Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Blizzcon Q&A: A huge focus on Legacy servers.

So after having browsed through the many pages of questions for blizzcons Q&A, i have seen that a large part of the questions are focused around getting some answers about the current state of Blizz legacy servers. I find it odd, that even with a new expansion, new patches incoming and a good amount of fixable ingame features, people still choose to focus on talking about legacy servers.

So my question is this: Do you think it would be alright if this years Blizzcon will use alot of time on legacy servers, even if Blizzard have any servers to announce yet? Would you like Blizzard to keep things sort and straight with legacy servers or use extended amount of time on the subject.

Note: Try to keep the comments focused around how you feel about Legacy servers maybe being this years Blizzcon big talking thing. If you want to state your opnion about legacy servers in general, then there is a megethread for that.
    Last edited by Flurryfang; 2016-10-24 at 12:35 PM.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I hope they sweep it under the rug and ignore it like the miserable waste of time it is.

Deleted
    What time do they have to use on this question?

Q: Will you implement vanilla realms?
    A: No.

Next question. Took all of five seconds.

Deleted
    i dont want them to ignore it i want them to do it, problem is if they gonna put time into legacy they might aswell do somthing refreshing to it aswell.
    Becuse lets be honest it wont last long, or make it so you have to have a subscription and all players who play current state of wow can also play it.

i really dont see a point having it in a seperate paywall.

I would like to play it off raid times and such for fun, but i would not want to hc play it.

Deleted
    I find it bizarre to be honest. Take off your rose tinted specs and you'll see that Vanilla actually sucked balls. Remember when they brought Molten Core back? That should serve as a reminder of how bad things were.

If Legacy servers are this years 'big thing' then Blizzard must have run out of ideas, and if that's the case then the game is in trouble.

They're pretty much explained their stance on Legacy servers, both from a business and a technical point of view, so I mostly just expect them to repeat that. Read:

"We love the idea and we would like to implement Legacy servers but we haven't figured a good business plan for them yet and we would have to rebuild the metadata and find ways to integrate the Legacy client with Battle.net and our new network and security structure. We are still considering our options here."

Also, there's a Megathread for that already.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    I'd much rather have them spend the time on talking about things that are relevant to the actual, current game. Using especially an extended amount of time for something like legacy servers seems like a massive waste for the vast majority of players.

I think it should be addressed in some way, considering how much attention it got and how we didn't really get any relevant information from the follow-up (meetings, etc).

Don't see any reason for them to spend a lot of Blizzcon time with it, especially if it's only adressed in the Q&A. I for one just want to know wether they are working on it, have any plans of doing it in the "near" future, or still have no plans at all. Even if they announce they are going forward with it, it's very likely still far off, and not that much they can say about it.

Although, given the schedule they announced, Legacy Servers would likely be one of the most exciting things to happen in this year's Blizzcon
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-10-24 at 12:04 PM.

Deleted
    How about they fix legion imbalance first?

Although, given the schedule they announced, Legacy Servers would likely be one of the most exciting things to happen in this year's Blizzcon
    As i started in vanilla i still don't understad what could possibly be so interesting in 12 years old expansion? also we still have "vanilla" in a way as devs, even after 12 years, can't balance game

+ adding content to/and polishing vanilla ... get real / just lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I'd much rather have them spend the time on talking about things that are relevant to the actual, current game. Using especially an extended amount of time for something like legacy servers seems like a massive waste for the vast majority of players.
    Agreed. I'd rather hear more about the Ret Paladin problem then more talk of legacy servers. If anything, they will use that time to talk more about their pristine server idea.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    So after having browsed through the many pages of questions for blizzcons Q&A, i have seen that a large part of the questions are focused around getting some answers about the current state of Blizz legacy servers. I find it odd, that even with a new expansion, new patches incoming and a good amount of fixable ingame features, people still choose to focus on talking about legacy servers.

So my question is this: Do you think it would be alright if this years Blizzcon will use alot of time on legacy servers, even if Blizzard have any servers to announce yet? Would you like Blizzard to keep things sort and straight with legacy servers or use extended amount of time on the subject.

Note: Try to keep the comments focused around how you feel about Legacy servers maybe being this years big talking thing.
    I'm not surprised that Legacy servers are a big focus for the community right now. Legion has the same problems that WoD did. If you're part of an extreme minority that raids in this game then yeah you're probably happy with Legion. Otherwise it's pretty lackluster. If you picked the right class/spec and you just run Mythic+ you're probably happy, but you'd be surprised how little the Mythic+ community actually is. It's probably about on par with the raiding community. Which leaves a shit ton of people that aren't happy. I myself completed heroic EN about 2 weeks ago and I have no interest in ever touching Mythic EN, so I'm pretty much done with Legion until about 7.2~ give or take, because mini bullshit patch 7.1 doesn't appeal to me. So I'm more interested in hearing about Legacy servers.

Which are going to have the same problem mind you, the raiding community on those will be even SMALLER, and much fewer opportunities for the casuals, but at least it's something other than the extremely bland norm that is Legion. This is the first Blizzcon that I probably won't even be reading about until well after it .. but honestly Legacy servers, Hearthstone, D3, etc are all more interesting to me than any Legion news.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    What time do they have to use on this question?

Q: Will you implement vanilla realms?
    A: No.

Next question. Took all of five seconds.
    Lol of course they're going to implement legacy servers. They wouldn't have wasted all the time and resources talking to the Nost guys this past year if they didn't have something planned for legacy servers. It's almost free money for bare minimum effort.

7+ Year Old Account
    im quite torn tbh, i would love to see the old pre cata world again but at the same time i'd rather want them to focus on the current expac and not on something from 12 years ago.

i guess, i dont really give that much shit about it, if they make them, ok, if they dont, ok.

Formerly known as Arafal

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I'm not surprised that Legacy servers are a big focus for the community right now. Legion has the same problems that WoD did. If you're part of an extreme minority that raids in this game then yeah you're probably happy with Legion. Otherwise it's pretty lackluster. If you picked the right class/spec and you just run Mythic+ you're probably happy, but you'd be surprised how little the Mythic+ community actually is. It's probably about on par with the raiding community. Which leaves a shit ton of people that aren't happy. I myself completed heroic EN about 2 weeks ago and I have no interest in ever touching Mythic EN, so I'm pretty much done with Legion until about 7.2~ give or take, because mini bullshit patch 7.1 doesn't appeal to me. So I'm more interested in hearing about Legacy servers.

Which are going to have the same problem mind you, the raiding community on those will be even SMALLER, and much fewer opportunities for the casuals, but at least it's something other than the extremely bland norm that is Legion This is the first Blizzcon that I probably won't even be reading about until well after it .. but honestly Legacy servers, Hearthstone, D3, etc are all more interesting to me than any Legion news.

Lol of course they're going to implement legacy servers. They wouldn't have wasted all the time and resources talking to the Nost guys this past year if they didn't have something planned for legacy servers. It's almost free money for bare minimum effort.
    There is a clear question then: Would a legacy server announcement be justified as the big thing of Blizzcon 2016, even though many players, even for world of warcraft, would never touch the thing? I think it is like using the opening event to announce a new patch, where a new raid is the only feature: Few people would even care and alot of other people would feel like Blizzcon was wasted.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I'd like to see them sit down and actually talk about it, the ins and outs and problems they would have with getting it done, price if they did it, and what players could actually see vs. what they could actually do. Frankly there isn't that much that is that exciting from Blizzcon, and it's something they could do instead one of there normal deals where we listen to the same stupid questions that have been asked and answered since the first year.

At least Legacy discussion could be interesting, unlike most of the Q & A sessions which are nothing but nerds snotting all over themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I'm not surprised that Legacy servers are a big focus for the community right now. If you're part of an extreme minority that raids in this game then yeah you're probably happy with Legion. Otherwise it's pretty lackluster. If you picked the right class/spec and you just run Mythic+ you're probably happy, but you'd be surprised how little the Mythic+ community actually is.
    This is quite an interesting view, and i would like to add my own opinion about it.
    Currently in wow there are three actual end game contents, rated PVP, raiding, and Mythic+, so obviously someone who is not into any of these ones find the expansion lackluster.
    One thing that i do not understand though, leaving appart vanilla,BC, and Wrath, where i do take in consideration the main game, or main end game for most people was learning to play wow (and this is a really huge amount of content), what content did ever have any expansion that was not lackluster? leveling and dailies? i seriously never understand this complaint about current expansions, when in past expansions i fail to see any other compelling end game contents, besides the mentioned before, that avoided those expansions to be also lackluster.
    Also i do totally disagree, about the size of the Mythic+ community, i think it is really huge.
    Last edited by mmoccf1d2005b5; 2016-10-24 at 12:44 PM.

I wouldn't doubt if half to two-thirds of them are the same person with alt accounts. Secondly, the people asking the question is probably what 5% of the entire community? So what they *think* is important the other 95% could care less.

Deleted
    One thing that i do not understand though, leaving appart vanilla,BC, and Wrath, where i do take in consideration the main game, or main end game for most people was learning to play wow (and this is a really huge amount of content), what content did ever have any expansion that was not luckluster? leveling and dailies? i seriously never understand this complaint about current expansions, when in past expansions i fail to see any other compelling end game contents, besides the mentioned before, that avoided those expansions to be also lackluster.
    Also i do totally disagree, about the size of the Mythic+ community, i think it is really huge.
    As I said in another topic, you re failing to take into consideration that the battle system of the game was deeply changed in the 3.0 patch. When people ask for a vanilla experience, they are asking for the old battle system to be back.

Pre 3.0 wow and post 3.0 wow are two distincts games. People ask for legacy servers because the pre 3.0 game doesn't exist anymore.

There is a clear question then: Would a legacy server announcement be justified as the big thing of Blizzcon 2016, even though many players, even for world of warcraft, would never touch the thing? I think it is like using the opening event to announce a new patch, where a new raid is the only feature: Few people would even care and alot of other people would feel like Blizzcon was wasted.
    I fail to understand that argument. Not everyone play starcraft, not everyone play HOTS, not everyone play diablo or hearthstone.... But by providing various gameplay experience you can satisfy a broader range of players. If the players who'd be pleased by legacy servers were the same players who would be satisfied by legion servers, then there would be no point providing legacy servers.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-10-24 at 12:51 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I wouldn't doubt if half to two-thirds of them are the same person with alt accounts. Secondly, the people asking the question is probably what 5% of the entire community? So what they *think* is important the other 95% could care less.
    Yet i doubt Blizzard can see that they are all alt accounts. If 30% of all the questions for the Q&A are about legacy, they are nearly forced to talk loudly about it, unless they want to accused of ignoreing the "community".

Deleted
    There is a clear question then: Would a legacy server announcement be justified as the big thing of Blizzcon 2016, even though many players, even for world of warcraft, would never touch the thing?
    No, it would not, it would be as stupid as saying they have big news about diablo, and then announce an hd version of D1, it would be a sad joke.

Not unless it's ready to go and they have all the details ready on it. I think most people would be just as happy with a panel to talk about it and here their thoughts on it. With a new expansion out I think it would be silly to have the " big event " be about a version of the game that is 12 years old. Keep in mind I'm someone that hopes they add them. I enjoyed my time on Nost, and I thought I never would find anything worth while on the Vanilla version of the game again.