...We don't feel confortable with a pirate company representing us, you need to stop, it's our legal right.
    N: Godamit.

@otaXephon I envy your english skills.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-10-21 at 08:13 AM.

Deleted
    I'm still thinking how the hell is Blizzard gonna loose they're IP to Nostalrius guys cause they where hosting a Vanilla server. Do u really think that Nost people, eventually, can demand the IP for Vanilla? Really?

Man brah!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    This. Not sure why someone is trying to act like China subs don't matter.
    Cause we know jack about their subscribers. Not saying it doesn't matter, but if WoW doesn't do well in it's own home then what does it say about its game? Also, isn't the Chinese WoW less grindy and you can raid twice a week?

All this crying over Nost when the real crime is that --SNIP-- continues to go untouched.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-10-21 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Thats true but I would imagine that there is a stronger overlap of people who raided in Vanilla out of the people playing Nost proportionally. I could be well off.

Not to mention people who never played vanilla will have (at least some) up until WotLK been able to solo farm the old encounters in pretty much the same form they were at the end of vanilla. Certainly I feel I could face Vanilla Nefarian and, for example, know where to stand to avoid shadowflame.
    Maybe but I'm sure most people ignored a lot of mechanics while doing old raids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    All this crying over Nost when the real crime is that --SNIP-- continues to go untouched.
    Careful that could be construed as advertising it. Even if they are having server stability problems and missing quest.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a market of people who want to play Vanilla. Just look at this thread, is alive for god knows how much time.
    If Blizzard refuses to do it someone else have to do it.
    And Nost wasn't even profitable, it was free.
    I can imagine how the meeting with Blizzard and Nost team went:

B: We don't feel confortable with a pirate company representing us, you need to stop, it's our legal right.
    N: But there is a huge demand for it...are you going to do it?
    B: No...we won't do it...but you can't do it either.
    N: What about all the people who want to play Vanilla? What about them?
    B: ...We don't feel confortable with a pirate company representing us, you need to stop, it's our legal right.
    N: Godamit.

@otaXephon I envy your english skills.
    There is a market for people for just about anything. Doesn't mean its worthwhile. And regardless of how you want to believe.....it was profitable to the company running the server that blizz sent the cease and desist letter to.

SO yes blizzard did go after the ppl making money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    I support them but never voted in any fashion. I'm simply not a part of social media, nor would I chose to be, anytime soon.
    In a way this is social media.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-10-21 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    If you think there is no difference between 1,12 and 7.1
    If you think there is, please name just 10 non-trivial differences.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    also the question of

only 300k people signed it saying " i would like it"
    they dident have to pay anything
    how many people could they get ,that would be willing to pay monthly for it...

300k FREE signatures, that could easily be botted
    how many people will PAY to play on a private server... alot of people wont as they would rather play for free on other private servers, so idk, we will see
    That doesn't matter. If the higher-ups wanted to make Legacy servers happen right now, they'd allocate the resources for it. That Change.org petition was a sign that there is a measurable amount of demand for Vanilla-like World of Warcraft, and they'd be blind to say there isn't. At this point it's simply a personal judgment on the part of whoever is in charge of that decision: do the risks, costs and returns involved with the project all balance out?
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    If you think there is, please name just 10 non-trivial differences.
    1 - Tank Threat is irrelevant
    2 - CC in content is irrelevant
    3 - LFR/LFD Tools
    4 - Class homogenization
    5 - Profession value
    6 - Durability of content
    7 - Existence of Heirloom and related items/mechanics
    8 - CRZ
    9 - Multiple "dificulty" levels on raids
    10 - Legendary items design and philosophy

And some more It's the same game, but it's far from being the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacRR View Post
    I'm still thinking how the hell is Blizzard gonna loose they're IP to Nostalrius guys cause they where hosting a Vanilla server. Do u really think that Nost people, eventually, can demand the IP for Vanilla? Really?

Man brah!
    Basically, Blizzard is deathly afraid that the World of Warcraft IP might end up turning into a genericized trademark, which is what can happen if too many unlicensed people use it and Blizzard doesn't make a reasonable effort to stop them.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.