Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    This is really disgusting. The Pentagon just needs to bite the bullet and absorb the loss, because that will be FAR less demoralizing in the long term.
    Its amazing that they didn't do just that considering the amount of money in question is pennies compared to the whole of military spending.

Plus it happened a decade ago and I kinda feel like that qualifies for "too late too bad" status.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Its amazing that they didn't do just that considering the amount of money in question is pennies compared to the whole of military spending.

Plus it happened a decade ago and I kinda feel like that qualifies for "too late too bad" status.
    I can only imagine the impact on recruitment efforts.

'Hey guys, wanna join? If we screw up, you get to pay back a decade down the road ven though its not your fault!"

-_- someone at the Pentagon clearly didn't think this through. Id also go for punishing the higher ups at the Cal National Guard, but not sure how youd do that without it trickling down to the soldiers themselves.

Deleted
    Devil's advocate; couldn't you actually make the argument that government is doing a good thing in not neglecting wrongful out payments and ensuring that they clean up their mistakes and not just throw around the tax payers money recklessly?

Again, I am just playing devil's advocate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Devil's advocate; couldn't you actually make the argument that government is doing a good thing in not neglecting wrongful out payments and ensuring that they clean up their mistakes and not just throw around the tax payers money recklessly?

It would be nice for government to start trying to recoup misspent tax dollars.

Here's a list of 100 things we can start with (from 2015 alone) before going anywhere near asking soldiers to pay for a 10 year old mistake.

http://www.flake.senate.gov/public/_...k-2015-pdf.pdf

And IMO even if we get all that money back we still shouldn't be telling war vets to hand over their paychecks.
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post

If they were so dead set on correcting their mistake they should look for repayment from the administration that fucked up in the first place. Ofocurse that opens up an entire other argument of who's at fault and who should be accountable for how much.

People who are guilty of nothing other than taking money given to them should not be forced to pay it back, especially if it's due to a huge government oversight. This sounds pretty indefensible.

The DoD is pretty ruthless about getting its back pay too. I had a GySgt that didn't tell IPAC he was divorced during a deployment, so he was getting the extra spousal separation pay. When they found out and determined how much he owed, they simply didn't pay him for 6 weeks until they recouped their money.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is really disgusting. The Pentagon just needs to bite the bullet and absorb the loss, because that will be FAR less demoralizing in the long term.
    Pretty much.

The US Government should be grateful they can entice enough people with incentives to fight their wars. Imagine being a army enlister and having to explain this to informed prospects.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-10-23 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted

Here's a list of 100 things we can start with (from 2015 alone) before going anywhere near asking soldiers to pay for a 10 year old mistake.

And IMO even if we get all that money back we still shouldn't be telling war vets to hand over their paychecks.
    Well one could argue that such a things should be equal, and no status or job should protect you from such a recouping of misspent tax dollars. But I do absolutely understand the sentiment, "screwing" over veterans has a bad taste to it.

The military is pretty demoralized as it is right now, from what my couple of buddies in the army tell me.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Once more, the US system punishes the people furthest down on the ladder instead of those at the top who made the mistake and can actually pay for it.
    Capitalism as usual.
    Federal and State entities fuck up.

"God Dammit Capitalism!"

Gonna have to explain that one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolioe View Post
    If they were so dead set on correcting their mistake they should look for repayment from the administration that fucked up in the first place. Ofocurse that opens up an entire other argument of who's at fault and who should be accountable for how much.

People who are guilty of nothing other than taking money given to them should not be forced to pay it back, especially if it's due to a huge government oversight. This sounds pretty indefensible.
    Well there isn't really anywhere else that they money could be gathered from, without it being unfair. Of course the administration could be charged or fined, but if I know my laws well enough that money can't actually be spend towards paying for the misspent tax dollars (as long as it wasn't actually tax dollars that they themselves benefited from).

wow... just, wow.

Government incompetence knows no bounds...

This is disgusting.

Yea that's me expressing an opinion on who can step up and save the vets from having to cover government's mistake.

That is not me blaming people ...now is it?
    Alternatively, the pentagon could step up to fix its own mistake.

But nah, why should the actor responsible for a serious problem fix it when we can instead call for political entities we don't like to fix it instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Alternatively, the pentagon could step up to fix its own mistake.

But nah, why should the actor responsible for a serious problem fix it when we can instead call for political entities we don't like to fix it instead?
    Hey I hear you.

Why should I have to pay more taxes because certain people don't want to get a job.

It's a cray ol' world ain't it.

But there's lots of players in this game with the power to fix this problem and they're all just going to let it happen.

Sucks.
    MAGA

I doubt the state of california has anything to do with payment. The governor has direct control over the national guard but they are paid by the pentagon iirc

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Gonna have to explain that one.
    Post history explains it.

This will not hold up in the courts for the obvious reasons.

That document is a mix of legitimate complaints, 'I don't get it so it must not be important,' and 'I don't like it so it must not be important.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    This will not hold up in the courts for the obvious reasons.
    You can't sue the DOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!