the only real reasons I see not to SW > AS > AS > MS are:

1. you need to front-load damage
    2. you need to move so you MS and move during the gcd

in aoe situations, I almost always SW > AS > MS, otherwise I cast the AiS while I can

There's something to be said for SW-MS-Barrage in Mythic+ dungeons; You are likely bursting packs down so damage needs to be super frontloaded. I see a lot of hunters start out with barrage (because +55 focus when you are at 150 is a waste, so obviously, spend focus first), but generally, if you want to frontload your AOE you have to bite the focus-bullet. Doing SW-MS-Barrage gives Marking targets another ~4 seconds to trigger a second proc in order to follow up with another SW-MS, and at that point you'll be a windburst away from having a third charge of sidewinders up. It starts to fall off drastically after that, but by then the entire party should easily have dealt +6-8M damage to each mob in a pack and you can start picking them off with aimeds.

As for raids, it ultimately doesn't matter which way you use as long as you're not wasting any time not casting, and you're not wasting any procs.

Massive up for the survival spec :

Raptor Strike damage increased by 100%.
    Carve damage increased by 150%.
    Butchery damage increased by 35%.
    Throwing Axes damage increased by 25%.
    Animal Instincts has been redesigned: Flanking Strike now also reduces the remaining cooldown of a random one of the following abilities:
    Flanking Strike
    Mongoose Bite
    Aspect of the Eagle
    Harpoon
    Chic Not Geek

SW->MS->AiS lets you spend focus right away if you're at full focus, so it starts regenerating sooner and you gain focus across the fight. I usually SW->MS when starting something at full focus, but mid-pull if i'm not going to hit 100% focus i'll just do the normal SW->AiS(x1 or x2)->MS just to be conservative with patient sniper uptime, though usually in dungeons patient sniper uptime isn't a concern, since the mobs tend to be debuffed until they die anyway because sidewinders recharges between packs.

I don't know if everyone else does this or not, but it seems worth to be worth doing sidewinders->barrage->marked rather than the other order people are posting. This just puts barrage on cooldown a gcd earlier without sacrificing anything compared to SW->MS->Barrage, and you aren't potentially losing a marking targets proc like you would be if you instantly barraged. Vuln won't fall off before barrage ends, and you already spent your marking targets proc, nothing is wasted other than the 55 focus from sidewinders on pull.

In the occasional situation in m+ where you somehow end up sitting on a marking targets proc while barraging (ex:its on cd but procced, or it procced just barely before you started barrage), you can sidewinders just before the barrage channel ends, spending the proc so you wont waste any additional marking targets procs, since auto-attacks resume after barrage. I'm not sure if this makes us lose one "tick" of barrage, but even if it does it may be worth it.
    Last edited by Trictagon; 2016-10-25 at 03:48 AM.

if you are SW>marked shot to spend focus because you are at cap, you did something wrong. The only time that should happen is on the opener, and in that case you barrage next anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrol View Post
    if you are SW>marked shot to spend focus because you are at cap, you did something wrong. The only time that should happen is on the opener, and in that case you barrage next anyways.
    In mythic+ you have full focus and need to do an "opener" a dozen or two times per dungeon, it's a pretty common and important situation.

New to MM this week and I find the spec to be extremely uncomfortable to play. I dont consider myself a very good player and having to watch my focus and procs constantly leads to failing mechanics quite a bit. Maybe I should just stick with BM. T_T

I saw that the twisting wind trinket is high up there on the chart for multi target AOE. I have the mythic one and tried it out in LFR xavius trash + xavius.

So for the huge trash pulls before Xavius, it did 550k damage and for Xavius it did 1.4m damage.

Is this really a better trinket than even three toe/DMC/unstable horrorslime/etc under it on the bis list?

Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post
    It is really rare that you need to hold off on Barrage in a meaningful fashion. I do a retarded number of Mythic+ a day at the moment, mostly level 5-8 and with Teeming this week, and I almost never hold back due to fear of ninjapulling.

Set your nameplate draw/load distance to whatever your max range is (and add one or two yards). Now just think about it like "If I can't see the nameplate, Barrage won't hit it" and that actually works.

Welcome back.
    None of the nameplate addons allow me to do this. Can you please let me know how this draw distance is set?

Quote Originally Posted by Saurox View Post
    None of the nameplate addons allow me to do this. Can you please let me know how this draw distance is set?
    /run SetCvar("nameplateMaxDistance", INSERTNUMBERHERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    There's something to be said for SW-MS-Barrage in Mythic+ dungeons; You are likely bursting packs down so damage needs to be super frontloaded. I see a lot of hunters start out with barrage (because +55 focus when you are at 150 is a waste, so obviously, spend focus first), but generally, if you want to frontload your AOE you have to bite the focus-bullet. Doing SW-MS-Barrage gives Marking targets another ~4 seconds to trigger a second proc in order to follow up with another SW-MS, and at that point you'll be a windburst away from having a third charge of sidewinders up. It starts to fall off drastically after that, but by then the entire party should easily have dealt +6-8M damage to each mob in a pack and you can start picking them off with aimeds.

As for raids, it ultimately doesn't matter which way you use as long as you're not wasting any time not casting, and you're not wasting any procs.
    You mention that Windburst will grant you your 3rd charge of Sidewinders? Are you just referring to the CD of SW clearing at that point or are you implying that WB somehow grants you a charge of MT? MT is only procced by autoshot, always granting a charge on your first autoshot. Bad Luck Protection applies the follow chances to proc, increasing in chance after 6 unsuccessful auto shots not proccing MT.

Auto Shot Successfully proc's Marking Targets
    Auto Shot 25% chance to proc' Marking Targets
    Auto Shot 43.75% chance to proc' Marking Targets
    Auto Shot 62.5% chance to proc' Marking Targets
    Auto Shot 81.25% chance to proc' Marking Targets
    Auto Shot 100% chance to proc' Marking Targets

Deleted
    Recently i saw in Simcraft that the dmg of the pet part of flanking strike does not got the 62% dmg increase,
    beside this u may should change the rotation priority list and opener Sequence in the guide and maybe even stat priority ?
    First of all to the stat priority with alle changes to Flanking Strike and even more now with the animal instincts change and testing i think that we hould aim for:

20% haste to lower Flanking strike cd to 5 sec(its our main dmg source with ~20% of the overall dmg),
    Mongoose Bite to 10 sec(so u can fit in atleast 3 MB before u get at <=31secs cd on FotE
    and the gcd to 1.25 secs that way we can get more Mongoose bites into our burst phase even more now that FotE is on GCD
    also get the most benefits from haste before the natural diminisching return of it for reducing cd´s.

about ~43% Crit to be about 53% while AotE to get the most dmg out of crit and vers

after this "caps" are reacht just as u are right now in the guide Vers>crit>haste>mastery

For the rotation Priority Flankings Strike> Lacrate becouse it got higher dps in its cd time, means
    5 seconds of Lacrate deals less dmg that Flanking Strike (lacrate hits with ~50k, FS with about 400k+)

opener Sequence:
    1.Potion
    2.Pre-use Dragonsfire Granade
    3.(pull) harpoon
    4. Explosive Trap
    5. Flanking Strike
    6. Lacrate
    7.2-3 times Mongoose
    8. Flanking Strike
    9. depending on proccs use all remaining Mongoose bite stacks and Snake hunter
    9.1. at 5 Stacks Mongoose Fury use AotE
    10 Explosiv trap
    11. Flanking Strike
    12. Fury of the Eagle
    13. all remaining Mongoose bites u have now
    14. normal rotation

also i would not recomand to use an pet on tenacety since the extra procc change of u mastery is so bad that only the chance is very low and even that, it can be that u wont get a real dmg increase or even decrease of it so we are actually better with and Ferocety spect pet
    Last edited by mmocee66db8713; 2016-10-25 at 03:24 PM.

Nice find but I'd love a log with the Flanking Strike buff not being on the pet.

As for your stat comments, they are thin air.

Will redo math on Lacerate/Flanking Strike and priorities and whatnot.

Deleted
    on simulationcraft.org 2 or 3 days ago.would like to post the log but its not working on the site right now (till they implemented everything?)

There was Flanking strikes / hunter part shown with 220k DPE and the Pet part with about 100k DPE but it should do about 155k-161k DPE
    Last edited by mmocee66db8713; 2016-10-25 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingbenji View Post
    Massive up for the survival spec :
    And yet you still won't see people playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    And yet you still won't see people playing it.
    Agree with you, ONLY if they reach TOP 3 best DPS specs (and MM or BM is not there) you might see ppl playing as a melee Hunter, after all, why would you roll a Hunter to melee ?

But even saying that i like the Survival for fun, i often do the daily heroic as a Survival, would be better if they add more ranged abilities to be a hybrid. An Unholy DK has way more options as ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Korbben View Post
    Agree with you, ONLY if they reach TOP 3 best DPS specs (and MM or BM is not there) you might see ppl playing as a melee Hunter, after all, why would you roll a Hunter to melee ?

But even saying that i like the Survival for fun, i often do the daily heroic as a Survival, would be better if they add more ranged abilities to be a hybrid. An Unholy DK has way more options as ranged.
    It won't see play even as the top spec. The entire spec is a failure from a design point of view. It has no strengths to its name.

looks like AS did get nerfed

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I might be crazy but did BM get nerfed? KC during BW hits like a soggy noodle.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I might be crazy but did BM get nerfed? KC during BW hits like a soggy noodle.
    Can we please get some context with your statement?